Florida's Non Resident License vs Louisiana

This is a discussion on Florida's Non Resident License vs Louisiana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Louisiana resident and I am about to sign up for my first concealed carry class but was recently told that I could ...

Thread: Florida's Non Resident License vs Louisiana

Florida's Non Resident License vs Louisiana

I am a Louisiana resident and I am about to sign up for my first concealed carry class but was recently told that I could get a non resident Florida License and save some time. Is there any advantage of getting my Louisiana license being that that is the state I reside in of is the nonresident Florida license just as accepted by local law inforcement.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Handgunlaw.us

/Click on Louisiana. Time to get a nonresident Florida permit is 180 days or so.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Travel would be the only problem . Some states do not honor Non resident permits. 1 Example is SC. I have a NR new Hampshire , and it is good all the way to the border of SC
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by DANJA View Post
    I am a Louisiana resident and I am about to sign up for my first concealed carry class but was recently told that I could get a non resident Florida License and save some time. Is there any advantage of getting my Louisiana license being that that is the state I reside in of is the nonresident Florida license just as accepted by local law inforcement.
    I'd check your state's AG website to be sure. While LA may accept FL non-resident permits, it may ONLY be for non-LA residents.
    Many states will only accept their own permits for residents.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

There is rumor of Louisiana dropping Florida nonresident licenses from their list of honored licenses in the near future. The best reason I can get from anyone is a training issue, but I'm leaning more towards a money issue. After all we all know that it is a bunch of crap that we have to even get a license to carry our legally owned weapons.

That being said, I'd suggest getting a resident Louisiana license instead.
    John Luttrell

Get the Louisiana license first.

My reason for a Louisiana Permit

As a resident of Louisiana I too had a choice of a Louisiana Permit or a Floridia non resident permit. Several people recommended the Fla permit and I might still get one however, after considerable deliberation I decided to get a Louisiana permit first and recommend you do the same. My reason behind it is that I doubt any one in Louisiana has any stastic of how many of its residents have a Fla permit. On the other hand you can bet that there are statistics by area on all the residentiall permits. I figure that my legislator checks to see how many are in his district when he votes on something that might affect us. In other words there is strength in numbers and we need your added number.

I am a Louisiana resident with a Florida non-resident license. I have not heard about the above rumor about LA dropping FL from their reciprocity list.

The advantages of the FL non-resident permit is more states will recognize it and of course the cost is much less. It costs $117 for 7 years. LA is $100 for 4 years. Per FL's website, there are only 4 states that require you to be a FL resident. They are, Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. So, if you plan to visit those states often, then I would advise you to get a LA license.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

It looks like it was a rumor started by opponents of Bobby Jindal, when we was running for election. They stated that he has a problem with Louisiana residents carrying on out-of-state permits, and that he intended to push for legislation that would only permit Louisiana residents to carry in Louisiana on a Louisiana-issued CHL; Reciprocity would of remained for non-LA residents.

This of course was before he was elected and he has shown since his election to be a very supportive to us gun owners. For instance, he vetoed a bill that would have made it a crime to carry firearms within 1,000 feet of a sanctioned parade or demonstration in the State of Louisiana, even if you were legally licensed.

He also sponsored a bill barring federal law enforcement officers from confiscating legally owned guns after a disaster such as Hurricane Katrina, which was passed by a large margin. Based on his actions on gun control so far, I'd be very surprised if there are any facts to the rumors at all.
    John Luttrell

Links