May move from FL to NC - what is NC like for CC?

May move from FL to NC - what is NC like for CC?

This is a discussion on May move from FL to NC - what is NC like for CC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How is NC as far as CCW? Thanks!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May move from FL to NC - what is NC like for CC?

Question May move from FL to NC - what is NC like for CC?

How is NC as far as CCW?

Thanks!
    Regards,

Dean

No carry allowed in any place where alcohol is sold and consumed - bars and most restaurants. No carry in schools, government buildings, post offices, or banks. Must inform officer when stopped. Read the fine print of the law before carrying.

I've heard there are a lot of 'No Firearms Allowed' signs in the big cities, but here in northeastern NC, I could not show you even a single one.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

There are some "off limits" businesses in the larger cities, but overall it's not really that bad.

You can carry concealed in 33 other states with a NC permit.

If stopped or approached by a law officer in NC, you are required to inform him that you have a concealed carry permit and a firearm in your possession.

The permit (which has no photo) and a photo ID (preferably driver's license) must be in your possession at all times when you're carrying a firearm.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Lead Moderator
    No carry anyplace you have to pay an admission fee. (Think I've got that one right.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    There are some spots (banks) where you can OC but not CC. I've only seen one "no carry" sign and it was at a jewelry store. No carry at all in hospitals, places where alcohols is bought and consumed, school, government buildings, etc. NC is a must inform state, but honestly I think most LEOs are pretty cool about it here. There is no gun registry in NC but you do need a permit to purchase a handgun from your local Sheriff OR you can use your CCWP as a purchase permit. Yeah, I don't get that either, but there you go.

Well, early WELCOME if you do decide to move here! :) What area are you looking at?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Sounds mostly like FL laws with big exception to must inform and banks not allowed.

What about state parks? It's OK here to carry in a state park- is NC ok with that?

It's not a choice to move- simply cannot find jobs here...at all.

I'd be staying with my Father in Edenton, NC and from there- not sure. Seems like he lives in an area I'd want CCW.

I may end up in Virgina.

Wherever I can find a full time job first.
    Regards,

Dean

Smile

The current process of the CC license is run by the local sheriff. Your application time varies widely from county to county, mostly depending on population. You have to take a state mandated 8 hour course which includes shooting although I don't know how they would handle a transfer. And as mentioned above, there are many places that you cannot carry which is a sham! But, we are trying to get some things changed which is being hampered by some liberal legislators.

Armydad

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    There is no gun registry in NC but you do need a permit to purchase a handgun from your local Sheriff OR you can use your CCWP as a purchase permit. Yeah, I don't get that either, but there you go.
    It is a old Jim Crow law meant to give the sheriff an ability to keep blacks from owning a gun.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    It is a old Jim Crow law meant to give the sheriff an ability to keep blacks from owning a gun.
    Well that's just stupid. They ought to do away with it then.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I thought NC also had public gathering language on their books?

I visited there last weekend (RDU) and I tell you what. I couldn't wait to get back to Georgia. Way too many dang on rules with respect to concealed carry for my liking.

I think the rules for FL are much easier to live with personally.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Dean407 View Post
    Sounds mostly like FL laws with big exception to must inform and banks not allowed.

What about state parks? It's OK here to carry in a state park- is NC ok with that?

It's not a choice to move- simply cannot find jobs here...at all.

I'd be staying with my Father in Edenton, NC and from there- not sure. Seems like he lives in an area I'd want CCW.

I may end up in Virgina.

Wherever I can find a full time job first.
    North Carolina is not awful, but it is one of the less gun friendly states in the south. There are a lot of places that are off limits to CC. On the whole, Virginia is much more gun friendly and has a much shorter list of prohibited places. NC permits are valid in a lot more states than VA permits though.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Thanks for the replies.

Is there no recognition of my FL CCW in NC?
    Regards,

Dean

Your Flordia permit is recognized in NC as long as it is a resident permit. You can check out all of the laws on NC at this link. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

One of the important but unstated things to consider is that NC does not have a true "castle doctrine" law in effect so tread carefully even in your own home.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Handgun permit laws are common in non-Southern states where Jim Crow laws never existed, and that have negligible Black populations.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    No carry anyplace you have to pay an admission fee. (Think I've got that one right.)
    I don't really understand this one--I can't carry into movie theaters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    There are some spots (banks) where you can OC but not CC. I've only seen one "no carry" sign and it was at a jewelry store. No carry at all in hospitals, places where alcohols is bought and consumed, school, government buildings, etc. NC is a must inform state, but honestly I think most LEOs are pretty cool about it here. There is no gun registry in NC but you do need a permit to purchase a handgun from your local Sheriff OR you can use your CCWP as a purchase permit. Yeah, I don't get that either, but there you go.

Well, early WELCOME if you do decide to move here! :) What area are you looking at?

Bunny, where is the one about hospitals? I've not seen that one anywhere, though the hospital I'm going to be working in a lot soon does have it posted for no carry.
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links