Police concerned about change in concealed weapons law - Page 2

Police concerned about change in concealed weapons law

This is a discussion on Police concerned about change in concealed weapons law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a completely political based opinion. He no more speaks for the rank and file HPD officers, than Obama speaks for the working taxpayers ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police concerned about change in concealed weapons law

VIP Member
    This is a completely political based opinion. He no more speaks for the rank and file HPD officers, than Obama speaks for the working taxpayers of this country. The person holding that position, always has political aspirations and uses that position as a stepping stone to local politics.

First, if the officer sees a gun in the vehicle, the CHL holder is guilty of failing to conceal his weapon. He may not lose his license for failing to notify, but he can get charged with failing to conceal his weapon. If the weapon is concealed as it should be there is no problem with the stop.

I think most CHL holders will continue to notify.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post
    A concealed pistol permit is not some kind of pass that absolves one from the responsibility to obey traffic laws.
    ok, ok. we get your point already.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Once in a great while I am pulled over by LEO's. In Nevada, we have to present our permits and ID to the officer if requested to do so. Here's how it's worded according to the law:

"202.3667 Permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

As a matter of practice the first thing I do during a traffic stop is hand the LEO my permit & my DL. The way I see it, the more the officer realizes I'm not a threat to him that makes me look that much better.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Here in AZ, its my understanding that while they're following me or running my plate, that my CCW status is already on their computer screen. Along with my NRA, McCain and AF Ret. stickers being little clues to my conservative nature.
    That being said, I'm planning to present my Card along with my DL, just to keep everyone friendly and reduce any tension.

We don't in New York, but I would tell if I got stopped. Puts the officer a lot more at easy than not knowing and then spotting a gun in some situation. Would put me more at ease too - it a potentially dangerous situation so I'd do what I could to make it safe for both parties.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    In New Mexico we're not required to say anything. In fact we may carry a loaded firearm anywhere in our vehicles including on our person, without a permit. It's never been a problem here.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post
    If you have illegal window tint, or commit moving traffic violations then you, by definition are not a law abiding citizen.
    I have a medical excemption certificate from the State for the tinted windshield. The moving violations have been for a few miles over the speed limit, smoked license plate cover, smoked brake lights, I forgot to put the decal on the license plate to show I renewed my registration, nothing major, but I guess you are correct, I am not perfect.
    I was trying to make a point that most people that get pulled over, get pulled over for something that they did wrong.

We in Kansas do NOT have to notify LEO of concealed gun,but encouraged to do so.

I think it would be in your best interest to let them know you're carrying. I've spoken with several officer buddies who have said that they would want to know upfront, if someone had a loaded firearm in their possession or vehicle during a traffic stop.
    Be Safe,
    Chuck

I just want to point out that what the head of the police union thinks is likely entirely different than the notions of actual officers. Those guys aren't cops. They're politicians.

ETA: TX-JB has already made this point. What he said!

I don't have to and won't ever voluntarily disclose my armed status. It just adds unnecessary information to the equation that most times complicates a simple interaction. Some officers are ok but there are others that fundamentally feel that citizens should not be armed. These are the type that will hem you up for forty five minutes while they run the serials from your gun to supposedly make sure it isn't stolen. Wanna do my VIN and the ESN on my blackberry too? Then, when it comes back clean, they start in with the questions of why are you armed? It's nothing more than a guise for harassment. No thanks.

But to the question of whether it makes LE less safe, the police union doesn't have to look far to study how many LE are shot by licensed carriers in states that don't require disclosure (zilch) to see that it makes no difference whatsoever.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Notification is nonsense.

Here in Ohio, a guy was charged and tried because he didn't notify for 51 seconds after the cops themselves tried to prevent him from notifying during a felony stop. He was of course acquitted, and will probably pursue civil suits against the city and the officers involved.

It's things like that which cause gun owners to not care one whit for the cop's "ease".

Quote Originally Posted by ckgdrums View Post
    I think it would be in your best interest to let them know you're carrying. I've spoken with several officer buddies who have said that they would want to know upfront, if someone had a loaded firearm in their possession or vehicle during a traffic stop.
    A guy from North Carolina notified some Fairfax County Virginia cops when he didn't need to. They falsely arrested him for "having hollowpoints", "crossing state lines with a loaded gun", and "carrying a concealed weapon [with a valid credential recognized by Virginia]". They tried to unlawfully keep his gun after he was freed by a magistrate.

Now explain why anybody would WANT to notify if they weren't REQUIRED to.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    But to the question of whether it makes LE less safe, the police union doesn't have to look far to study how many LE are shot by licensed carriers in states that don't require disclosure (zilch) to see that it makes no difference whatsoever.
    and to look at the stats showing all crimes committed by license holders
    its just a talking point, they have no proof whatsoever because there isn't any
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

As is often the case, some hypothetical that never has happened that the anti-gun statements draw from concerning CC permit holders.

In contrast, many LEO do some pretty dangerous actions, from time to time, when the CC permit holder informs the LEO that they have a firearm.

PS- In MI you are required to inform, I have been stopped, and being a law-abiding CC permit holder always inform.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    These are the type that will hem you up for forty five minutes while they run the serials from your gun to supposedly make sure it isn't stolen.
    The way I get around this is to carry a copy of my bill of sale for the firearm in my glovebox. Driver license, copy of insurance, registration, and bill of sale of the firearm I have in my possession. Overkill maybe, but might make a traffic stop go a little smoother.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links