CCW Vs medical mary jane - Page 2

CCW Vs medical mary jane

This is a discussion on CCW Vs medical mary jane within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than drinking alcohol and carrying or taking narcotic pain killers and carrying. While ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CCW Vs medical mary jane

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than drinking alcohol and carrying or taking narcotic pain killers and carrying.

While you are under the influence, you shouldn't be carrying...
    Yes, though those can be taken without putting someone so far over the edge that they're "influenced" by the substance, as with a few sips of wine with a meal, or pain meds dialed to simply take the edge off. Though each person needs to know the effects, being impacted only happens above a certain "dose" for most folks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Queensidecas View Post
    "intoxication" is intoxication. I know from the experience during my youth that a couple of bong hits or sharing a joint with someone puts you in an altered state. You are not stumbling around but you are most definately intoxicated. In fact I dont realy believe it is possible to smoke weed and not become intoxicated. You can drink a beer and maybe even two depending on weight and not experience intoxication, but the effects of smoking marajuana is immediate and noticable.

Queensidecas

While I would agree that in either case you sighted you may not be "intoxicated" (legally) I would disagree with the idea that you put forth above. I think that one would be just as altered after a drink of beer/wine/grain based alcohol as they would be after a hit of pot. Mental functions slow on either; judgement is impared and reaction time is altered from either intoxicate. Again intoxication has not reached its max but it has/is occurring. One might reach the legal level of intoxicated with pot more quickly but one is impared from the start with both.

Marijuana's active 'ingredient' Tetrahydrocannibanol (THC) will stay in your blood for 30-45 days or longer depending on your metabolism. Hair tests can show use for 6 months.

From a CIVIL lawsuit standpoint, the MJ user would be hard pressed to explain their use to a court deciding whether to award the 'victim' of the shooting millions because the shooter was impaired.

Was he using MJ? Yes, but only at night. Then...you used, so you were impaired when you shot.

Impairment? I could bring in 5 different 'experts' for hire that would state he was in an altered state of consciousness when he fired.

IMO, he positions himself in a VERY tenuous position with carrying and using MJ at anytime, 'medical' or not.

I believe that if one takes something that impairs their judgment it would prevent legal carrying.
    In general I am with Bark'N on this one.

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thing is they can actually measure the effects of alcohol with tests, and with weed they can't.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but really they're just measuring the quantity of alcohol in your blood, not the alcohol's effects.

Some folk are drunk at 0.08 ("drunk" in MI), others could out-drive and out react 75% of the population at 0.08. Somewhat arbitrary if you asked me.

Interesting subject, for sure.

I THINK here it asks you if you are "addicted to or an illegal user of" a controlled substance, or something like that.

Sorta like codiene. You can't legally drive under the influence of it, but if you have a prescription then the evidence isn't admissible in court. I'd imagine it's similar for a CCW permit, but I really don't know.

Maybe something I'll have to look into on the state level.

Not that it matters to me, because I'm certainly not going to get a prescription for the stuff, but curiosity sometimes gets me looking into things like that. Information seldom hurts.

Daryl

I agree with Cycler. The BAC measurement for "drunkeness" is arbitrary. In my younger days I was a heavy drinker and had a pretty high tolerance for alcohol. I could drink 7 or 8 beers before I showed any slowing of reflexes, etc. 20 years later all it takes is 1 or 2. As for the weed, depending on the THC concentration the "high" will last anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours with no residual effects the next day. If the OP's friend only smokes the amount his doc prescribes at night, he should be good to go for carry upon waking. How the state would rule on this situation tho I have no clue. I do know that in GA that just a misdemeanor charge for simple possession no matter how old will disqualify you from ever holding a GFL. Plenty of folks here got smacked on the hand for holding a joint as a teenager and decades later are productive citizens with no other offenses and still can't hold a GFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, it's no different than drinking alcohol and carrying or taking narcotic pain killers and carrying.

While you are under the influence, you shouldn't be carrying...
    Well put. however he will not be under the influence 24/7 I think he should be able to carry any time he is not under the influence of his medication just like any other person with legal prescription drugs.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirerogue View Post
    Marijuana's active 'ingredient' Tetrahydrocannibanol (THC) will stay in your blood for 30-45 days or longer depending on your metabolism.
    Sorry, but that is not really quite correct. It partitions into the fat and may be sequestered in fat. Plasma elimination half times have been reported at a few hours to several days. With regard to impairment:

"In laboratory investigations, it has been reported that THC may affect complex performance skills up to 24 hours after drug ingestion. One study reports a “hangover” effect on the morning following a dose of marijuana (hours after smoking a marijuana cigarette of 3 percent THC) (Chait et al.1985). The mean performance of pilots in a flight simulator showed a trend toward impairment at 24 hours after smoking a cigarette of 2 percent THC(Yesavage et al. 1985). These results have implications for THC effects on the performance of complex tasks the day after smoking when blood concentrations are very low."

FromUrine testing for
    Drugs of Abuse
    Editors:
    Richard L. Hawks, Ph.D.
    C. Nora Chiang, Ph.D.
    Division of Preclinical Research
    National Institute on Drug Abuse
    NIDA Research Monograph 73

I have no problem with anyone injesting any medicine (including Marahuchie) prescribed by a doctor. You take what you have to take, and as we age the list becomes a little longer.
    It's up to each individual to decide when it's OK to be armed and responsible. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

re: Retsupt

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have no problem with anyone injesting any medicine (including Marahuchie) prescribed by a doctor. You take what you have to take, and as we age the list becomes a little longer.
    It's up to each individual to decide when it's OK to be armed and responsible. OMO
    While I agree with you in general, it is unfortunately true that the intoxicated individual is in NO position to decide that it is not O.K. to be armed, because by definition judgment is impaired due to the intoxication.

I think the friend mentioned in the o.p. needs to deal with his medical problem as best he can, but should consider carefully without respect to the letter of the law either way, the potential mess he would bring upon himself were he involved in an SD shooting or even an ordinary auto accident.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    wait, does MM have a container, or do you just grow a plant and smoke it? Because, I was thinking...if it comes in an Rx bottle, wouldn't it have one of those "may make you drowsy, do not attempt to operate heavy machinery" warning labels on it? I'd say that's a ringing endorsement not to smoke and carry.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

... it is unfortunately true that the intoxicated individual is in NO position to decide that it is not O.K. to be armed, because by definition judgment is impaired due to the intoxication.
    "intoxication" is intoxication.
    Partaking <> intoxication. There is a difference.

Our cultural fear of "alcohol" and "narcotics" has impaired our ability to distinguish between partaking of a substance and being impaired by it.

It should be obvious, though I know it isn't, to many. But, a bite of food doesn't make one full; a sip of wine doesn't make one drunk; a well-dosed pain med of the narcotic/opiate variety need not make one "drugged" to the point of impairment.

For those needing factual actuals in order to accept this reality, any competent doctor can provide.

In short: all depends on the dose.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I know how much physical stress the body goes through when put in a life or death situation and I don't want to have any substances in my system that may alter the way my body reacts to these situations.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Just curious, is this doctor's 'prescription' filled at a licensed pharmacy? Does he get it at Walgreens?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links