Good News From Connecticut

This is a discussion on Good News From Connecticut within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fueled by some particularly bad crimes: 1010wins.com - Study Shows More CT Women Packing Heat Posted: Sunday, 06 September 2009 3:38PM Study Shows More CT ...

Fueled by some particularly bad crimes:

1010wins.com - Study Shows More CT Women Packing Heat

Posted: Sunday, 06 September 2009 3:38PM

Study Shows More CT Women Packing Heat

WATERBURY, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut residents are arming themselves at quite a clip, with women, in particular, packing heat in growing numbers.
    The state issued 7,741 pistol permits from January through May, a 90 percent increase over the same time period in 2008.
    Nearly 12,000 new permits have been issued so far this year in a state that recently posted one of the lowest gun ownership rates in the country, according a study of 2006 data by the Violence Policy Center, a national gun control advocacy group based in Washington, D.C.

Connecticut gun retailers and educators who run the safety classes required for pistol permit applicants report a surge in first-time gun purchases, particularly by women, who account for up to half of the students taught in Torrington.

``I think that the percentage that you'd see of women coming for the first time has quadrupled,'' said John Petricone, a staffer at Tactical Arms in Torrington. Pistol safety classes that once drew about nine men for every woman are now evenly split, Petricone said.

Herb Furhman, a retired state trooper who now trains correction officers and operates HF LeanSafety LLC in New Milford, said his private classes are running at capacity, and about a third of his students are female.

'`There's more single women now,'' Furhman said.

``They want to be protected in their home.''

Furhman said high-profile crimes, including the Aug. 6 home invasion and rape of a New Milford woman and the notorious 2007 home invasion rape and murder of Dr. William Petit's wife and two daughters in Cheshire, fuel much of the interest in firearms. He recently secured certification to teach an advanced course on personal protection in the home, with a first class coming in October.

Ray Sausanavitch, owner of Wolf's Indoor Range and Shooting Center in Bristol, said his began to jump during the 2008 presidential campaign.

``It's all due to Mr. Obama, our biggest salesman,'' Susanav -itch said, noting that Obama as a senator and a presidential candidate supported tighter gun control. President Obama has not made any movements so far toward stricter gun con -trol laws.

Still, Susanavitch has no doubt that the administration will make a push to tighten gun laws eventually.

``Whenever you get a threat that something might be taken away, it doesn't matter what it is ... sales of that particular item are going to go up,'' Susanavitch said. ``It's just that simple.''

Gun control advocates, who failed to secure legislation this year that would require gun makers to imprint serial numbers on the firing pins of pistols sold in Connecticut, worry the surge in gun ownership will eventually bring tragic consequences.

``We're always concerned that more guns lead to more gun deaths,'' said Ron Pinciaro, co-director of Connecticut Against Gun Violence, an advocacy group based on Southport.

``From our perspective, if people want to have guns for self-defense or hunting, we're not opposed to that,'' Pinciaro said. ``But we do advise people that a gun in a household is 47 times more likely to be used against another member of the household than it is against an intruder.''

That statistic, drawn from an article published in the New England Journal of Medicine, is one Furhman views with skepticism.

``I teach safe, responsible gun ownership, safety being the operative word,'' Furhman said. The three basic rules: ``Aim in safe direction, never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, and always keep firearms unloaded.''

Ammunition is also flying off the shelves. Susanavitch and other gun retailers said supplies of everything but shotgun ammunition remain short, and pistol ammunition is in particularly short supply.

``We don't get every caliber every week,'' Susanavitch said. ``Everything's back-ordered.''

John Napierski, co-owner Jojo's Gun Works, a Southington shop that specializes in high-end custom guns, said strong sales have been fueled by a new customer base.

``It's a lot of women,'' Napierski said. ``Not the usual gun guys.''

Tactical Arms staffer Samantha Cavallo, 21, said the store's policy that staff should be armed while on duty is not the only reason she secured her own pistol permit.

``I just want it for my own protection,'' Cavallo said, citing concern sparked by recent burglaries in Torrington, her hometown. ``A lot of my girlfriends and family members they definitely think it's a good thing to have. You've got to be ready, and be prepared.''

I don't know if this is good news or not......more women with guns?....Just don't get them mad at you.....

Seriously....good for them...now let's work on reciprocity for CC permits with adjoing states and that will be really good news
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

I know more women in CT that carry pistols than men. they also know how to use them. If I was a single man, I would feel very secure and protected when I am dating these gals.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Good for them
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

RMS

Sounds like women are taking responsibility for their own safety. Good for them.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

VIP Member
    I gave a pistol safety class to 3 Woman in CT about a month ago.

While I think it's awesome that more women are taking responsibility for their own safety and welfare, two things caught my eye in that article:

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    Herb Furhman, a retired state trooper who now trains correction officers and operates HF LeanSafety LLC in New Milford... <snip>

"I teach safe, responsible gun ownership, safety being the operative word," Furhman said. The three basic rules: "Aim in safe direction, never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, and always keep firearms unloaded."
    Always keep firearms unloaded??? That wasn't one of the safety rules I learned. I hear that an unloaded firearm is pretty much an expensive stick. Besides, if you tell people to always keep them unloaded, it's more likely they'll assume it is unloaded, and that could be a very bad thing.

"From our perspective, if people want to have guns for self-defense or hunting, we're not opposed to that," Pinciaro said. "But we do advise people that a gun in a household is 47 times more likely to be used against another member of the household than it is against an intruder."

That statistic, drawn from an article published in the New England Journal of Medicine, is one Furhman views with skepticism.
    I would love to see that article. 47 times more likely, hm? Of course, anyone can find statistics and massage them to make their point.

It is very encouraging to see more and more women not only purchasing firearms for personal protection, but also going so far as to getting ccw permits in record number.

``From our perspective, if people want to have guns for self-defense or hunting, we're not opposed to that,'' Pinciaro said. ``But we do advise people that a gun in a household is 47 times more likely to be used against another member of the household than it is against an intruder.''

Furhman has good cause to view that statistic with skepticism.

If I recall correctly that article from the New England Journal of Medicine was proven to have been based on faulty and skewed statistical analysis.

Which outraged a lot of scholars who felt that doctors, on a whole are capable scientists who should know how to perform a proper statistical analysis. But it appeared they had political motives for coming to their conclusion in the study.

That study went a long way as to tainting the credibility of the New England Journal.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

``But we do advise people that a gun in a household is 47 times more likely to be used against another member of the household than it is against an intruder.''

New England Journal of Medicine is a rather liberal publication as I recall. Anti gun is the norm for that rag.
    I remember years ago a pediatrician felt the need to ask if I had guns in the house. I looked him in the eye and lied my a$$ off when I told him "no". (It was none of his business.)

Anyhow, Congrats to all you ladies arming up out there!
    When you take your babies in to see the doctor, he (or she) has no right to know whether or not you own a gun. Just keep 'em safe.

Carry on.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    ...a pediatrician felt the need to ask if I had guns in the house. I looked him in the eye and lied my a$$ off when I told him "no". (It was none of his business.)
    Amen to that. I told my son that if pediatrician asked him that, he could answer "no" and not get in any trouble with me for fibbing. It really is none of the doctor's business, and I sure as heck don't want it on any official form...

I would like to know how they arrived at the 47 times more likely stat.

Links