Police concerned about change in concealed weapons law

This is a discussion on Police concerned about change in concealed weapons law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The issue, since it came (if I read this correctly) from the police union, may be more relevant to what the union is doing for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police concerned about change in concealed weapons law

The issue, since it came (if I read this correctly) from the police union, may be more relevant to what the union is doing for its membership than any problem with the public and permits. I think you just got caught in a political catch 22 and not a logistic problem.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Some of y'all are making far too much of this. In Texas, 'WAY before the CHL system was enacted, it was considered the polite and prudent thing to INFORM an LEO if one had a weapon inside the vehicle. LEOs informed fellow LEOs of their handguns, and everyone informed LEOs of concealed long guns, which were, and remain, legal inside vehicles, loaded or not. The "traveling" defense also existed from quote a 'way back when, and we informed then, too, as a matter of normal social discourse.

One more thing: Before the CHL system in Texas, lots of folks carried handguns in their vehicles when they were NOT really "traveling," but as it was the polite thing to do, and prudent from a safety standpoint, most such folks informed LEOs, anyway. The polite thing for an LEO to do in such cases was to overlook this illegal but socially acceptable practice, and let it go. Did it always work that way? No. Usually, it did .

Even many drunk drivers, booked for DWI, had their handguns checked into the property room, to be picked up later, after they had arranged bail.

Folks, Texas peace officers, as a whole, are not nearly as anti-gun as so many anti-LEO types make it out to be, or seem to WANT it to be.

I don't think that Officer Blankenship or Sgt. Calley are anti-gun, or anti-2nd Amendment. They just want armed folks to follow the normal, polite, prudent, Texan social convention of informing an LEO if legally armed.

BTW, don't expect the Houston news media, or any other news outlet, to print the whole truth, or the whole content of an interview. They print the bits they want to print, as it suits their desire to present their agenda, or sensationalize.

Oh, and before anyone injects race into this, I saw white officers giving black folks a pass on the handgun thing, and vice versa, in the pre-CHL days. Good folks are good folks, period.
    Last edited by Rexster; September 9th, 2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo

This one is one of my most thing that I dont understand at ALL.

Without CHL - you dont need to inform LEO if you have firearm on you.

With CHL - you are required to inform LEO if you have firearm on you.

This tells me criminal have more freedom than law abiding.

Also whats the purpose for a CCWer to inform LEO if you have a firearm ? I'm pretty sure LEO already knew you have one before you inform LEO, why bother ?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    This one is one of my most thing that I dont understand at ALL.

Without CHL - you dont need to inform LEO if you have firearm on you.

With CHL - you are required to inform LEO if you have firearm on you.

This tells me criminal have more freedom than law abiding.

Also whats the purpose for a CCWer to inform LEO if you have a firearm ? I'm pretty sure LEO already knew you have one before you inform LEO, why bother ?
    Old news. As of September 01, 2009, CHL'ers no longer have to inform. The news story of two LEOs' reaction to that is what started this whole thread.

We're required to advise only if asked. There's been no issues that I know of with it at all.

Why would they think it will put officers in risk ? I dont see why ? We all are law abiding not criminal.

Also, since new law that dont requried to inform LEO - but it will still be on the system when LEO pull up driver license ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Old news. As of September 01, 2009, CHL'ers no longer have to inform. The news story of two LEOs' reaction to that is what started this whole thread.
    Ahh, thanks for quick reply. I need to read slow

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I see it this way; the higher in rank you go in a leadership role, the more of a politician you have to become, and less "one of the people". It seems to work for both the military and police.
    Don't forget the biggest offenders, those in government!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    Why would they think it will put officers in risk ? I dont see why ? We all are law abiding not criminal.

Also, since new law that dont requried to inform LEO - but it will still be on the system when LEO pull up driver license ?
    I'm thinking the thought process is that by not being informed, the LEO will be nervious, and might overact, fearing there is a gun.

That is my guess, I don't find it very valid.

Of all the firearm related issues, informing LEO you have a CC permit with firearm is not one I going to write Congress or join a rally on, regardless of the slippery slope arguments.

I may not like it, but for me, not a big issue, as long as LEO don't somehow use it to justify some other step, like the search of a car, or you waited to long to inform.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I see it this way; the higher in rank you go in a leadership role, the more of a politician you have to become, and less "one of the people". It seems to work for both the military and police.
    I partly agree with this statement...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Not so. You just need to find those with backbone. Those who remember where they came from, and those who stand on basic principles. There's still a few of them out there.
    This I agree with but, to get higher, even the ones who stood on principal needed to sell their souls to the politicians to get to the top so even if they aren't one, they are usually very beholden to the politicians.

It's a shame.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Blankenship is a nut job. Always has been. He is nothing more than a teamster flunkie. What the article fails to tell you is that the officer knows you have a CHL whether you tell him or not. No one is being put at risk here.

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    “When an officer is on a traffic stop and he observes a weapon that he wasn’t made aware of, he is going to draw his weapon until he gets the whole scene under control.”
    [/I]
    Any offficer who would draw down on a non-threatening person at the sight of a non-tjreatening gun is a total IDIOT fitting of the term "Keystone"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    Any offficer who would draw down on a non-threatening person at the sight of a non-tjreatening gun is a total IDIOT fitting of the term "Keystone"
    I completely disagree with you on this, as a cop if we see a gun on a traffic stop...it is a threat....period
    cops are killed by "non-threatening people" and "non-threatening guns" quite regularly

in Texas its against the law to not have the handgun concealed

I guess I'm an idiot as you said, because if I walk up to a window on a traffic stop and see a gun I'm drawing and giving commands for everyone to get their hands up

I almost shot a lady in the doorway of an apartment about 2 months ago, she had what some would consider a "non-threatening gun", it was her home-defense .357 and came to the door with it in her hand....guess what....she had 2 cops with guns drawn on her, I guess we were idiots then too

we can't take chances on this situation by assuming they are a CHL and everything is just fine.....thats how cops get killed and I'm going home at the end of my shift

about 12 years ago, before I was LEO or had my CHL, I got pulled over by a deputy, he asked for my license/insurance and I felt my back pocket.....no wallet, I thought it had slipped out in the car so I looked in between the seats....I looked up and had a stainless S&W .45 pointing at my head
    did I get mad? no
    did I think the deputy was an IDIOT fitting of the term "Keystone" ?
    no, he was doing his job and watching out for his own hind end, not knowing what was in my car and could kill him. I screwed up by not saying "I don't seem to have my wallet in my back pocket, do you want me to look for it inside the car or just tell yo my info"

Astute, you may not have read my posts on this forum, but I think you'll find I'm one of the LEO in this country that supports the 2A, right to carry, and was a Texas CHL before I went into LE. So don't think for a second that I'm one of the 'only cops should have guns' or anything of the sort. But your attack in your post of officers who would draw on someone in this situation is insulting and uneducated. Maybe you'd understand if you were in our shoes. I don't agree with the unions/groups/higher-ups in agencies that are saying LEOs are more threatened now...read my first post in this thread. But I also don't agree with statements like you made above.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

we can't take chances on this situation by assuming they are a CHL and everything is just fine.....thats how cops get killed and I'm going home at the end of my shift
    THIS attitude is EXACTLY why I don't notify...ever. I don't want to be treated like a criminal because of the criminal exploits of people that I don't even know that live their entire lives on the wrong side of the law.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    THIS attitude is EXACTLY why I don't notify...ever. I don't want to be treated like a criminal because of the criminal exploits of people that I don't even know that live their entire lives on the wrong side of the law.
    but what you're referring to is different than what I was replying to

in my post you quoted I was responding to a gun in plain sight as I walked up to the window on a traffic stop
    You're talking about informing the LEO when you give him your DL/insurance/etc...2 completely different scenarios, one informing when talking to the officer and giving ID and the other have a gun in sight as I come to the window

I've only stopped on CHL holder and no gun in sight, gave me his chl even though he didn't have his gun with me, we talked about guns and stuff for a couple of minutes and everything was fine
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links