Contemplating CWP, but have questions.

This is a discussion on Contemplating CWP, but have questions. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in NC. I realize the laws differ state to state, but from what I have seen so far pretty much every state has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating CWP, but have questions.

Contemplating CWP, but have questions.

I live in NC. I realize the laws differ state to state, but from what I have seen so far pretty much every state has a list of places you cannot CCW.

My job will take me to state and federal buildings, military bases, LE training centers, schools, universities, etc... I am not former LEO or military, but I have to travel long distances to these various entities on a daily basis, more than your average citizen.

Since I have not yet had the daily interaction of my "piece on my person", I am interested in how you go about your daily business taking into account these restricted areas. Do you disarm before entering premesis? Do you disarm before driving to premesis if you enter rarely? In my case, I assume this would mean, driving all day armed and disarming to go on premesis on a daily basis.

Do each of you have a disarming routine?

Arithmatech

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Arithmatech View Post
    I live in NC. I realize the laws differ state to state, but from what I have seen so far pretty much every state has a list of places you cannot CCW.

My job will take me to state and federal buildings, military bases, LE training centers, schools, universities, etc... I am not former LEO or military, but I have to travel long distances to these various entities on a daily basis, more than your average citizen.

Since I have not yet had the daily interaction of my "piece on my person", I am interested in how you go about your daily business taking into account these restricted areas. Do you disarm before entering premesis? Do you disarm before driving to premesis if you enter rarely? In my case, I assume this would mean, driving all day armed and disarming to go on premesis on a daily basis.

Do each of you have a disarming routine?

Arithmatech
    You really need to study your state laws.
    Federal and most military installations: FORGET IT. I don't carry on days I have to perform work in these areas except when I know there are off premises parking and I can get by with leaving my vehicle with the firearm locked up. Can't do that on most military installations though.

If you want try asking at the gate sometime what their rules and regs are but go unarmed or call.
    Certified Glock Armorer

I can't carry anywhere I ever go in NC. Most attacks happen in fringe areas like parking lots - like say when you are walking back to your car after a game or dinner (both places you cannot carry).

I've thought about using my micro gunvault to secure the piece in the car and carry when I can but what that will end up being is me taking the gun out only when I stop at the grocery store or something; I can't see myself getting in the habit of that.

For other people with different jobs and different lifestyles it may be useful but NC is a non-carry state as far as I am concerned.

What part of NC are you in? As to carry, you mentioned that you go on mil bases and educational buildings. Both of these would cause you problems unless you parked off premise and walked in after securing you gun either in the car or at an off site location such as a hotel etc. You may want to consider whether your better choice would be to invest in other protective measures such as hand to hand combat training, maybe pepper spray, or some other mode of self defense.

If you're close to the foothills, I'd be happy to go over the laws of NC with you if you had any questions, you spring for the coffee of course!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    What part of NC are you in? As to carry, you mentioned that you go on mil bases and educational buildings. Both of these would cause you problems unless you parked off premise and walked in after securing you gun either in the car or at an off site location such as a hotel etc. You may want to consider whether your better choice would be to invest in other protective measures such as hand to hand combat training, maybe pepper spray, or some other mode of self defense.

If you're close to the foothills, I'd be happy to go over the laws of NC with you if you had any questions, you spring for the coffee of course!
    First thing I thought about after I posted was military base check points at the gate, and school/federal parking lots. I figured that would be the case, as far as that goes. I am still interested even if a little planning each day is in order. It would still be good to have on other days.

Otherwise, still interested in disarming routines..

One thing I did not see on the Justice Dept firearms rules page, was business with a "no firearms" sign. Not sure about that one. Legal to CCW or not? If not, routine?

Beachside brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Arithmatech View Post
    First thing I thought about after I posted was military base check points at the gate, and school/federal parking lots. I figured that would be the case, as far as that goes. I am still interested even if a little planning each day is in order. It would still be good to have on other days.

Otherwise, still interested in disarming routines..

One thing I did not see on the Justice Dept firearms rules page, was business with a "no firearms" sign. Not sure about that one. Legal to CCW or not? If not, routine?

Beachside brother.
    If you plan to carry on days that you may have to go into posted areas, you may want to look into a hard mounted safe for the car. Several companies offer very sturdy lock boxes/safes for autos. Some are made to mount in consoles and some in the trunk. Console is best since you can dis arm and arm inside the vehicle.

There is a smaller lock box by a company called Center Of Mass I believe that is made to lock via cable around a seat bracket or other permanent fixture via a cable. It runs in the $60 to $70 range and comes in a few sizes.

As to the no firearms signs, the only stipulation NC places on signs is that they be conspicuously placed. They do carry the weight of law and are the same as being notified by the business you are trespassing if armed. They don't have to verbally ask you to leave for you to be charged with trespass if found out.

I am armed 24 7, 365 even in route. I have one of these Shop Console Vault - Console Vault - Chevrolet Silverado Floor Console 2003-2006 #1002-Chevrolet. When ever I need to disarm, they go in and get locked away until I rearm later. After awhile it just becomes a habit and no big deal.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Arithmatech,

First off, Welcome to the forums.

Alot of the questions you are asking is typically covered in your concealed carry class. Usually, state and federal laws are reviewed, where you can and cannot carry, tips, tactics and personal experiences are also discussed. You can also visit your states official website regarding concealed carry and they will have alot of useful information for you to review. Joining this forum will also help to answer "some" of your questions.

Glad to see you are interested in your right to carry and once again, Welcome.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

GunVaults MVB500 is not too bad. It can be bolted in your trunk or just secured with a cable (makes it more portable). I have one of these I mostly use inside; thinking I may move it under passenger seat with cable lock so I can get to it without opening the trunk.

The best safe by far in my opinion is the Titan Gun Vault . A little pricey but it opens very quickly, relies on no keys or batteries and the holster delivers the weapon to your hand the instant you open it. I have one of these in my BR. Its wonderful, just pricey. Its also portable and comes with two mounting plates though a bit of a PITA to move on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    As to the no firearms signs, the only stipulation NC places on signs is that they be conspicuously placed. They do carry the weight of law and are the same as being notified by the business you are trespassing if armed. They don't have to verbally ask you to leave for you to be charged with trespass if found out.
    Incorrect sir. Carrying in a posted place is the same as carrying in a federal building or other unlawful carry place, and penalties are the same as if you carried with no CCW at all. First offense is a serious misdemeanor and second is a felony.

I complained about this some in this thread .

You can't carry in nearly any restaurant in NC because so many at least nominally serve bottled beer. You can't carry at any event that charges admission (movie, concert, play, etc) , any public parade, anywhere near a school and all that usual stuff. Any government buildings or financial institutions.

If your job precludes carry, its the same as a posted sign EVEN IF they don't post it, as long as its in an employee handbook which you've already signed something saying you read agree to its policies.

Unless posted, you can carry at supermarkets, gas stations and walmart. Have fun with that.

Wow, NC SUCKS for CCW. Note to self...never move to NC.

I live in Illinois. The most analy retentive state in the union. We got laws you don't have time to listen to. I'm off road and on private property several times a day and load and unload kinda sorta as follows. In the morning I leave the house (unload and case firearm) go to idle mine property (uncase and reload) leave mine property (see leave house) go to gun club (see idle mine property) go back home (uncase and reload) start the second round (begin with leave home and end with go back home). I put as much wear on a handgun loading and unloading daily as I do shooting. Fortunately all that loading/clearing practice makes the routine (including making sure the weapon is clear) natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post

snip....

Incorrect sir. Carrying in a posted place is the same as carrying in a federal building or other unlawful carry place, and penalties are the same as if you carried with no CCW at all. First offense is a serious misdemeanor and second is a felony.

I complained about this some in this thread .

snip....

I know there is a question as to if it includes open carry but the question was concerning concealed carry. As long as the NC Justice Academy teaches that a no gun sign carries the weight of notice for concealed carry and you can be charged with trespass based on a sign then that is what I teach. If you read the section referencing signs in the "Laws Governing Concealed Carry and the Use of Deadly Force" (yellow book which is used to train instructors for the CHP classes) that is the source for my response.

The main point is that when in doubt, don't carry if you are concerned about following the laws we have to live with for now.

Not saying I agree with the laws, but I do try to follow them and do my best to get them changed when I do disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Karter View Post
    Depends on your state. In GA the signs placed by individual company's and businesses means nothing. If made while on the property and you refuse to leaver you can be charged with trespassing, a misdemeanor.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Carry in NC is a pain, but at least they are a "shall issue" state unlike NY, IL, WI, and many others.

I find I carry much less than I had planned (and certainly prefer) because of all the silly laws. Since the missus and I don't eat fast food or consider a trip to Cracker Barrell as a night out, I am stuck without my ccw at most restaurants. Any event with paid admission is a no-no, and even my town tries to deny me the right.

Basically, I can waltz around town (as long as I don't carry at the posted local park where several women have been assaulted). I can carry to supermarkets, gas stations, and drug stores, but that's about it.

I have it on me while driving most places, however.

For those who post that they carry 24/7/365, then start listing all the places they must disarm......well......I guess it's a matter of what you call "carry".

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Depends on your state. In GA the signs placed by individual company's and businesses means nothing. If made while on the property and you refuse to leaver you can be charged with trespassing, a misdemeanor.
    In cased you missed it, Karter and NC Bullseye are BOTH in NC and, obviously, are discussing NC carry laws and NOT the legal ramifications of carrying and signs posted in other states.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links