Carry at Client's Office?

This is a discussion on Carry at Client's Office? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I finally get to start my full-time job in a couple weeks, but this also brings about a question. Since I will be an ...

Thread: Carry at Client's Office?

Carry at Client's Office?

So I finally get to start my full-time job in a couple weeks, but this also brings about a question. Since I will be an auditor, a significant amount of time will be spent at our client's office. Assuming I am clear from MY employer's handbook on carrying, do I need to be considered about each individual client office I go to as well?

Another problem I just thought about is that currently I'm licensed through Tuscaloosa county which prohibits carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol, regardless of what county I'm in within the state. So until we get a house in Birmingham and I get licensed there (without the restriction), I'll have to be aware of going to lunch with co-workers at a place that serves!!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

2. Remove Ads

Only in so far as you want to keep such clients as might get bummed if they find out, or if your employer finds out the client claimed the loss was due to your having carried.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Only in so far as you want to keep such clients as might get bummed if they find out, or if your employer finds out the client claimed the loss was due to your having carried.
    This is another problem I've thought of.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I dont know the specific laws of Alabama but in Utah, I carry in my clients offices. I am very careful to be completely concealed and not give them any reason to question. Signs arent a problem in Utah, they mean nothing. Ccw9mm brings up a good point tho. If your client busts your secret, it may have a huge impact on your future with your company especially if it effects business. My .02, see my sig below.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

At the end of the day only you can make these decisions.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I retired from one of the international accounting firms. I think you would be wise to not carry at the client site. Get something like a COM car safe. Over time, as you move up in the ranks, you will develop a relationship with your clients and you might even be able to discuss the subject with them.

Being the reason for losing a client is a definite career limiting move.

Good luck in your new career.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I retired from one of the international accounting firms. I think you would be wise to not carry at the client site. Get something like a COM car safe. Over time, as you move up in the ranks, you will develop a relationship with your clients and you might even be able to discuss the subject with them.

Being the reason for losing a client is a definite career limiting move.

Good luck in your new career.
    The more I think about it the more I'm planning on just carrying when I'm in our main office and since I already have a COM safe I'll lock it up there while at a client's office. At least until I have reason to believe the client would be okay with it.

Just thought I'd bring up the subject to see what other people in my situation do everyday. Thanks for the well wishes, been looking forward to finally starting my career for some time!!!
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    So I finally get to start my full-time job in a couple weeks, but this also brings about a question. Since I will be an auditor, a significant amount of time will be spent at our client's office. Assuming I am clear from MY employer's handbook on carrying, do I need to be considered about each individual client office I go to as well?

Another problem I just thought about is that currently I'm licensed through Tuscaloosa county which prohibits carrying in restaurants that serve alcohol, regardless of what county I'm in within the state. So until we get a house in Birmingham and I get licensed there (without the restriction), I'll have to be aware of going to lunch with co-workers at a place that serves!!
    depends on how your employee hand book is worded. A lot of companies word it so that they prohibit firearms on thier property (in buildings/vehicles) and while carrying out company buiness. So if you are calling on a client in thier office, it may still be banned by your company because you are representing your company ie. carry our company buisness. Just be sure to read your employee hand book carefully and ask HR if you need clarification.

It sounds like you would be in the clear as far as your employer goes but consider the fact that if you get discovered at a client site and they are anti they will most definately complain to your employer. At this point you will most likely be looking for employment to replace the job you just got canned from.

I have a good friend who is an owner of a quickly growing regional CPA firm and they have the "no gun" rule in their company handbook precisely because they don't want to cause issues with any clients. Unfortunately for many the 2A is like having the politics and religion debate. Generally not something you do in business because one party will frequently be offended.

At the end of the day only you can decide the risk/reward of your actions.

Good luck with the new gig.

Exclamation Tread Carefully

Steve:

It will be a personal call, but I would be very discrete and very cautious as you address the matter. The COM Safe is a great idea, and as you move up the food chain you'll develop a rapport with clients that will help you make a more informed decision at that time.

As a former partner in a Big Four firm, I would have flat out told you "No". As a self-employed consultant now, I would counsel care. One of my bank clients encourages me to carry (as the owners do and as their armed guards do), while another bank prohibits concealed carry.

Congratulations on the new career, and good luck!

Have you taken the CPA Quiz yet?

Unless there's a law or company policy against it, ALWAYS carry NEVER tell when it comes to work.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Steve:

It will be a personal call, but I would be very discrete and very cautious as you address the matter. The COM Safe is a great idea, and as you move up the food chain you'll develop a rapport with clients that will help you make a more informed decision at that time.

As a former partner in a Big Four firm, I would have flat out told you "No". As a self-employed consultant now, I would counsel care. One of my bank clients encourages me to carry (as the owners do and as their armed guards do), while another bank prohibits concealed carry.

Congratulations on the new career, and good luck!

Have you taken the CPA Quiz yet?

I definently think I'm going to hold off on carrying at work, but I'll have it to and from and stored in my safe during the day. I'll just see how things go.

Thanks! And yeah, I finally got done with the "quiz". 7 months of living in the library and I'm finally done with the whole thing!!!
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

I carry all the time so I am carrying when I go to client's offices and homes. It would not be wise, or appropriate, to disclose I have a concealed firearm every time I meet with a client (5-10 times a day).
    Always carry, never tell...
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

I would carry everywhere it is legal to carry. That is unless your employement expresses forbids it and you know it.

Shhhhh......... Don`t tell. Get the OK from your employer.
    Keep your powder dry

Links