Non-Incident in a Parking Lot

This is a discussion on Non-Incident in a Parking Lot within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my family to Myrtle Beach, SC this past weekend for an annual trip with three other families. Since I am licensed in NC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Incident in a Parking Lot

Non-Incident in a Parking Lot

I took my family to Myrtle Beach, SC this past weekend for an annual trip with three other families. Since I am licensed in NC I printed off the state specific info on SC to make sure I follow all the appropriate rules for SC. Thanks to HandGunLaw.us for the excellent site.

After a long day at the beach I took a short nap and awoke to my wife asking where the closest drug store was located because in the rush to get out of the house for the trip she neglected to pack all her cosmetics. At the hotel we had parked in parking garage which is quite a big challenge considering we have a large SUV. She did not want to deal with taking the vehicle so she was going to take a walk to the drug store.

I figured I could get a few brownie points so I volunteered to drive her so we head off to the local Rite-Aid which was only a few blocks away. I park the vehicle in an almost empty lot and settle back in for another cat nap as my wife indicates “I will make it quick”, which for her means around 15 minutes. I’m in the driver’s seat with the doors locked and the vehicle turned off. Now an important footnote for the story ... all my vehicle windows (except the front windshield) are completely black. I have had them all “limo tinted” so they are dark as can be.

Now obviously my SA was in white at the time because I was in-fact sleeping in the car. In my half daze nap I hear a noise at the driver’s side door. Because of the way I am sitting my head is about 6 inches from the window. I open my eyes and standing less than a foot from my head is another man as he is trying to open my door. Remember … he cannot see anything in my vehicle. My first thought is “what the heck … this guy is trying to steal my vehicle … and I am in it”. I immediately sit up in the seat and sweep my t-shirt over my IWB holster to make ready access to my Glock 26 in the event this situation escalates and he has a weapon. I then think what if I am getting car jacked … are there other BG’s who have the drop on me. I quickly look in my rear view mirror and am OK from behind. I sweep my eyes to the right side mirror and am OK from the right and now I see right over the right side mirror an IDENTICAL vehicle to my own.

This all happens in a matter of seconds. Now seeing the other identical vehicle I was able to process the fact that this poor guy was just trying to get in his car and mistook mine for his. I wasn’t sure what to do next as I did not want to “scare” him by announcing my presence but after another 10 seconds of him messing with his key in my lock I rolled down my window slightly and said “Sir … I believe your car is over there”. Now as soon as the window started to roll down this guy turned completely white. He apologized and embarrassingly walked to his vehicle. I am almost certain he had to throw away his underpants when he got home.

This event completely reinforced for me that not all situations are as they appear to be. Hopefully some others will glean the same from the post.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

2. Remove Ads

Close one!
    Ain't no fun when the rabbit has a gun!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    What are the odds that he wouldn't notice that your vehicles windows are tinted limo black? What makes you think he didn't spot your vehicle and park so he could try his key in your vehicle? Car keys have been known to open similar vehicles. Parking next to you provides the perfect alibi in the event that he is caught in the act.

As you say, not all situations are as they appear to be.

There are 1706 possible key codes for the ford vehicles with each key has 8 possible cuts. So the chances of the wrong key opening and fairly low. As the vehicle ages and the locks get worn the possible does get a little higher but I would play the odds that he was not trying to break in. there is a universal key for all cars it is called a brick.

I watched an older gentleman try to get into my truck once in a store parking lot.

I walked over to him and politely told him that his truck was the next one over. The only difference between the two trucks was my bugscreen.

Sometimes things really are innocent.

Biker

That just sounds like an incident I would just sit back and chuckle to myself afterward. I'm easily entertained!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Only sounds like it was an embarrassment for the other guy...fortunately, nothing else.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great post. Like you said, it does highlight that all may not be as it appears at 1st glance. All else aside, you showed good judgement in taking a “combat pause“ to assess the situation before reacting. Assuming it only took you an instant, job well done.

I'm sure others have spoken/will speak to the “all else".
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Great situational awareness on your part.

Great story. I'm sure this happens quite often. A few weeks ago my kids and I sat in the car as my wife ran in the gas station. When she came out she stopped to pick up a coin off the ground then proceeded to try to open the door of the car next to me. I HAD to roll my window down and make sure she saw me laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Car keys have been known to open similar vehicles.
    Several years ago I got in what I thought was MY vehicle and drove away. As I was about to exit the parking lot I realized it was NOT my vehicle.

Fortunately I got the wrong vehicle back in its parking space before the owner showed up. Mine was one row over.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    You spared the poor guy a heart attack my not rolling down the window and showing him your Glock!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Man, I'd be worked up myself, even if it was as innocent as you imply.

The thing I wonder about is this:

I park the vehicle in an almost empty lot
    Did you notice his when you pulled in? That would throw some flags up for me if I didn't...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Several years ago I got in what I thought was MY vehicle and drove away. As I was about to exit the parking lot I realized it was NOT my vehicle.

Fortunately I got the wrong vehicle back in its parking space before the owner showed up. Mine was one row over.
    Now what are the odds of THAT happening?

Now what would have been really funny would be to put the car back in the parking place, .... backwards.

I'd have to stay nearby just to watch.

To OP, great story!
    You handled it well.
    I might have needed an underwear change.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    Now what would have been really funny would be to put the car back in the parking place, .... backwards.

HA! That would be priceless!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links