Too many acronyms on here

This is a discussion on Too many acronyms on here within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys and gals i've but one concern err complaint. We need standardized language here. I see CCW, GFL, CHL, CPL, CLL , CCC, ABC, and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Guys and gals i've but one concern err complaint.

We need standardized language here.

I see CCW, GFL, CHL, CPL, CLL , CCC, ABC, and 123, CPA, might as well also say XXX, when people are referring to a carry license.

EBC, BBC, NBC, and CNN are commonly referred to what as I understand as some ones preference of carry..
    okay so im going a little overboard but sheesh.

Why dont we just have a forum standard.

I honestly do not know what a CPL or CHL is much less a ΣεΙ is... sigh

Reminds me of when I first went in the Navy using crap like...
    Comcardesgru1
    Desron7
    centcomcardesampgrutaccom12
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Agreed. I'm an LDS RM and we have enough to LOL about w/o adding more. Half the time I just skip over those parts of a thread.

I have my CFP from UT and like to CC IWB. Of course, if I go to NV then I'll have to OC since they no longer recognize my UT CFP.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

LOL...IDK wt 2 say! Ill be OTW 2 work soon!

Cheers!
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There appears to be at least one missing. I have a CHP.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. – Richard Henry Lee 1788

Cool

Why not just speak English. I'm sure lots of people come to the forum and are so confused by the terms used, they never come back. The forum is poorer for not having new blood.

Administrator
    Part of the problem is that different states DO have different names for their respective licenses/permits.
    In Pennsylvania it is called a PA LTCC - License To Carry Concealed.

Added Note:
    All new members may not know exactly what every abbreviation is but, if somebody posts:

"I'm Legal To Carry Now & It Only Took Me 30 Days To Get My CHP."

Folks can pretty much make a logical determination that a CHP would be a Concealed Handgun Permit and not a Cheese & Ham on Pumpernickel.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Thanks for the list. I was wondering what some of the acronyms meant.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Part of the problem is that different states DO have different names for their respective licenses/permits.
    In Pennsylvania it is called a PA LTCC - License To Carry Concealed.

Actually it's PA LTCF: License To Carry Firearms. No requirement to be concealed (but I do for the sheeple).
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Guys and gals i've but one concern err complaint.

We need standardized language here.
    The only problem is that the states that issue firearms permits have no standardization. I think the most common, generic one you will see here is "CCW", although there is no such thing as a CCW in my state (LTCF).
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Folks can pretty much make a logical determination that a CHP would be a Concealed Handgun Permit and not a Cheese & Ham on Pumpernickel.
    I thought it was California Highway Patrol

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member

Smile Who knows what they mean?

LOL

Back in early the Carter admin there was a complaint by some new political appointees to my agency about jargon and acronyms.

So, someone set up a workshop. I, being the most junior person available with just enough authority to meet the criteria, was sent.

Before the first day was over, the facilitator was heading up the lists of acronyms (to be kept/ to be combined/ to be avoided/ etc) on the board with acronyms for those classifications. These acronyms had emerged/been created on the fly as the group worked the assigned issues.

When I pointed out the new acronyms, which the group against acronyms had just created, the first response was, "But we all know what they mean."

I said "Hum, so that's it."

BTW -- That work-group was only second to the one to deal with "too many reports" that ended up requiring another annual report on "Reports to be Considered for Discontinuation."
    Last edited by DaveH; September 4th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    States' Rights dictate that each state has its own name for permits, no matter how illogical. For example, my Arapahoe County titles the Colorado permit "Concealed Weapon Permit" even though only handguns are authorized by Colorado statute, not weapons in general as in Florida. Other counties here actually have different names for the permit. I use the generic term "CC permit" rather than CWP in an attempt to avoid mass confusion.

There are too many acronyms in the world in general, not just here. Besides our own acronym list, here's a site I have found very informative: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

A test: which is indicative of a more extreme condition, fubar or sapfu?
    Last edited by Anubis; September 4th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If you are prior Navy, all the acronyms should feel like the old days! :) I kept the acronym page handy when I first started on the forum; after awhile you'll know them by heart.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

IIRC, the reason I decided to get my CWFL in FL was in order to ensure legal EDC wherever I went. Now, I don't want to be a PITA, but IMHO, we ought to be able to type anyway we want.

BTW, tango, you probably don't know the secret handshake yet, either.

Of course, part of the problem is the states. FL has a CWFL (Concealed Weapons and Firearms License) while others have Concealed Handgun Permits, or Concealed Carry Licenses, and so forth.

So, my suggestion is that we let the current administration merge the laws and the nomenclature, especially since they want to keep us safe and all. (sarcasm off)
    Last edited by miklcolt45; September 4th, 2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add information
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links