Helping others...

This is a discussion on Helping others... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say you were walking down the street. A man pulls a gun on some elderly woman and starts dragging her into a house She ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Helping others...

Helping others...

Lets say you were walking down the street. A man pulls a gun on some elderly woman and starts dragging her into a house She is screaming and begging for help. He brutally pistol whips her and pulls her by the hair into a house. The local papers and news have talked about the local serial killer and serial rapist, this guy matches the description and the MO.

Will you step in or is your gun just for yourself and family?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    When it is something that clear cut, I'm probably going to intervene at some level. That's not something I could just watch and then go on my merry way.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Of course, why else carry unless it's only for purely selfish
    concerns. We must stand up to defend those who are helpless and especially if they, as in this situation are in danger of losing their life.

Too good not to reprise!

The perils of intervention on behalf of others has been discussed repeatedly. I will post this link as "food for thought" for those that may not have read it before.

Commentary by Evan Marshall

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I'm afraid my military training would go into overdrive in this case. I would do everthing I could to help as long as I didnt severely compromise my safety either. I'd rather not get into a gunfight if I didnt have to ...
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

No, I won't chase the bad guy in your scenario. If they are inside, I don't go in after an armed person. That's like trying to clear an unfamiliar house by yourself. Not smart.

I'll be calling 911 and waiting. Might try yelling to let him know that he was seen and the police are on the way but from a safe position.

If they are still outside and visible, I'll do what I can within the limits of my training.

Re: helping others

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    The perils of intervention on behalf of others has been discussed repeatedly. I will post this link as "food for thought" for those that may not have read it before.

Biker
    Thanks Biker. Your link to Evan Marshall says all that needs said.
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

Biker
    +1, Thanks for that link. It really makes ya stop and think about it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

That's a tough one. Like someone else said, if they are already inside by this time, I'd likely do more harm than good by going inside. Outside...hard to say because of so many other factors.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Nice try Oldskoolfan... I already know what I'll do. Most members here know what I'll do... But the bottom line here is this...
    And inquiring minds want to know.

What Will You Do Oldskoolfan?

Feel free to post your response before you have an opportunity to read everyone else's before you formulate your game plan.

We understand for OPSEC ("Operational Security") reasons, you may not wish to reveal your "trade secrets," but we promise not to tell the bad guys.

Your secrets are safe with us!

Note: No further posts from me on this thread should be expected!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Unequivocally, yes I would help out. I'm probably going to be contrary to most who respond, but I would be willing to risk my life for her safety. This isn't a simply car jacking or robbery. This would be a premeditated, violent attack.

I think, even morally, I wouldn't be able to NOT intervene.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Biker
    Yup!
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Evan's well-written essay underpins my belief that simply using the sheep/sheepdog tags can lead to dangerous and faulty thinking.

If someone chooses NOT to carry (as in a recent thread regarding a poster's spouse), they are often simply making a different risk calculation than you. It doesn't make them a "sheep". The requirements for carrying a loaded pistol in many states are easier than adopting a stray dog. I support our rights to do so, but it hardly gives you a reason to look down your nose at those who choose not to.

If you want to be a "sheepdog", get involved in educational programs for young people, become a block captain in your neighborhood, run for public office, volunteer at the soup kitchen and hospital, or - for those that really dig the firearms aspect - become a LEO.

A simple willingness to take violent and lethal action on behalf of others is a recipe for vigilantism, as well as sundry other potential disasters.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Evan's well-written essay underpins my belief that simply using the sheep/sheepdog tags can lead to dangerous and faulty thinking.

If someone chooses NOT to carry (as in a recent thread regarding a poster's spouse), they are often simply making a different risk calculation than you. It doesn't make them a "sheep". The requirements for carrying a loaded pistol in many states are easier than adopting a stray dog. I support our rights to do so, but it hardly gives you a reason to look down your nose at those who choose not to.

If you want to be a "sheepdog", get involved in educational programs for young people, become a block captain in your neighborhood, run for public office, volunteer at the soup kitchen and hospital, or - for those that really dig the firearms aspect - become a LEO.

A simple willingness to take violent and lethal action on behalf of others is a recipe for vigilantism, as well as sundry other potential disasters.
    Very well put.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links