Aftermarket Barrels & Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Barrels & Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hmmm.... Interesting to think that a lawyer might care more about the gun barrel that I am using rather than the several .45 slugs that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aftermarket Barrels & Concealed Carry

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm....

Interesting to think that a lawyer might care more about the gun barrel that I am using rather than the several .45 slugs that I put in the perp.

As for the DA...well...he teaches the "Law" part of our CHL classes. They are not all the same. We gave him and his wife a CHL.

I think people should worry more about the training and tactics that they might employ in a SD situation than what ammo, barrel,sights,grips or color of the gun that they are shooting.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by adroitus View Post

It doesn't take much of an attorney to add that to his argument.
    Unfortunately it is true; an attorney can make anyone look like a monster just because he/she “customized” the gun. I customize my range guns, but my CC is stock; the only change I will make on my CC is to install night sights. I do not think it is worth to take any changes concerning this matter. I believe that the best is to get a high quality gun from the very beginning. Also the same happens with the used ammo; good luck explaining to the jury why you used tracer ammo or explosive (incendiary) ammo.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

JRI
    In four pages this may have already been covered but after reading the OP I just had to add my 2 cents.

There are only 3 things I worry about:
    If the gun used is a LEGAL.
    If the ammo used is LEGAL.
    If the shooting is LEAGALLY JUSTIFIED.

Don't worry about the urban legends. Give limited basic information at the scene and after that keep your mouth shut until you have a lawyer present.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMax View Post
    It is generally advised NOT to carry a concealed firearm with an aftermarket barrel ... it is simply one more thing that can be used against you in a court of law ... or so I am told. I have three firearms that I carry in varying situations ... two of the I shoot with aftermarket barrels and then change the barrels out before I leave the range. To be honest, I would like to carry what I practice with.

My question is this ... does anyone here know of anyone who was involved in a shooting where an aftermarket barrel became an issue? And if so ... how did it turn out.

Thanks!
    Does anyone think that just maybe how you managed the pre-contact and post fight stages of the encounter, and your acting correctly within the guidelines of your state's use of force laws is slightly more important of an issue to worry about than your using an aftermarket barrel vice a factory one?

Maybe?

This is such a non-issue.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Does anyone think that just maybe how you managed the pre-contact and post fight stages of the encounter, and your acting correctly within the guidelines of your state's use of force laws is slightly more important of an issue to worry about than your using an aftermarket barrel vice a factory one?

Maybe?

This is such a non-issue.
    Yep.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

WAIT!!

I changed my mind.

The gear is more important than how you manage the encounter's development, it's aftermath or if you act in accordance with the law.

The old saying "de minimis non curat lex" applies in highly technical securities & exchange matters, tax courts, complex bankruptcy litigation...

But if your ammo is 1/2 a grain of lead out of spec, you used grease instead of "approved gun oil" or your gun wasn't cleaned before you shot someone, it doesn't matter if you acted appropriately!!

The court and the prosecutor will try to screw you no matter if you were right or wrong just because you used a dreaded hollow point!!

Oh, and if you use FMJ, you are equally screwed becIause you are using MILITARY ammo...

If you reload your ammo you are a phyco making man killer ammo...

If you buy factory ammo, you are buying stuff that should only be sold to the PO-lice!!

AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Yeah. That aught to do it for creating additional confusion on a very simple issue.

The more you over think this issue, the more likely you are to come to a very wrong conclusion.

Has it ever occured to anyone that the people giving overly complex theories about what is and is not legal do not themselves understand this stuff, and are simply trying to make themselves look like they have a clue?

Law school's criminal law class didn't mention jack didly about hand-loads, aftermarket barrels, lasers on guns or so forth.

Criminal Law class...and Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol class...just taught people about useless stuff like subjective and objective reasonability in your use of force, the value of deesclation, avoidance, keeping your mouth shut and other inane garbage like that.

Maybe because those are the meat & potatos of the issue, and the controversy over a lone wolf barrel in a glock vs. a factory barrel is not worth the ink in the text book or the class handout.

Think back to how many times people who have a clue in any issue, car maintinence, fitness, martial arts or basket weaving have said this:

Keep it simple.

Some people try to most complex workouts you can imagine...and they get no results.

Other people sweat under a pile of iron, and end up massively powerful people who can break you in half with a punch.

Some people want to have a complex diet...then find it doesn't work.

Other people watch what they eat...and we call them skinny people.

Is this stuff REALLY all that complex...or can people not accept that beyond the core issues (BS like actually learning what your ROE's are, how to deesclate a situation, how to deal with the aftermath...and how to simply and effectively defend yourself...) it's all a waste of time to deal with 99% of the time?

EH.

Hell with it.

Argue on about what the lawyers will do and say.

This one's going to hit the benchpress. If the weights fall on me and kill me, whoever gets my fanny pack can have the glock.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If they are trying to make you out to be a man killer cause of an aftermarket part on your firearm, they don't really have a case.

If you have done a mod to your sidearm it doesn't hurt to have a reason and paperwork to back it up. Especially if it’s a glock, sig, walther, etc where the SN is printed on the bbl. You need to abide by whatever law says about serial numbers on parts. May not be an issue in some countries but could mean prosecution in others.

Hand loading can present more of a challenge because its not just accuracy it’s the damage inflicted. If you hand load your cc ammo be able to present all the data about it (brass, primer, powder, and bullet) charts and pressures vs. factory loads. Just use factory available bullets with ballistic chart (available on the company’s website), factory primers, factory powder and NEW BRASS don't modify any of it at all! Be sure there are no laws that prohibit carrying hand loads either (check the state or country law if you travel.)

If you use factory ammo it puts all that liability on the company that made it.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse... don't go to jail for something stupid.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Unfortunately it is true; an attorney can make anyone look like a monster just because he/she “customized” the gun. I customize my range guns, but my CC is stock; the only change I will make on my CC is to install night sights. I do not think it is worth to take any changes concerning this matter. I believe that the best is to get a high quality gun from the very beginning. Also the same happens with the used ammo; good luck explaining to the jury why you used tracer ammo or explosive (incendiary) ammo.
    Please cite actual cases where this has happened.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Both of my Glocks have aftermarket cut rifling barrels so that I can practice with lead bullet handloads. I have NEVER heard of an aftermarket barrel being raised as an issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Also the same happens with the used ammo; good luck explaining to the jury why you used tracer ammo or explosive (incendiary) ammo.
    But what if I'm attacked by someone in a Zeppelin???

Sure, as long as somebody can prove to me where an aftermarket barrel will somehow make that weapon "deadlier". The argument I would pose is that such a barrel would enhance the overall accuracy, thus decreasing the chance of an errant shot.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links