Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed?

This is a discussion on Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a very heated and long thread on a local forum that I am a member of. A member there posted the question: "Do ...

View Poll Results: Should states mandate additional training in order to allow handgun carry?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want more mandated training!

49 15.56%
  • No! We have enough mandates already!

88 27.94%
  • I am not against more training as long as it is not mandatory.

172 54.60%
  • I am undecided.

6 1.90%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Question Do you think additional training should be mandatory to carry concealed?

This is a very heated and long thread on a local forum that I am a member of.

A member there posted the question:

"Do you think more extensive training shouldbe mandated by the state in order to legally carry a concealed handgun?"

This thread has taken a life of its own and there are a few that commented that "additional training should be mandatory in order for people to carry a concealed handgun".

Basically, they are advocating that citizens should be mandated by the state to pay for additional training courses before they are allowed to carry a hidden handgun. They say the current standards are lousy, which may be correct, but that people are idiots until they are further trained and are not capable of properly defending themselves with a handgun.

What say you?
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Its just another way for the Feds to control. Leave it as is
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    Its just another way for the Feds to control. Leave it as is
    Please place a vote. I was posting poll as you answered. Thanks!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I'm all for voluntarily taking more courses and learning as much as I can. However, the 2A doesn't say that we have a right to bear arms so long as we pass some classes...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I say no. An NRA certified firearms safety class is good enough for me.

It benefits me and meets most states requirements.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I am a CHL instructor in TX. The class requirements are a joke. I think the state should drop the shooting requirement and make the classroom portion an online option.

Not going into a long diatribe here... Simply that I believe the less government intrusion and mandates, the better for society. Let people be responsible for their actions and come down hard on them if they misuse their gun.

I voted, "not against more training as long as it is not mandatory"

Certainly the more training a person gets, the easier it is for him to be a responsible ccw carrier and less likely to have a tragedy. But the responsibility should all be on the gun owner and not demanded by the government.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I vote no. If we try to persuade people to be responsible, they will seek training without mandate. And more mandates won't stop irresponsibility or crime.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

sfo
    i believe there should be more mandatory training. i've been shooting guns and hunting well before i got my ccw. but if the average person who just got their gun went and took the ccw class i did and had to pass that simple shooting test can get a ccw. well i am worried about the armed citizens walking the streets of nevada. the 8 hour ccw class and the shooting test is not enough for a person to be responsible enough to carry concealed. i'm sure alot of the people in my class haven't gone shooting regularly since they passed the class and got their permit. shooting well is a perishable skill. knowing when to shoot is personal judgement.

We did have a similar discussion on this board as well not too long ago. It is a very heated debate, that's for sure.

Personally, I believe that all training should be voluntary. It's the gun owners responsibility to be, well, responsible with their firearms. No amount of training will change someones habits if they don't want to change anyway.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Before we worry about requiring more training for citizens to exercise their 2A Rights, how about grammer, ethics, and logic training mandated for journalist, economics, history, civics, and ethics for elected officials, and history, logic, and economics for all voters?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

No. The right to bare arms supersedes a requirement for training. Hopefully those that do carry consider the seriousness of what they do and will take measures to train themselves adequately.

How about adding gun handling and safety to the public school mandatory curriculum? Then at least most folks would make it out of the system with some exposure and hopefully the realization that they need more training if they want to cary.

Just a nutty idea....flame on.

Being responsible with a firearm is important, and I think people should learn to use their 'tools' correctly and efficiently.
    That being said, I do not believe that training should be mandatory...we have enough mandates already.
    Who decides how much or what kind is enough?
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; September 6th, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Almost everyone has very accurate instinctive pointing skills at defensive distance.
    Almost everyone can tell when great bodily harm or death is imminent.

Sometimes training that goes against the grain of instincts for self preservation may not be helpful in the real world. For example, if you train with the weaver stance, controlled breathing, and sight alignment, what will that do to reaction time in a sudden attack?

Mindset training is very important, but if a detailed study of the laws causes you to ponder all the consequences, what will that do to reaction time in a sudden attack?

Do you think the government can tell each individual exactly what kind of training is best?

The best training will both inspire us to go out to the range to have a blast safely and also encourage us to think about what-if scenarios, situational awareness, and a winning attitude. That's just what we have here on this forum.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links