Contemplating CWP, but have questions.

This is a discussion on Contemplating CWP, but have questions. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MadMac For those who post that they carry 24/7/365, then start listing all the places the must disarm......well......I guess it's a matter ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating CWP, but have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    For those who post that they carry 24/7/365, then start listing all the places the must disarm......well......I guess it's a matter of what you call "carry".
    Yup, and there's even a person right here in this thread who claimed that very same "I always carry" thing. Right down to even saying the exact same thing...24/7/365. Yeah, right... Kel-Tec P3AT up the ol' crack in the shower or something?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    For those who post that they carry 24/7/365, then start listing all the places the must disarm......well......I guess it's a matter of what you call "carry".
    These are the only places I disarm if I'm going to one of them.

A public gathering as defined and includes, but is not limited too, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies and/or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings(Fed, state, or local government buildings), and establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises and it derives less than 50 percent of their total annual gross food and beverage sales from the sale of prepared meals or food (Basically bars but not restaurants with bars in them. Check their business license if you are not sure as the state license lists what is a restaurant that servers alcohol and what is a bar. Does not apply to stores that sell alcohol for consumption somewhere else, like liquor stores, gas stations, etc.). Nothing in this code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to do so.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I've wondered about things like family reunions or kids' birthday parties in a city park. Is that a "public gathering" and, therefore, off limits for carry? Anyone can answer, so it doesn't have to be you Gotta...what happened to your 24/7/365 comment earlier???

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    Yup, and there's even a person right here in this thread who claimed that very same "I always carry" thing. Right down to even saying the exact same thing...24/7/365. Yeah, right... Kel-Tec P3AT up the ol' crack in the shower or something?
    Nobody on the planet actually carries 24/7/365. I think everyone pretty much knows, though, what people mean when they say they carry all of the time. I carry 100% of the time that I am legally allowed to when I am away from my home and much of the time when I am inside the home. IMO opinion that is "all of the time", "24/7/365" or any other way you choose describe it. There's no reason to get testy about individual definition of it...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I understand what you're saying, Bumper, but this guy was swearing up and down about it.

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    I understand what you're saying, Bumper, but this guy was swearing up and down about it.
    That's some imagination ya got there fella.. Good luck with that.

Thanks Bumper for explaining that to,

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

The Law (capitalized).Sigh.
    speaking hypothetically of course, some people probably choose to carry wherever the probability of detection is low, the penalty of detection low, the reward for having a weapon high. That of course is a personal decision based very much on the person, the situation, and the consequences for that person.

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Carry when you can, lock it up when you can't. Life and the law are not perfect.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Depends on your state. In GA the signs placed by individual company's and businesses means nothing. If made while on the property and you refuse to leaver you can be charged with trespassing, a misdemeanor.
    The OP, and this thread, is about NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post
    The OP, and this thread, is about NC.
    Yes, I see that after closer inspection. Sorry, got a little sidetracked in this thread.

Yes, I see that after closer inspection. Sorry, got a little sidetracked in this thread.
    I appreciate all the responses so far. The more information the better. But, the law is readily available for my review and I'm sure I'll be going over it in detail with an instructor before I get a CWP. My original question was geared more towards what an experienced carrier does on a daily basis, assuming they adhere to law, with regards to routines for disarming and rearming. I'm not sure how much attention I want to draw to myself inadvertently flashing a handgun in a parking lot a couple times a day. Where do you put it? How do you put it there? What did you do in the beginning that you changed and do differently now? etc..

But, I still appreciate everyone's input and generosity so far.

Arithmatech

Quote Originally Posted by Arithmatech View Post
    I appreciate all the responses so far. The more information the better. But, the law is readily available for my review and I'm sure I'll be going over it in detail with an instructor before I get a CWP. My original question was geared more towards what an experienced carrier does on a daily basis, assuming they adhere to law, with regards to routines for disarming and rearming. I'm not sure how much attention I want to draw to myself inadvertently flashing a handgun in a parking lot a couple times a day. Where do you put it? How do you put it there? What did you do in the beginning that you changed and do differently now? etc..

But, I still appreciate everyone's input and generosity so far.

Arithmatech
    My apologies to you sir, and the other members, I meant no disrespect to any of you. I should have read the entire post more clearly and replied according, or refrained if I had no helpful input.

What did you do in the beginning that you changed and do differently now?
    I used to just lock it in the Glove box of my truck when I was going into a no carry zone.

I'm not sure how much attention I want to draw to myself inadvertently flashing a handgun in a parking lot a couple times a day.
    As I was rolling up on my location I would disarm and do it while I was just coming up to my location, not in the parking lot, just in case as you said, I didn't want anyone to see it happen.
    Where do you put it?
    In the Console truck safe I linked to earlier in this thread.

I am considered a NC resident, and my CHP is from NC, although I travel and work out-of-state a majority of the time.

That being said, I still carry most of time when it is legal. I have a SuperTuck for my Kimber Ultra CDP II. Before disarming in the car, I park either away from others, or between of couple of unoccupied cars/trucks. I have learned to look around carefully before pulling out my piece. I have a Center of Mass safe under the front seat of all my cars. I lock my handgun inside when I go to a client site or school or a restaurant that serves alcohol. I take off the holster as well, and set it on top of the safe under the front seat.

When I drive long distances within states that recognize my permit, I usually keep my Sig P226 loaded and inside my Maxpedition Versipack with its universal holster to protect the trigger. It is on the floorboard of the passenger seat, and can be pulled quickly and effectively if needed. When I exit the vehicle, I sling the pack over my shoulder and carry the P226 with me into a restaurant or while paying for gas.

As I stated earlier, I don't carry as much as I thought I would. My workplace has a policy against it (to protect themselves from liability), so I simply choose to not risk my job. I weighed the likely outcomes, and choose to stay unarmed in the office and at client sites. I usually don't carry around the house, either. That's just my personal decision based on my assessment of my risk factors. YMMV.

MM

I meant no disrespect to any of you.
    No disrespect taken sir. Thank you the last couple of comments were exactly what I was wondering about.

The only other thing is, I don't know if I will be able to install a safe since I drive a company car, but I'm sure there is a work around.

No disrespect taken sir. Thank you the last couple of comments were exactly what I was wondering about.

The only other thing is, I don't know if I will be able to install a safe since I drive a company car, but I'm sure there is a work around.
    They have the ones that can be removed and replaced as you need it.

Here's a link to one I had before I had my new one installed. Hope that helps. Vehicle Gun Safes Shipped Free

Good luck, and Welcome to DC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links