rechambering?

This is a discussion on rechambering? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to get into a habit of daily dry fire practice so this is an issue I am going to have to ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: rechambering?

I have been trying to get into a habit of daily dry fire practice so this is an issue I am going to have to figure out. I had heard about setback before but was not sure I was understanding it. By definition, dry practice requires clearing the gun. I have typically been removing the mag and ejecting the round in the chamber. When dry practice in complete, I load the mag, chamber a round, remove the mag, put the original chambered round in the mag, and re-insert the mag.

Sounds like I better take the chambered round and the top round in each magazine (I dry practice with a G27, G23, and G22) and either measure them or toss them since they have been chambered dozens of times by now. Maybe I should get a micrometer.

Thanks for the info.
    NRA Life Member

To be safe, last night when I got home, I removed the chambered round in both my Glocks that I've been rechambering, and chambered a fresh round.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    What's the difference? A "good reliable JHP" IS a "premium" round in my book...
    Nice Avatar. My niece has that book too.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I have a G26, and I know for a fact that it will cause setback in rounds that are rechambered too often. How often is hard to say, but I have seen it happen where the round was clearly shorter than the rest. So, I quit doing what I had been doing (my wife didn't like having a fully loaded gun around while we were sleeping, so I would take the round out at night and rechamber it in the morning). BAD idea!
    (I have since told her to live with it, I wasn't going to be ejecting the round out at night anymore). Like the guy said earlier, its a carry gun -- load it up and leave it alone!
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I would leave the gun alone and keep the round chambered until I'm ready to shoot it.

My practice mags are different than my SD mags, they are the same just different color. Stainless for my SD mags, and blued for my practice mags. When going to a shoot, I just leave the SD mags @ home. They stay full all the time. I fire the round that I've carried for a while when I start my shooting. Then when I come home I put away my range mags and chamber a round off one of my SD mags and top off with a feresh round and seat that mag.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    So, Xader, did you fire those rounds? Any problems if you did?
    Definitely not.

When there was visible setback, I discarded them. After several months, I was able to re-supply. I then fired the ones I had been using but weren't visibly set back. They all fired fine.

My Glock 23 alternates with my S&W 640 for winter EDC duty. I fire off the chambered round( After checking for excessive setback with a vernier caliper) as the first round of practice fire at the range. I go to the range weekly and the pistol is cleaned (empty) when I return home. I EDC a S&W 60 on the days I fire the range. Once I fire my guns on the range they come home empty to be cleaned.

This whole post is interesting to me because I check all of my ammo, carry and range, before putting it in my guns. This includes .38 Spl as well as .40 S&W. All ammo is weighed on a digital powder scale, put through a go/no go overall length die and then checked with calipers for length. (die culls out obvious problems) Once calibrated the ammo to be used is put into plastic ammo boxes. Yes this is a time consuming process, but as I am about to set off a controlled explosion in my hands, right in front of my face, I feel it rates some concern.

To those who argue that this shouldn't be necessary if you buy quality ammo, my tests have shown that some of the most expensive ammo is the least consistent in manufacture. I measure consistency by the Standard Deviation (SD) and the variance from the mean (curve) allowing for Standard Error of Measurement (SEM) of my tools.

I have QC'd almost every major U.S. and foreign made brand.

My grandma used to say " If you can't say something nice about somebody, don't say anything at all."

Keeping in that spirit, let me say that I find Speer, Winchester and Hornady to be the most consistent within any lot.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Gonna run this test today with my G26 and 147gr Rem GS carry ammo.
    Each of us has a natural right, from God, to defend his person, his liberty, and his property.

Frederic Bastiat

Very interesting info here but I'm still left with a question or two for the "experts"!

I have a brand new G33...hasn't had a round in the chamber yet! My strategy was/is to hand set a round in the chamber then slowly (controlled) release the slide, then fully seat the mag.

Since this will be my CCW as well as HDW, I shouldn't be unchambering except when going into the range and right now I only have one type of ammo to worry about.

Does anyone forsee any setback possibilities using my strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhumbrunner View Post
    Very interesting info here but I'm still left with a question or two for the "experts"!

I have a brand new G33...hasn't had a round in the chamber yet! My strategy was/is to hand set a round in the chamber then slowly (controlled) release the slide, then fully seat the mag.

Since this will be my CCW as well as HDW, I shouldn't be unchambering except when going into the range and right now I only have one type of ammo to worry about.

Does anyone forsee any setback possibilities using my strategy?

You could load a bullet this way, but the extractor on a GLOCK was not designed for this.

You would have to push the slide closed with a little force to push the extractor over the cartridge rim.

If you load this way, and the slide is not fully seated on the round, you could possibly fire the pistol out of battery.

This would be bad for you and your GLOCK.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

buy a caliper and check for OAL every so often. NO big deal.

Also I run about 8 - 10 rechambers before noticing a significant move. I retire rounds after about 6 rechamberings and use that as my rotation of ammo and the ammo to fire to keep used to using my SD ammo.

Not really a big deal to get in the habit of rotating.
    AVERY big deal if you don't and shoot a seriously compressed load.
    Boom goes the bullet and the gun is a very real possibility.

Brought home some calipers and measured a bunch of Remington JHP 9mm defense rounds this weekend and found they ranged from 1.085" to 1.100" out of the box.

Rechambered one over and over again, about 10 times, and the dog-gone thing didn't move! Measured 1.094" every time.

Another one, that had been rechambered a couple times beforehand, did seem to be shortening up .001" or so the couple times I re-chambered and re-checked it.

They all became scratched up though, due to the repeated chamberings, and to me this seemed to be the bigger deal.

I think I saw enough that I don't want to take the chance with too many re-chamberings of the same round, but also that I don't have to be too terribly anal about it.

I have had a similar experience. Some ammo must be crimped/sealed better.

I had a 9MM round that I could not get to budge, but boy did I destroy the case trying!
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

You can just compare the bullet that has been chamber with one that has not and compare length. Check against same brand.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links