Roanoke Times OP Ed

This is a discussion on Roanoke Times OP Ed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Responsible gun ownership - Roanoke.com Roanoke, Va Responsible gun ownership Roger E. Weddle Weddle lives in Roanoke. Dan Casey, in his column "Getting permit was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roanoke Times OP Ed

VIP Member

Roanoke Times OP Ed

Responsible gun ownership - Roanoke.com
    Roanoke, Va

Responsible gun ownership

Roger E. Weddle

Weddle lives in Roanoke.

Dan Casey, in his column "Getting permit was the easy part" (Aug. 30), demonstrated the main difference between conservatives and liberals in American society. Unsurprisingly, Casey takes a dim view of our liberty to bear arms in this country, one of the first rights granted in our Constitution.

There is a reason for the bipartisan support for the law that does not require the type of restrictions Casey desires. Maybe it is because it is not needed. Individuals who decide to exercise their right to carry a firearm, concealed or not, have a responsibility to be familiar with the firearm.

With any right there is responsibility, whether it is the right to bear arms, freedom of speech or, dare I say, freedom of the press. Freedom of speech does not allow one to shout "fire" in a movie theater when there is no fire. Freedom of the press does not allow libel. The right to assemble does not permit violent demonstration. There is a certain level of responsibility with each of our rights.

In the liberal world, it is up to the government to protect us from ourselves and to make up laws where there is no problem. This is a common theme with liberalism. Its adherents create crises where none exist then legislate and regulate to promote an agenda.

Our country is suffering the consequences of this tactic, which is used by the current presidential administration. These consequences will reach far into the future.

Of course, Casey's article had a dual purpose. Not only did he bemoan our constitutional right, but he also sought to smear Sen. Ken Cuccinelli, the Republican attorney general candidate, who received a $1,000 campaign donation from Concealed Carry Institute owner Roger Marcus.

It was not until the end of the column that Casey mentioned that Democratic candidate Steve Shannon also voted for the bill.

Under this type of reasoning, should we be concerned about Shannon's campaign contributions from Freedom Bail Bonding of Fairfax ($2,500) and Virginia AFL-CIO ($25,000) or the $6,500 Service Employees International Union Local 32BJ "American Dream Fund" from New York, an organization that has donated a total of $44,973 exclusively to Democratic candidates?

Why not do some real investigative journalism and give us examples where some of the 203,132 Virginians who hold permits to carry are shooting themselves in the foot or committing crimes? Show us areas in the country where concealed carry permits have been instituted and thereafter had an increase in the crime rate.

Stop complaining about our rights and our liberties. If Casey doesn't feel competent in carrying a concealed handgun, then he shouldn't. To do so would be stupid.

I'm sure there are plenty of criminals carrying handguns who have plenty of experience and knowledge in gun safety. I hope this is some comfort to Casey.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

great letter.... now if only the liberals were as open-minded as they claim.

this Casey guy sounds like he is just looking for something to cry and complain about to get people's attention. He sounds like a lazy reporter who can't do his job correctly.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mosouthpaw View Post
    What they aren't open minded?

If history is any teacher, for the Roanoke Times to publish an Op-Ed or letter of that sort means they've got a scathing, Chicken Little, head-in-sand type of article waiting in the wings that will be published in the next several days.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Liberals define open mindedness as everyone agreeing with them. If you do not agree with them, you are a hate-filled, right wing, reactionary, knuckle dragging, Neanderthal.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Good letter except for "one of the first rights granted in our Constitution." We need to be careful not to reinforce the liberals' interpretation that the Bill of Rights "granted" rights.

The Bill of Rights recognized and guaranteed rights that pre-dated the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    you are a hate-filled, right wing, reactionary, knuckle dragging, Neanderthal.
    This best decribes my family
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have lived in the Roanoke area for the last 3 years. I refuse to buy their paper or even accept a free copy. I do my best not to support their advertisers. I don't understand how they get away with some of the crap they have pulled. But they are still in business.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member

Hum??

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Liberals define open mindedness as everyone agreeing with them.
    Does that mean that someone on this Forum, who claims to hate Liberals & Libertarians, is actually a Liberal.

Ducking & running
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It IS possible for a Liberal to be a card-carrying NRA member and a gun-rights advocate, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by av8er View Post
    It IS possible for a Liberal to be a card-carrying NRA member and a gun-rights advocate, isn't it?
    Sure. It just seems to be fairly uncommon.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    So much for tolerance on Casey's part.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Liberals are very opened minded as long as you follow their mandates...

VIP Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by av8er View Post
    Absolutely.

I've met quite a few.

In fact, nearly all the political/philosophical/doctrinal labels have morphed in their general use in the vernacular.

IMHO, it is rare that any of the "labeled" groups are homogeneous or that the members come from the same underlying core values.

Agreeing (or disagreeing) with a simple statement may have its roots in quite different values. People can agree on a simple statement for totally different ideological reasons, or for totally non-ideological reasons.

For example folk might give the same answer to the same issue/question, "Do you think you should eat bacon?" for quite different reasons:

Just don't like the taste.

Worried about weight gain.

Worried about personal health issues -- e.g., any red meat, fat intake, etc.

Is a Vegetarian for organized religious reasons.

Is a Vegetarian for ethical reasons outside of organized religion, e.g., issues w/ ecological impact of meat production, PETA, etc.

Is a Non-vegetarian but avoid pork because of organized religion dictates. And as we know folks in this group are often at war w/ each other, for reasons that have little to do with bacon.

Etc.

Just because I (or others) am/are strong RKBA proponent(s) doesn't mean I (or them) will agree with other members of the RKBA family -- on all issues. So, why should we expect everyone labeled "liberal" to agree on all issues with everyone else labeled "liberal"?
    Last edited by DaveH; September 8th, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links