Second body found in three months

This is a discussion on Second body found in three months within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me being new here, you guys don't know that i work for an oil company in Texas as an oil and gas well production tech. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second body found in three months

Second body found in three months

Me being new here, you guys don't know that i work for an oil company in Texas as an oil and gas well production tech. It's great work, the pay is good and we are out in the wilderness all the time. The down side is we are alone all day in the middle of nowhere, so we have to be really careful not to get hurt or stuck somewhere that we can't even get phone service. Through the years we have found drug labs, burned out cars, stolen boats, and have equipment stolen from our well locations all the time.

Today we found a guy that had committed suicide at one of our secluded oil well locations. Turns out he had shot and killed his wife this morning and been on the run from LE all day; sure glad we didn't have anyone on that location when he pulled up.

Three months ago we found a young woman that had been beat to death at one of our wells. They finally solved that murder and two guys are behind bars awaiting trial.

Just two more reasons I always have a .40 cal strapped on my side; and some just think I'm paranoid.
    John Luttrell

2. Remove Ads

Another reason I carry. I dont work around remote oil rigs, but it could happen anywhere. Thanks for the news.

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Me being new here, you guys don't know that i work for an oil company in Texas as an oil and gas well production tech. It's great work, the pay is good and we are out in the wilderness all the time. The down side is we are alone all day in the middle of nowhere, so we have to be really careful not to get hurt or stuck somewhere that we can't even get phone service. Through the years we have found drug labs, burned out cars, stolen boats, and have equipment stolen from our well locations all the time.

Today we found a guy that had committed suicide at one of our secluded oil well locations. Turns out he had shot and killed his wife this morning and been on the run from LE all day; sure glad we didn't have anyone on that location when he pulled up.

Three months ago we found a young woman that had been beat to death at one of our wells. They finally solved that murder and two guys are behind bars awaiting trial.

Just two more reasons I always have a .40 cal strapped on my side; and some just think I'm paranoid.
    Thanks for the post, watch your 6 out there!

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Any relation to Marcus Luttrel?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Texas is a dangerous place,lots of bad things going on and lots of desolate land.I would carry a rifle or shotty for backup just in case if your company allows it,tell them its a snake gun for really big "snakes"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The company I work for has an implied no weapons policy, which was briefed with a wink at the field level. I do however show respect by disarming before I go onto the company office property. It would probably be pushing it to carry a rifle in the truck against policy though.

I know how some folks feel about this, but in this case I just have to say what they don't know won't hurt them and if I actually have to use it, I was going to be on the local news anyway.

As far as being related to Marcus; I don't think I'm related to him, but could be as I have some relatives in Texas that I've never met. Guess I should check into it sometime.
    John Luttrell

RMS
    Thanks for the post.

Don't worry, John you are not alone. I used to work out there as a roughneck and then a driller later on back in the 80s; I mainly worked out in the Permian basin area, as well as Rincon and down around Live Oak County from George West to Tilden and on down to Carrizo Springs; I can tell you firsthand about the problems with illegal aliens, they used to come through and beg for food all the time on the rigs I worked. At night we used to have to gaurd the equipment when we worked rigs on the ranches near the border, because they would steal anything that wasn't nailed down.

I even know of some old timers who used to tell us about shooting them like "turtles on a pond" when they came swimming across the river, too.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I do 'deep woods' hiking in remote areas of MN, searching for 1910-1920 logging camp remnants. Two years ago I came across a small pot farm so far out in the middle of nowhere it would blow your mind. Nobody was there and I reported it. But, just imagine if you walk into a pot farm by accident and the growers see you and have to make a tough choice about securing their secret. I've scaled up my firepower on hikes.

heck weve had 10 murders in the past week in my town 2 last friday and 8 more in the mass murder here in glynn county :(
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Don't ever take that pistol off either!

BTW... If you are frequently in area's without cell phone service in those remote area's. You might think about getting a satellite phone.

Phones themselves are not too unreasonable as they have some fairly affordable plan rates for minimal usage.

Or, you may see if the company would invest in a satellite phone for the crews who work in remote area's!

I have some sources for Satellite phones and plans if you are interested, just PM me.

Stay safe and keep that .40 cal on ya!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks for the report.

Anytime I leave the beaten path, I’m armed.. But then again, I’m armed when I go up the road to Publix.

The difference being I carry my Glock and a few extra magazines.

Stay armed...stay very alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow, That's the kinda excitement I can do without. Rough way to start the workday. +1 on the satellite phone, might be worth the investment in your line of work. Cheers.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Y'know, I went a lot of years without a cell phone at all, and I've always spent a lot of time in very remote areas. A person learns to take care of theirself out there. If someone doesn't feel like they're fully capable of doing that, they don't usually go out very often (if they're smart).

I do keep a cell phone around these days, but it's mostly for other's sake when I'm in far away places. My wife likes to hear from me, and oft-times worries if she knows I'm out in the hills and doesn't hear from me for a day or two. A man has to adjust to such things when he takes a wife.

The fact is, if you REALLY need help in a remote area, help is likely at least an hour or more away even if you have cell phone coverage. You better be able to take care of yourself out there, or you might end up as a statistic on the evening news.

I live in the Mexico border area of SE Arizona. It's a travel corridor for both human and drug smugglers, so you learn to be aware of your surroundings, and take appropriate measures to keep yourself relatively safe.

In all honesty, I feel safer out in the hills than I do in town. There's fewer people out there, so any stranger is viewed with suspicion until proven safe. In town, we're more accustomed to having strangers close to us, and more of them, so we're generally less cautious.

But, a fella should do what makes him feel safer, I reckon. If a satelite phone does the trick, then go for it. Just be careful about depending on it too much. ;)

Daryl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links