Aftermarket Barrels & Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Barrels & Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This paranoia has gotten to the point of total absurdness....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Barrels & Concealed Carry

This paranoia has gotten to the point of total absurdness.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Let me ask another question.

Where YOU live , what percentage of the adult population carries a gun daily?

(We'll assume only civilians with permits and that they DO always carry )

I'll BET you it's LESS than 1%.

Just by legally arming yourself you become one of the RARE individuals
    who has not only PREMEDITATED using Lethal Force against another human being but actually carries a TOOL to do it efficiently.

Any DA will make sure the jury understands this fact no matter what the
    individual characteristics of your weapon are.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I think you have your answer. No one knows of any shooting where an after market barrel was an issue and to think it might be is pretty absurd. Moreover, if you truly have to shoot someone to defend your life or that of someone else, what barrel you have will be far, far down your list of worries. Just hope that whatever barrel you have allows the bullet to go straight and true.

I really appreciate the responses ... well ... most of them. Allot of the local LE personnel frequent the range where I shoot and of course various discussions/debates breakout from time to time. The general consensus at the range is "If it ain't stock don't carry it".

I have never owned an out of the box Glock that worked for me ... so I thought I would ask the question.
    NRA Patron Member
    CCWs Glock 29, 27, Bersa 380

I can't believe that that so many people who responded to this thread seem to think that the kind of barrel you use will be "the least of your worries" or don't care what the jury/the prosecutor think after a self-defense shooting. I can't believe that one poster even dismisses the experience and advice of Massad Ayoob, who has probably testified in more self-defense shooting cases than anyone alive. Your problems only start when the goblin hits the dirt.

A barrel may seem like a small thing to us, but as AKsrule pointed out, a small, small fraction of the population goes to the trouble of carrying a concealed handgun to protect themselves with. What about that huge majority of the neutral or gun-fearing population? You can bet that they will be the ones hearing your case and deciding your fate. Someone that customizes their gun with a more accurate barrel could seem like a monster who wants to have the most deadly weapon possible in their holster so they can blow away the first down-on-his-luck victim of society that crosses his path to someone like that. It doesn't take much of an attorney to add that to his argument.

The reason you hear advice to use a stock gun and factory ammo for your carry piece is that juries will be sympathetic to someone who is just doing the best they can to stop an attack against themselves or their family and no more. They will be less sympathetic to someone who is trying to wring the last little bit of murderous lethality from their weapons.

The opposing counsel may be incompetent, or sympathetic to your cause, and won't mount much of a case against you, but don't bet on it. They could just as easily be a crusading anti-gun ambulance chaser who will exaggerate everything about you and do their best to make you look like a vicious killer. The less you give them to use against you, the easier it will be for your lawyer to win the trial. There's no need to make it more difficult and expensive than need be.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    It's a calculated choice. I do believe it is wise to use only stock materials... if you can. Sometimes you know you need some good upgrades to make your weapon reliable. If that's the case, then document everything. Be prepared to articulate, clearly, why you chose to upgrade a particular component. If you know that the bbl in your gun is insufficient for precise shots, show independent data that backs that up, save your gunsmith records and be prepared to defend your decision.

I do aftermarket mods to my guns as well and have thought this through myself. No matter what happens, we have to be prepared to give a good answer.

It's not like an aftermarket bbl is the same as Punisher grips on a 1911. The big elephant in the room is going to be that you shot someone. After that, it all depends on your county. In Tarrant County, Texas (where I live) there are a TON of gun owners who are familiar with many of the 2A debates. They are sympathetic to us. In New York State, totally different story in many instances, I would imagine.

I think if you have a good reason for the change (remember, you are expected to be accurate and reliable if you are packin'), then that could make your life easier if worse comes to worse & you must use deadly force.

In order to minimize my liability in court, I have stoped carrying a handgun altogather and now just carry bullets that I plan on inserting manually into the bad guy.

This is a win, win for me because not only do I not worry about aftermarket gun accessories making me look blood thirsty, but i have more room for my CCW badge AND the entire "which hollowpiont bullet" debate goes away. I can carry FMJ with total confidence.

Regarding courts of law, I feel that it is best to CC with a gun that has not been modified, i.e. trigger jobs and etc. I have heard that some D.A.'s will pursue a case more aggressively if a gun used in a SD shooting has been modified.

Therefore, I use higher quality stock-manufactured guns; hence my Kimber UC. I just don't want to take the chance of being labeled a murderer when I am only defending myself.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    Regarding courts of law, I feel that it is best to CC with a gun that has not been modified, i.e. trigger jobs and etc. I have heard that some D.A.'s will pursue a case more aggressively if a gun used in a SD shooting has been modified.
    I've heard things like that over the years too.

A simple reply to the upgrades for me would be. Because I'm responsible for every round I fire, and I will most definitely be held accountable for damages, or injuries. I wanted to make sure I had the most accurate and reliable parts for my CC pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    +1 Varob & Dogrunner

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Keep in mind that aftermarket barrels generally have tighter chambers and are more prone to ammo issues causing jams. I find Barsto barrels are pickery than Fire Dragon barrels. Barsto barrels generally need to be fitted as well.

AMEN

Amen
    Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    I truly don't mean to sound cynical, but for the love of God, what's the next thing we're gonna worry about............if or not we have had the finish changed, haven't had the thing looked at by a gunsmith, changed the grips............or LO......had aftermarket sights installed!

Truth be told, if it's a good shoot, it's a good shoot........MAS and the rest be damned, I admit to being a disgusted contrarian, I carry what I want, when I want.........inclusive of hand-loads, slicked up actions, and 'holler points' that I cooked up myself!.........If I am gonna' be damned to hell for defending myself in a lawful shoot, then so be it................but, if I have to, I INTEND to win an armed confrontation and if that necessitates me having to install a simple mod such as a new bbl, then I, for one, WILL do it.

This fear of litigation, prosecution and all the imaginary ill's that attend the simple act of self defense are truly self defeating...........those sort of considerations make me believe that anyone so concerned will hesitate when he or she ought to act. and that IS a bad thing......... in truth, any activist case history's negatively impacting the use of defensive armament are so minor that it's my conviction that most of it's dreamed up by gun writers hurting for sufficient copy to make their deadlines.........

Set aside the ministrations of those so called experts, do a bit of research yourself, and draw your own conclusions..........if there's no lawful, statutory prohibition then my inclination is to do what in my best reasoned judgement is appropriate.

By the way, the ONLY case I know of where an other than factory load was used to down a suspect was one of mine, used by a fellow LEO who shot a fleeing armed robber in the foot...............lemme' state that a Keith 168 grain hard cast bullet driven by 14 grains of 2400 thru the right foot WILL with out doubt cause a fleeing felon to fall right down, right there!...............No questions asked or commented on relative to the shoot, nor the ammo.....and the prosecutors and defense both knew what'd been used!

Your call, but I personally wouldn't give the matter a second thought.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Administrator
    All of my 1911s have Ed Brown barrels.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If I were ever hauled into court and the issue came up..."well Mr. Ambulance Chaser, my factory barrel wore out so I replaced it..or..My factory barrel was defective so I replaced it..or..my factory barrel has a bulge in it from bad ammo..."get the idea? Just don't buy a barrel that's threaded on the end.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I would not worry about an aftermarket barrel one bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links