Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed? - Page 4

Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed?

This is a discussion on Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No training needed in Indiana. Lifetime license at that. AND; I have no desire to "purchase" any training at the moment....

View Poll Results: Should states mandate additional training in order to allow handgun carry?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want more mandated training!

49 15.56%
  • No! We have enough mandates already!

88 27.94%
  • I am not against more training as long as it is not mandatory.

172 54.60%
  • I am undecided.

6 1.90%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    No training needed in Indiana. Lifetime license at that.

AND; I have no desire to "purchase" any training at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    I really like the idea of firearm safety classes in our schools.
    good point to mention Cycler.
    They already teach family life and such why not firearms?
    Guns are everywhere and in most homes anyway
    Kids need to be taught firearm safety it would save many lives
    Thanks. My wife is a former full blast anti who's just starting to come around. We signed up our kids to a "safety town" thing which was two weeks of safety stuff. They didn't say a word on firearms safety.

When my wife was filling out the post class questionnaire she wrote in that they should put basic "kid gun safety" into the program - some other mom was reading over her shoulder and said "yea, that's a really good idea". I think something like that could fly.

I think it would be a good idea to have like two weeks of gun safety, probably in middle school - using airsoft or something like that. The challenge would be to provide an opinion neutral program that's not colored by any politics or opinions regarding arms - just the facts.

We had a couple weeks of archery in middle school. Why not a week of pellet gun?

sgb
    As an Instructor I always encourage people to take as much training as they can.

As an American I believe it's every ones God given right to self defense and it's not the Governments place to set the standards as to when a person may exercise that right.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I voted "I'm not against more training as long as it's not mandatory"

In fact I have gone out and paid for more advanced training above the CWP class. I found this training to be very helpful as well.

I must say that I have been hunting and plinking with hand guns and long guns most of my teen and adult years. However, more advanced training in Self Defense scenarios brought out "things" that I hadn't thought about before. I'll be the first to say more training in SD is a good thing however I don't think it should be a mandate.

One of the major reasons that I took it upon myself to get more training is in case I'm ever in a SD situation and I defend myself then end up in court, it may be a plus in my defense that the additional training would show that I intended to do the right thing and I am not a gun toting thug just looking to shoot someone for the heck of it.
    Last edited by scgunlover1; September 7th, 2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Tad more information
    SCGunLover1

DM2
    As a newb who doesn't know anywhere near what I need to know about guns, I do not think firearms training should be mandatory because, as someone said earlier on, that would only serve to exclude certain socioeconomic and racial groups.

That being said, I do think that any reasonable individual with half a brain who desires to own a gun, let alone carry it concealed, should recognize the need for training, especially if they don't have any experience with handguns. It goes along with being responsible.

I have had my CPL for six months and I still don't own a gun yet because I'm still researching the best one for me, including going to the range and practicing with the ones I'm considering. In addition, I've also been researching affordable training, so that when I do obtain my firearm I can take training with my own firearm. That's the only reason I haven't taken any more training yet. I read gun magazines, and I'm currently reading Ayoob's In the Gravest Extreme. We can all learn something, even people who have been handling firearms all their life.

BTW, I do not plan to carry outside of my home and property until I feel I'm ready. That means with my firearm and with my SA skills. Just when I think I'm doing good with SA, I'll read something here that makes me say, ' Wow' hadn't thought of that!!! or I read a scenario, real or fiction, that has me thinking of what I would do in that situation.

So, my vote is for training but that it not be mandatory.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by aracnid007 View Post
    I must have missed the part in the 2A that gave you the right to carry concealed.
    Missed it or just didn't look into it hard enough?

Jefferson, Payne and most of the other writers of the Constitution wore flintlock pistols on their hips. Most of the time they were covered with the coats of the day. They all open carried during warmer weather.

The 2A is only one sentence because these authors had common sense but unfortunately assumed that readers would know the meaning of "regulate", "militia" , "bear" and "shall not". Over the last 200 years the "I hate the Constitution" groups have taken every opportunity to twist and distort the words of and the meaning behind 2A (and most of the other Amendments). One very simple example is the word Regulate. In the 18th century, it meant to "make it work well" or "make regular". Today it means government oversight and control.

If written today, I am sure that the 2A would be a 1000+ page document in itself, full of legal mumbo-jumbo that no one would be able to read or understand.

To fully understand what the 2A is all about, read "The Federalist Papers" and other writings of the founders of the 18th century and the bearing of arms did not stop at long guns or "arms" that could only be seen in the open 100% of the time. The founders did not care how you carried your "arms", hidden or not; just that you have the inalienable right to do so.

With the number of idiots on the increase, I'm afraid I DO think that training is an issue, particularly safety training. I think maturity should be evaluated (e.g.; if a guy comes in for an interview with a KILL LIBERALS t-shirt) as well as the knowledge provided in the NRA basic pistol course. I recommend, however, that the NRA update its basic pistol course to include some basic realities about owning a handgun, including legal particularities. Whether or not this qualifies as "extensive" training I don't know. Also, I approve of background checks. I don't mean to be excessively pro-government, but there are plenty of examples of nuts who have fallen through the cracks, e.g.; that guy who shot up Virginia Tech was well known as a psychiatric risk: the various bureaucracies failed to act and there was a massacre. If there are laws, they should be enforced. On the subject of laws, I think the states and the fed need to review their checklist. For example, there are two cases I know of where people have been denied gun permits because many years ago they were the subject of a restraining order in a domestic dispute. Even after the ROs have expired or been rescinded, the original complaint remains on the books. I won't get into a discussion of the relative fairness of these original ROs, but in their present form, they mark a man or woman for life. In any case, as long as we are talking about laws and requirements, why not push for reform of existing laws.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Carry View Post
    I voted for mandatory training. Started shooting handguns about a year ago and recognized the need for trainihg. How many people have an attitude that they don't need any stinking training. Someone like this without shooting background is an accident waiting to happen. That accident will reflect on all of us.
    Agreed. Far too many people think that they don't need any training at all, that they know everything. They should emphasize firearms safety and shoot/no-shoot situations. And perhaps a refresher course, not the full class, every few years.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LM2024 View Post
    Agreed. Far too many people think that they don't need any training at all, that they know everything. They should emphasize firearms safety and shoot/no-shoot situations. And perhaps a refresher course, not the full class, every few years.
    Absolutely. Mandatory training should be legislated in every state.

This has nothing to do with the Second Amendment. It is states that issue concealed carry licenses, not the Federal government. Even so, as others have explained, there is no right to carry concealed in the Second Amendment.

The People have a responsibility to ensure that everyone that carries a gun is proficient in its use, safety and the law.

With rights come responsibilities.

I'm not against more training, as long as it isn't mandatory. I don't know about other places, but here in Kansas there was no tactical training involved and not very much was about shoot/no shoot senerios.

I'm not in favor of mandatory training.

I do, however, think there should be laws prohibiting the use of firearms in an unsafe or irresponsible manner. For example, if somebody shoots another person, and it's not justifiable as self-defense, there should be some kind of statute that would hold them accountable, and maybe even punish them. There are probably other types of gun use that should also be crimes. Like maybe if you point a gun at someone and tell them to give you their money. It would be a good thing if the states would consider laws like this.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    For example, if somebody shoots another person, and it's not justifiable as self-defense, there should be some kind of statute that would hold them accountable, and maybe even punish them.
    Just curious, but don't you think it might be a bit too late for the victim? I don't think the dead guy cares much about legal retribution after the fact. This is not an issue of accountability but rather it is an issue of responsibility.

Not no but ----> "Hell No"

To do so would only place more control in the govt's hands as to how and when we could exercise our 2nd Amendment right. To do so would be a major mistake and would serve as a gateway for further control legislation. It's up to the individual to seek the training he/she needs to feel comfortable using their weapon. This has worked well without government mandates for years and I see no good reason why it should be changed.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Just curious, but don't you think it might be a bit too late for the victim? I don't think the dead guy cares much about legal retribution after the fact. This is not an issue of accountability but rather it is an issue of responsibility.
    Maybe we should make it a law that people have to act responsibly? That way, we wouldn't have so many dead guys who were killed by irresponsible people who were carrying concealed.

I guess, though, that what you're talking about is training people to act responsibly. How much will it take to do that? And do you set up the training to correct people who are really irresponsible, or just the regular mainstream ones who just are kinda irresponsible out of ignorance? If you're already responsible, could you just take a test and get credit for prior responsibility (sorta like college placement exams), or would you still have to take the responsibility course anyway?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    This is not an issue of accountability but rather it is an issue of responsibility.
    Slicing a non-existent onion. It's holding accountable those responsible, no matter how it's phrased.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links