rechambering? - Page 3

rechambering?

This is a discussion on rechambering? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 ...let springs rest for a while occasionally... Hm. My understanding was that it was the repeated flexing (compression and release) of ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: rechambering?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    ...let springs rest for a while occasionally...
    Hm. My understanding was that it was the repeated flexing (compression and release) of a spring which wore it out, not 'always compressed'. Anyone have the answer on this?

Note: the idea of cleaning out the dust bunnies is a good one. Have you been inspecting my mags?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

CARRY A REVOLVER(sorry had to be said;) )
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    That's easily allowed for by rotating the round that's chambered after a range session. Certainly nothing to cause anyone to choose not to carry chambered due to the concern!
    No and that wasn't what I said. I was just giving a reason you would be ejecting a round from a SD gun. That's what the person I quoted asked.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    +++++1111..... Load it and leave it.
    Again, if you're taking the pistol to the range or cleaning it regularly you will spit the round out. It's what you do to clear the pistol! He's not talking about just running a mag through the gun manually a bunch of times.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    While current ammo is good from now on, I still always shoot my carry ammo. Reason is moisture, oils from the gun and us can affect the round over time.

jWhile I understand practicing with cheap ball ammo, my first volley of rounds is with the magazine I’ve been carrying. So set back is never a problem because it’s only been racked once.

When I leave the range, I return home clean and lube the weapon, and then load it with fresh rounds.
    That sounds like a good simple plan... But when I get to the car, I have a my spare mag waiting with my SD rounds loaded, allready to go back in my gun,for the ride home.Its back in my holster,where it allways is when im outta bed,and not in the shower.Drive home with a empty gun?? Im not that trusting...I havent been unarmed since Ive had my (HCP) Hand Gun Carry Permit.,thats what they call it in Tennessee,open carry state.

If I'm reading it correctly, Jensens first test was WITHOUT feeding from the magazine and set back occurred. Does that mean inserting the round in the chamber and dropping the slide? If so, and the bullet wasn't getting bashed into the feed ramp, what pushed the bullet into the case?

Correct. In my first test I would lock the slide to the rear, drop a brand new round into the chamber, hit the slide release and let 'er fly. The extractor would slam into the back of the cartridge, and it mangled it up pretty good after seven times.

The second test I took another new round and loaded it into an empty magazine. This time I would lock the slide to the rear, insert the magazine with the single round, hit the slide release. This is obviously easier on the back of the cartridge and the extractor, but I measured equal results after seven times.

I don't think the feed ramp had anything to do with the setback, as the second test left the overall length .001" longer. I am guessing it is just inertia causing the setback. This was all done using a GLOCK 23, and Independence brand .40 S&W 180 grain FMJ ammunition.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by dkpeppard View Post
    I am so glad I saw this post. I had no idea you should not rechamber the same round and did not realize the risks involved with doing so.
    Same here - info like this makes me glad I found this site!

By and large, rechambering a round is no big deal. Especially if you lock the slide back and look into the chamber with a loaded magazine inserted to see if that top round is basically a straight feed into the chamber. It is for my 1911s and Glocks. No "banging" or "slamming" of the bullet nose into anything.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Jensen View Post
    I don't think the feed ramp had anything to do with the setback, as the second test left the overall length .001" longer. I am guessing it is just inertia causing the setback.

I was looking at your pictures as close as I could. Do you think the setback was cause by the forcing cone rather than inertia? I was looking for land marks on the bullet tip but cannot see any. I was always told that setback was created by the feed ramp and its angle. The straighter the bullet enters the chamber, the less setback will occur. The steeper the feed ramp, the more chance of setback. Your pics and test is very interesting, maybe I should do my own similar testing. Food for thought. Thanks for posting the pics, it raises new suspicions for me.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member
    I have had several carry rounds experience severe setback from chambering. At the time, it was impossible to get my hands on SD ammo, so I only had the same dozen rounds to cycle. This means that after clearing the gun for a dozen trips to the range, I began re-chambering rounds afterwards.

Since this was in my ONLY handgun, and I needed to practice, my only option was repeated chamberings.

"Leaving it alone" wasn't an option; "firing after x chamberings" wasn't an option. Best bet upder similar circumstances: cycle after every chambering, check for setback.

So, Xader, did you fire those rounds? Any problems if you did?

I chamber 2-3 times. Then I fire those rounds at the range. Never had a problem, I have probably fired around 500 bullets that have been chambered up to 3 times.
    When I know I will be taking the gun apart/cleaning/etc... and rechambering the same round a couple of times in a short period, I load the gun with one good reliable JHP and the rest are my premium SD ammo.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by glock45 View Post
    I load the gun with one good reliable JHP and the rest are my premium SD ammo.
    What's the difference? A "good reliable JHP" IS a "premium" round in my book...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I was looking at your pictures as close as I could. Do you think the setback was cause by the forcing cone rather than inertia? I was looking for land marks on the bullet tip but cannot see any. I was always told that setback was created by the feed ramp and its angle. The straighter the bullet enters the chamber, the less setback will occur. The steeper the feed ramp, the more chance of setback. Your pics and test is very interesting, maybe I should do my own similar testing. Food for thought. Thanks for posting the pics, it raises new suspicions for me.
    I have looked for the forcing cone/land marks on my bullet tip, using a lighted magnifying glass. Never found any. I have found some scuff looking marks (one side, not around) that I assumed were from the ramp. I'm not sure how much it is ramp and how much just plain inertia. Any one have a url discussing this?

BTY, I was looking for a site that I saw some time ago where someone compared different manufactures' .40s and found some major differences in susceptibility to set-back. Couldn't find it. If anyone has it book-marked, please post, or PM me, the url.

FWIIW, I take the chambers SD .40s and put them in a cup on the dresser.

When I'm going to the range, I micrometer the bunch at one time. (Less likely to get forgetful/lazy/etc that way.)

The ones with no set-back go back in the box and get re-chambered. Those 1.115 get shot. Never had one much shorter than 1.115. If I did, I'd trash it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links