Lousiana and Florida Reciprocity Rumors

This is a discussion on Lousiana and Florida Reciprocity Rumors within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now Fl non res permits are honored in La even if you are a full time permanent resident of La. So people get those ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lousiana and Florida Reciprocity Rumors

Right now Fl non res permits are honored in La even if you are a full time permanent resident of La. So people get those rather than La permit. That's why they are going to no longer honor them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Seems to me the better way to "fix" this would be to only allow LA residents to carry with a LA resident permit. The route they are taking would be require them to rule out every single state that issues non-resident permits.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Seems to me the better way to "fix" this would be to only allow LA residents to carry with a LA resident permit. The route they are taking would be require them to rule out every single state that issues non-resident permits.
    Exactly...like pretty much every other state. LA seems to be the exception. But, that's their own stupidity for letting permanent LA residents carry on a non-resident Florida permit in the first place.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    LA will not stop honoring FL Permits. They may stop honoring a FL Non Resident permit that is issued to a resident of Louisiana. It will take the Legislature to stop the practice of LA Residnets getting a FL permit to carry in LA with. The AG might be able to make a ruling that says LA Residents must have a LA permit to carry in LA. But LA will not stop honoring a FL resident or non resident permit that is issued to someone who is not a resident of LA.

LA will honor anyone who honors their permit. They honor PA and in PA to get a permit you have to be 21, Alive and have no criminal Record. That is it. It costs about $27. Alabama has very low standards much like PA (Which is the way it should be) and LA honors their permit. So any rumors are most likely about Residents of LA carrying on a FL non resident permit.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by TH48 View Post
    Question: What is the purpose of a non resident permit. I'm thinking to allow someone to carry in a state that doesn't have reciprocity but I don't want to assume. AGAIN
    Florida, for example, gets a lot of people coming down for several months each year but with permanent residence elsewhere. The nonres permit is just what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by ming View Post
    Florida, for example, gets a lot of people coming down for several months each year but with permanent residence elsewhere. The nonres permit is just what they need.
    Not if Florida recognizes their resident state permit... If they come down from PA, OH or NH, to name a few northern states, with a valid state resident permit, Florida will honor those.

Just like when I move back home to AZ and visit family in FL. When AZ becomes my state of residence, my AZ permit will be good in FL again. It's not good in FL now because I live in CT, which is pretty much . Only here for the sweet job...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    LA will not stop honoring FL Permits. They may stop honoring a FL Non Resident permit that is issued to a resident of Louisiana. It will take the Legislature to stop the practice of LA Residnets getting a FL permit to carry in LA with. The AG might be able to make a ruling that says LA Residents must have a LA permit to carry in LA. But LA will not stop honoring a FL resident or non resident permit that is issued to someone who is not a resident of LA.
    That's how I see it too; If LA wishes to make their residents use only a LA permit fine, but don't rule out nonresident Florida permits for people residing in other states.

For instance, I am a resident of Texas and have a Texas permit, but I also have a Florida nonresident. Since it is good for 7 years, it will prevent any periods with out a permit while getting renewals for Texas; not to mention, it adds a couple of more states to my coverage.

I really don't understand why folks get all upset with the lack of or amount of training requirements for a permit anyway. Alaska and a few other states are the only ones that have gotten it right so far; if you qualify to buy a gun, you are qualified to carry it with out the state charging you to enjoy your 2nd amendment rights.
    John Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Alaska and a few other states are the only ones that have gotten it right so far; if you qualify to buy a gun, you are qualified to carry it with out the state charging you to enjoy your 2nd amendment rights.
    The only other state besides Alaska is Vermont for not legally needing a permit to carry concealed. I wish it were a LOT more states, but I don't think we'll be seeing that any time soon...

Now, if you're talking open carry, then there are several other states that allow it without a permit. Arizona and even California come to mind. Gun can't be loaded in CA, though, but you CAN have ammo on your person...even loaded magazines.

This reciprocity stuff is crazy. One drops or accepts another for one reason or another. Geeeez.

I can travel all the way to Florida from my home state and carry with my permit, except in Georgia. Go figure. However, I recently acquired a Non-Res NH permit that Georgia WILL recognize. Again, go figure. Now, Nevada will recognize our permit even without recognition from us. (Go figure thingy again.) West Virginia now will honor the non-resident permits of states we honor. So, if you have a FL or UT or other state we recognize non-res permit we now honor it. Didn't used to, but the AG of our state helped remove that language from our laws and make it so. Yet, WV and NH have no reciprocity so my NH non res isn't honored by WV.

Crazy. Just crazy.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; September 3rd, 2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    The only other state besides Alaska is Vermont for not legally needing a permit to carry concealed. I wish it were a LOT more states, but I don't think we'll be seeing that any time soon...

Now, if you're talking open carry, then there are several other states that allow it without a permit. Arizona and even California come to mind. Gun can't be loaded in CA, though, but you CAN have ammo on your person...even loaded magazines.
    I think we are going to see a change in this soon. Many states are trying to adopt the new Protection laws to protect us from some limitations the ATF tries to impose upon us.

as for California, yeah, loaded is okay, however the magazine must be CA legal, mine is not (15 rounds). If I travel there, I either have to pack 10 round mags, or stop in AZ and drop my gun off with my cousin.
    Jess
    I'm an artist, and if you give me a tuba I'll bring something out of it.
    - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    as for California, yeah, loaded is okay, however the magazine must be CA legal, mine is not (15 rounds). If I travel there, I either have to pack 10 round mags, or stop in AZ and drop my gun off with my cousin.
    Jess
    Then buy some 10 round magazines. They're cheap because they're not really desirable anymore since the sunset of the AWB. I have at least one for every "high capacity" semi-auto handgun I own. A lot of that is because many were purchased during the AWB and only came with 10 rounders. I used to live in AZ and got over to CA quite a bit, so I made sure all the others I might "carry" with me had 10 round mags, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Knapper View Post
    I think we are going to see a change in this soon. Many states are trying to adopt the new Protection laws to protect us from some limitations the ATF tries to impose upon us.
    As for this, it really isn't a federal/ATF issue. It's the states not wanting "free range" concealed carry. But, if a state just up and decided to pass a law saying concealed carry without a permit was legal, then why couldn't they do it? What makes Alaska and Vermont so special? It mainly depends on the legislature and/or if the people will vote for such a thing. THAT's why we'll probably not see any more states like AK and VT any time soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links