Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed?

This is a discussion on Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Washington State. No training required. I have seen zero issues because of it. Think about this- Lawyers go through years of school, ...

View Poll Results: Should states mandate additional training in order to allow handgun carry?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want more mandated training!

49 15.56%
  • No! We have enough mandates already!

88 27.94%
  • I am not against more training as long as it is not mandatory.

172 54.60%
  • I am undecided.

6 1.90%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I live in Washington State. No training required. I have seen zero issues because of it.

Think about this- Lawyers go through years of school, tough exams, and professional oversight. Can you think of any lawyers who do stupid, irresponsible, illegal things?

It all comes down to the individual. Nothing will change that.

2. Remove Ads

Should states mandate additional training in order to allow handgun carry?
    Not in my opinion.

If so, then it would then be a privilege everywhere, in stead of the right it nearly is.

I believe the original intention of the statement of the "pillar" philosophies in the Declaration and the Constitution were meant to apply to all citizens, which means they apply as limitations to those who would govern at the state level as well. I believe the words meant what they said, even if the Robes mostly do not (and have not for more than a century) in this regard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I am in favor of proficiency testing. Carrying a handgun is a life altering responsibility and proficiency is an extremely important part.

What I do feel should be mandatory is firearm safety. A firearms safety class should be mandatory "to purchase". I believe that CCW classes do not emphasize enough on safety. This is where idiots should learn about life and death and the destructive capabilities of a firearm.

As far as I'm concerned, if you dont know basic firearm operations and safe handling techniques, you're an accident looking for a place to happen.

I didnt vote, the poll is about "training" and I am in favor of "education".
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    How about if the states require a $1000 license fee, a $3000 training course which is only available from a handful of trainers, with a waiting list of 2 years, to make sure the poor, inner city blacks, and "trailer trash" can't afford it, or don't bother?

Because that really IS the point isn't it?

Every gun control law in the last 150 years was designed to disproportionately afflict people of the wrong race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic class.

Any call for "more training" is intended to make CC difficult and expensive, so that the "wrong people" stay disarmed.
    +1
    Every Gun Control law is about Control not Guns. I enjoy training, but it should be your choice not some bureaucrat charging you money for your constitutional rights.

I am curious to see a link to the other board?
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I do IMO think training should be mandatory. That way when one of us shoots someone and goes to court, the DA can stand up say "yes your Honor, he is licenced to carry a firearm and has gone through the MANDATORY training." In my opinion, this could help us.

No to mention the fact, okay, I am an instructor its what I do full time to make a living. I have met some people who have had their CPL for a long time, never had training, and could not draw, let alone, shoot thier gun. And they are carrying on daily basis. Had no reguard for safty what-so-ever. I just had one last week!! Flagged a few of us. He had a time out.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Like others have said, 2A says "Keep and Bear". Meaning I can have one, and that I can "Bear" it, meaning have it on me, to carry.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I am against MANDATORY training. I think my 10 year old neighbor should be allowed to walk around open carrying an M4 or AK-47 (full auto guns) everywhere. They don't need any stinkin' training to exercise our God given rights.

Us sheepdogs are sick and tired of the libtards destroying our rights.

I voted (as long as it is not mandatory), but I think some would be well served if they were to seek some additional training on their own. I personally would like to take on some additional training too. I'm thinking, anytime you can go shoot and send some lead down range is a good thing.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I voted for mandatory training. Started shooting handguns about a year ago and recognized the need for trainihg. How many people have an attitude that they don't need any stinking training. Someone like this without shooting background is an accident waiting to happen. That accident will reflect on all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    I am against MANDATORY training. I think my 10 year old neighbor should be allowed to walk around open carrying an M4 or AK-47 (full auto guns) everywhere.
    Going a little overboard there arn't ya.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

didn't the Romans do this. where you had to be a solider first to become a citizen
    I don't think classes should be mandatory. A gun owner should want to better himself with this tool he has at his side because if used the wrong way like any tool it will cause injury and death.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    the way to be safe is never to be secure.
    Benjamin franklin

I must have missed the part in the 2A that gave you the right to carry concealed. In most states, like Ohio, you can open carry if you like, without any permit or training, but if you want to hide or conceal you firearm you need the permit. Seems like the "concealed carry permit" is a whole seperate "right".
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

In most states we have the manditory 8 hour ccw class. It really doesnt teach much. Im in agreement with the hard line 2A guys, however one women in our class was still shooting when the range was called CLEARED. Its these types regardless of the 2A that need training. Im not sure how this can be done without a mandate, maybe some of the LEO training classes should be open to the public for a small fee. I over heard that same woman say that she was going to the county on the following monday to get her CPL. That did concern me.

Re: mandatory training

Quote Originally Posted by aracnid007 View Post
    I must have missed the part in the 2A that gave you the right to carry concealed. In most states, like Ohio, you can open carry if you like, without any permit or training, but if you want to hide or conceal you firearm you need the permit. Seems like the "concealed carry permit" is a whole seperate "right".
    Concealed carry is NOT a 2A right. It is indeed a states-rights issue. But the idea that "mandatory training" will increase the safety of the gun owner and those around him/her is ludicrous! Proficiency is the only safety to carrying concealed. And the only way to achieve proficiency is practice - practice - practice. Those of us that take defensive carry seriously work hard to achieve that proficiency. So in my view, mandatory training is bravo-sierra - period. It is a legislators "warm fuzzy" politics.

And to touch on open carry (which is IMHO a 2A right)...Ohio and many other states may indeed permit this but I would never condone it. I don't think society or LEO would condone it either. Everyone within any distance would be in a heightened alert state that could have a very bad outcome and not to mention erode our 2A rights.
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

Smile

The gun community should be proactive in encouraging people to take classes on their own. This is a matter of being responsible. The 2A does not say anything about training but we have to face the fact that our society doesn't have a gun in every house like the founding fathers era had. We don't have to hunt for our food, etc. which has led to a great ignorance in the populace regarding guns. So "we" should be very proactive and willing to help newbies to learn correct handling and shooting skills. It is up to us to bridge the gap of ignorance and to help our fellow citizens to have the encouragement and training that they need to be safe.

Armydad

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links