Defensive Carry banner

Might be moving to Texas have questions

4K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  tbmccord 
#1 ·
There is a fairly good chance I could be relocating from Anchorage Alaska to I believe its Breckinridge Texas next year because I was offered a job. I tried going on handgunlaw.us to look up the gun laws but my computer does not agree with PDF files for some reason and it freezes up when I view them. I tried going on yahoo to look up the gun laws of Texas and couldn't really find anything so if anyone has a good site to look at let me know! This is about all I know when it comes to owning and carrying guns in Texas.

Open carry is prohibited
Something about a 51% law in restaraunts that serve alcohol (please clarify)
Citizens are authorized to use deadly force to protect property
Any place with a 30.06 sign is prohibited to weapons by state law.

That is about all I know about Texas's gun laws.

I also want to know the turn around time to obtain a Texas carry permit.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
This shoudl help some...

Check this out...

Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

Theres an FAQ section on there too, that will give you the general basics.

Turnaround time is something like 5 or 6 months last I heard, Im not sure if its gotten any better.

Open Carry is definitely out. Our governor is said to be in support of it so we'll see next time the issue comes up.

In advance, welcome to Texas, you'll love it here.

Alex!

#3 ·
Unfortunately that site has all PDF files and I cannot view them without having this computer freeze up on me.

#4 ·
OC is illegal here.

"51% Establishments" are bars and it is unlawful to carry there. Most of them I've seen are pretty well posted with the required signs.

You have to be a resident six months to apply for the permit as well. I don't have the permit yet, but plan on getting it sometime... no idea when.

#5 ·
#6 ·
pre-welcome to Texas!

sorry about the computer problem, most of the info on the DPS website concerning CHL is in pdf

The 30.06 signs are used by private entity to prevent carry on their property, they must meet the state requirements to be valid
The 51% signs are used at places that make the majority of their profits from alcohol sales and are a no-carry zone.
Those are the only two signs you need to worry about, all the rest are either invalid or don't apply to CHLs
Yes Texas can use deadly force to protect property but there are some requirements. PM or email me.

Wait times are ranging from 3-6 months, we've had a huge increase in CHL applicants :congrats: but not a huge increase in resources to deal with them :frown:

Check your email. I can hook you up with the info in a format you need.

If you're really bored, really interested in what the laws are, or if you can't sleep some night then go here and read chapter 9, 30, and 46 for use of deadly force, tresspassing, and weapons laws straight from the penal code :smile:
Texas Constitution and Statutes - Home
they open in plain text

if you need anything or have any questions PM, and again pre-welcome to Texas

#7 ·
According to handgunlaw.us Texas honours non-resident permits so since they have a notoriously long waiting time, perhaps you want to get a non-res permit from a different state to have in the event you move. Couldn't hurt to have anyway.. especially if they require you to be a resident for six months first. (My understanding of the resident permits says that after you move to Texas, your resident Alaska permit is invalid. yes?)

#9 ·
Ok, I am going to help you out, but your going to have to work for it. This is a link to the Texas Statutes and will come up in HTML format. Texas Constitution and Statutes - Home

Below is from the Texas CHL handbook with every statute referenced and what it pertains to. Many of them are simply stuff that your not going to be concerned about, who can apply and mumbo jumbo like that. But the other ones are things that you will need to know. It may take some time but you can look over the list and then go to the link and read the actual statutes so that you know what the law is.

If you would like I can convert the pdf format of the handbook into a word document or whatever and email it to you if you need.

Oh, and good luck on your job. We can always use some more good folks down this way.

GOVERNMENT CODE
GC CH . 411 . DEPARTMENT OF PUBUC SAFETY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS
Subch . H . LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN ~ ~ . . . . . . . . . .
fj411.171. DEFINITIONS ............................................................................................. 2
§ 41 1 .1 71 1 . CERTAIN E%EMPTK)NSF ROM CONVICTIONS. ....................................3.
w11.172. ELIGIBILITY. ............................................................................................... 3
W11.173. NONRESIDENT LICENSE. ........................................................................ 5
9411 .1 74 . APPLICATION ...........................................................................................6.
w11.175. REQUEST FOR APPUCATION MATERIALS. ........................................... 7
91 1.1 76 . REVIEW OF APPLICATION MATERIALS .................................................. 6
§411.177. ISSUANCE OR DENIAL OF LICENSE. ...................................................... Q
W11.178. NOTICE TO LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT .............................................. Q
&11.179. FORM OF LICENSE ................................................................................... Q
w11.180. NOTIFICATION OF DENIAL . REVOCATION. OR SUSPENSION OF
LICENSE ............................................................................................. 10
w11.181. NOTICE OF CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR NAME .................................... 12
w11.182. NOTICE. ................................................................................................... 13
w11.183. EXPIRATION ............................................................................................ 13
w11.184. MODIFICATION ........................................................................................ 14
1 1 . 1 RENEWAL. .....................................................................................1..4.. ......
W11.186. REVOCATION. .......................................................................................1..5
SUSPENSION OF UCENSE. ................................................................... 16
HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT ........................................... 17
EXEMPTION FROM INSTRUCTION FOR CERTAIN PERSONS ............ 19
WEMPTK>N FROM HANDGUN PROFICIENCY CERTIFICATE ........... 19
HANDGUN PROFICIENCY CERTIFICATE. ............................................. 20 . . . . . . . . . .
QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTORS. ................................................ 21
REVIEW OF DENIAL . REVOCATION . OR SUSPENSION OF
CERTIFICATtDN AS QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR. .......... 22
CONFIDE~LIWO F RECORDS. ........................................................ 22
STATISTICAL REPORT. .......................................................................... 22
REDUCTION OF FEES DUE TO INDIGENCY. ........................................ 22
REWCTION OF FEES FOR SENOR CITIZENS. .................................. 23
WANER OR REDUCTION OF FEES ... MTERNS ................................ 23
METHOD OF PAYMENT .......................................................................... 23
RULES ...................................................................................................... 24
LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER ALIAS HANDGUN LICENSE .............. 24
HONORABLY REtlRED PEACE OFFICERS .......................................... 24
ACTIVE PEACE OFFICERS. .................................................................... 25
APPLICATION TO LICENSED SECURITY OFFICERS ........................... 26
LICENSE A BENEFIT ............................................................................... 27
RIGHTS OF EMPLOYERS. ...................................................................... 27
NOTICE REQUIRED ON CERTAIN PREMISES. ..................................... 26
DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY .......................................................... 28
SECURE OF HANDGUN AND LICENSE ................................................ 28
&I1 .% 7. A ~ R I T OYF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM. ...................................2 9
941 1208 . LIMITATION OF LIABILITY ...................................................................... 29
HEALTH (L SAFETY CODE
512.092. MEDICAL ADVISORY BOARD: BOARD MEMBERS ............................... 30
512.095. BOARD PANELS; POWERS AND DUTIES ............................................. 30
PENAL CODE fp0.05. CRIMINAL TRESPASS ............................................................................. 31
fp0.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. .....................................................................................3..4..
g8.01. DEFINITIONS ...........................................................................................3 4
542.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. ....................................................................... 35
PENAL CODE CH . 46 .WEAPONS
546.01. DEFINITIONS ......................................................................................3..6.. .
546.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAWNS. ....................................................3..7
646.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED ......................................................... 38
h.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY UCENSE HOLDER ........... 39
546.04. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREARM .............................................. 41
w.041. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF METAL OR BODY ARMOR ..................4 2
2 GC§411.171. TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS
§40.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS ........................................................................ 42
§40.06. UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS ............................... 43
W.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE ...................................................................... 44
§40.08. HOAX BOMBS ...................................................................................... 44
W.09. COMPONENTS OF VCPLOSNES .......................................................... 44
DEADLY WEAPON IN PENAL INSTITUTION ......................................... 44
OFFENSE COMMITTED WrmlN WEAPON-FREE SCHOOL ZONE ..... 45 - - - - - - - - - -
b . 1 2 . MAPS AS EVIDENCEOF LOCATION OR AREA. .................................. 45
W.13. MAKING A FIREARM ACCESSIBLE TO A CHILD .................................. 45
640.15. NONAPPLICABILTTY. .............................................................................. 46
EDUC~ONCO DE
g7.125. EXHIBITION OF FIREARMS ................................................................... 51
FAMILY CODE W.003. SEALING OF RECORDS. .......................................................................5. 1
GOVERNMENT CODE
576.0051. AUTHORIZATION TO CARRY WEAWN. .............................................. 51
W11.047. REPORTING RELATED TO CONCEALED HANDGUN INCIDENTS. .... 51
HUMAN RESOURCE CODE
W.001. FINGERPRINTING FOR IDENTIFICATION. ........................................... 52
L O CG~OV ERNMENT CODE
$229.001. FIREARMS; EYPLOSMS .................................................................. 52
§2!50.001. RESTRICTION ON REGULATION OF SPORT SHOOTING

TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS PC s9.03. 55
CHAPTER 2
SELECTED DEADLY FORCE STATUTES
PENAL CODE
CH. 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSllUTY
Subch. A GENERAL PROVISIONS
69.01. DEFINITIONS ........................................................................................... 55
i9.02. JUSTIFICATION AS A DEFENSE ............................................................ 55
59.03. CONFINEMENT AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE ................. .......................... 55
69.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE ....................... .... ......................... 56
h.05. RECKLE~SI~ IJURY OF INNOCENT THIRD PERSON ........................... 56
59.06. CNlL REMEDIES UNAFFEl?TED ............................................................ 56
Subch. B. JUSTIFICATION GENERALLY
5921. PUBUC DUTY ......................................................................................5.6.. .
59.22. NECESSITY .............................................................................................. 56
Subch. C. PROTECTION OF PERSONS
59.3. SELF-DEFENSE .................... ................................................................... 57
59.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. ....................................... 5
59.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON ............................................................... 59
59.34. PROTECTION OF UFE OR HEALTH ...................................................... 59
Subdr. D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY
59.41. PROTECTION OF ONFS OWN PROPERTY .......................................... 59
59.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY ......................................... 60
59.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY ................................ 60
59.44. USE OF WICE TO PROTECT PROPERTY ......................................... w
Subch. E. LAW ENFORCEMENT
59.51. ARREST AND SEARCH ........................................................................... 61
59.52. PRMNTION OF ESCAPE FROM CUSTODY ....................................... 62
59.53. MAINTAINING SECURITY IN CORRECTIONAL FACILITY ... : ................ 62
Subch. F. SPECIAL RELATIONSHIPS
59.61. PARENT-CHILD. ....................................................................................6. 2
59.62. EWCATOR-STUDENT .......................................................................... 62
59.63. GUARDIAN-INCOMPETENT .................................................................. 62
CML PRACrmE AND REMEDIES CODE
CH. W. WE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON
§83.001. CNlL IMMUNITY ...................................................................................... 63

#10 ·
I went ahead and converted it to word. The formating is a bit off, but everything that is in the manual from the state is here.

#11 ·
I'd second the advice to pick up a non-resident permit from a state with recipocity with TX. Find one that offers reciprocity with states that may not be included in the TX permit that you eventually get and you'll get some additional bang for your buck too.

#13 ·
"Citizens are authorized to use deadly force to protect property."

This is not in affect during the day really. But at night it's open game in your home and includes your car as that is seen as an extension of your home.

Each city is a little different with what they actually let you get away with. Austin will probably not back you up.

You can legally carry a gun to your car and to a firing range.
I'm not too clear on if you can or can't keep a firearm in your glove compartment without a CHL. People have told me different things and I didn't see it in the manual.

But withOUT a CHL you can carry in your car as it's an extension of your home. But I believe it can't be within easy access, arms reach.

If you even smell like a gang member all this is null and void.

In El Paso we can still hang you for robbing a bank or stealing horses. :gah:

PS its HOT down here...

#14 ·
"

You can legally carry a gun to your car and to a firing range.
I'm not too clear on if you can or can't keep a firearm in your glove compartment without a CHL. People have told me different things and I didn't see it in the manual.

But withOUT a CHL you can carry in your car as it's an extension of your home. But I believe it can't be within easy access, arms reach.
Slight clarification. WITHOUT a valid CHL, you can carry on your person, CONCEALED, directly to and from your vehicle, IE. walking from your home to your car and vice versa. You can carry the weapon on your person, CONCEALED, while in your vehicle. The problem here is that if you step out of your vehicle for any reason other than as stated above you committing a crime, Safest bet is to put in the glove box, center console or otherwise have it concealed while in the car. This is all covered by the Motorist Protection Act that became effective in Sept. 1997.

#16 ·
Yep, if PA accepts your Alaska license, you can get a non-resident permit for $26 and only have to provide a xerox copy of your DL and your CHL. Once you start working in Texas you will be considered a resident and then you will have to wait 6 months before you can apply for a Tx CHL.

#17 ·
see
TexasCHLforum.com good chl forum
Texas Gun Talk good texas gun forum
TexasOnline: Official Portal of Texas The State website

gonna be hot down down here compared to Alaska, I mean frickin HOT .
Without CHL
we can have a gun on our person OC on property we are in control of.
in your car , must conceal
proctecting property in daylight is alittle different than at night.
shootem at night
CHL takes a while once mailed. I'm still waiting and it's been over 90 days since they recieved my App, :( average it 90-180 dayz

#18 ·
Thanks for the clarification Boss.
Yeah it will be like your hottest day in Alaska for seven months. You just slow down, don't move as fast as you are use to, and you'll be alright.
On the plus side you don't have to chip ice away from your car's keyhole to get in.

#20 ·
SubNine, welcome to Texas if your transfer materializes. Your ?'s are mostly covered by now, but specific to app. timing, my CHL came in 2 weeks ago, took 110 days, 10 days short of 4 months, mailbox to mailbox.

Mailed 4/29/09, received 8/19/09. It took 6 weeks for the state to get the app. entered into the system for them to even acknowledge they had it & start working on it, per their letter to me dated 6/9/09.

My app. was "clean" from the git-go, meaning it didn't require any re-submissions of missing or erroneous items.

A required CHL class conducted by a state approved instructor is $75 - $150, then your TX CHL application fee (non-refundable) is $125.00 & requires a TX driver's license. That may add another month to the process ... count on 5 months if it were today, no telling what it might be next year.

Good luck, stay safe, hope your job situation works out the way you want. If you decline the job, send me the contact info, I may want to apply for it.

#21 ·
Just a point of clarification on the 51% sales from alcohol: That is actually for business that generate 51% of their revenue from ON PREMESIS consumption.

I would highly recommend the earlier poster's recommendation of visiting TexasCHLforum.com. It's a great resource.

Welcome in advance to Texas!

Cheers!

#22 ·
I do have an Alaska concealed handgun permit which I believe Texas honors. Can I just use that while I wait 6 months to take a Texas state approved handgun course and get the license there?

Thanks again everyone for the information and advice, this is such a great forum!

#25 ·
The fee to the state is determined by your age, military status, and I believe Law enforcement status.

#24 ·
According to handgunlaws.us here in this forum, any valid Alaska permit is honored in Texas. You just need to make certain that your move does not render that permit invalid by Alaska law.

Welcome to Texas!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.