Taking an out of state roadtrip

This is a discussion on Taking an out of state roadtrip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just found out yesterday that I got volunteered by my sister to help her friend move. I will be traveling from Springfield, MO ...

Thread: Taking an out of state roadtrip

Taking an out of state roadtrip

So I just found out yesterday that I got volunteered by my sister to help her friend move. I will be traveling from Springfield, MO to Fort Campbell, KY.

I have preformed a few searches on here and also looked at handgunlaw, i'm wondering if anyone can direct me towards a site where I can see the no carry signs for kentucky and tennessee. Also if there is any other information I sould know that would be helpful.

Thanks

J man
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

2. Remove Ads

Try Handgunlaw.us for information.

Hmmm... I'm thinking he already tried Handgunlaw.us since he said he did in his post.

Btw... J Man, I got a case and locks for you as well as the holster you need so call me when you get off work.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Try this as a general set of rules for the great bluegrass commonwealth:

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

* Police station or sheriff's office.
    * Detention facility, prison or jail.
    * Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
    * County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
    * Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
    * General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
    * Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
    * Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
    * Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
    * Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
    * Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

Also, KRS 527.070 prohibits unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions. KRS 244.125 prohibits loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

if you are actually going onto FT Campbell you may have a problem

Military posts are usually No Go for Weapons
    (other than their own of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Got that covered... He's going to have it locked up off site when he gets to Ft. Campbell. I'm loaning him a hard case and locks for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmith View Post
    if you are actually going onto FT Campbell you may have a problem

Military posts are usually No Go for Weapons
    (other than their own of course)
    Got that covered... He's going to have it locked up off site when he gets to Ft. Campbell. I'm loaning him a hard case and locks for that purpose.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Hmmm... I'm thinking he already tried Handgunlaw.us since he said he did in his post.

Btw... J Man, I got a case and locks for you as well as the holster you need so call me when you get off work.
    My bad. I thought I heard someone outside and was distracted. I had to clear the area.

Why not try the Attorney General's site for each state you will be traveling through?

Are you going thru Illinois? No carry here. Unloaded and encased.

I already know that my two minute drive through ill-annoy I will have to disarm and case up the firearm. Also this will be off base housing that we are going to so actually going onto the base will not be an issue.

More specifically, my question was concerning a location to look for the posting requirements if there are any. I am asking this because in Missouri the legal sign must be 11.5" x14" with letters no less than one inch. I am wondering if Kentucky will have requirements like this or if the international symbol will be legal ect.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

Here's all the info you'll need...
    Check the upper left corner of the site...second map down (Info by State).
    USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    J Man,

Why would you want to carry into any place that has a No Guns Sign Posted? If there were posting sign requirements and a sign did not meet those requirements there is a good possibility if found with the firearm you could be arrested and given your day in court. Just because the sign may not be legal you would still have to hire an attorney. Spend your hard earned money to pay them. While all of this is going on you could lose your permit from your home state because of the charges even if later they are thrown out. Then you have to go through the process of getting it back.

Look what happened to the man in PA who was legally carrying his firearm openly. The law allows it. He still stood trial and the Jury found him Not Guilty. He had assistance from organizations that paid some of his legal bills but look at what he had to go through. Never forget you can be arrested and given your day in court just like this guy even if you are innocent. Why take the chance. If they have a sign don't go there. Don't spend your money there. Spend your hard earned money in places that welcome you. There are lots more places that welcome you than say to keep out.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

J man -- Found this on the Kentucky State Police web site:
    In addition, Kentucky law does not prohibit the owners of private premises from excluding persons carrying firearms. Failure to vacate private premises when asked to do so could result in a criminal trespass charge.
    While I can find nothing about "official" signage, the quote above makes it appear that their law is very similar to MO.

Gary -- while I normally agree with your position, there are times when you have no choice. The nursing home my Mother is in is one example, hospitals are another. While neither of these are automatic in Kansas since passage of HB2528, I've never seen one in my area that wasn't posted.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

cvhoss,

I will never tell anyone to break the law. Just remember that when you break the law if caught you will be the one to pay the consequences. Think about the consequences before you break a law. Are you willing to pay those consequences? They can be very steep.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    cvhoss,

I will never tell anyone to break the law. Just remember that when you break the law if caught you will be the one to pay the consequences. Think about the consequences before you break a law. Are you willing to pay those consequences? They can be very steep.
    Gary -- I may have not made my point clear. I'm NOT advocating anyone break the law. On the contrary, I've advocating knowing the law so you don't inadvertently break it. This is from your site's synopsis of MO law:
    Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions 1) to (17) of subsection 20 of this section by any individual who holds concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to this section shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises.
    The quote I provided from the Kentucky State Police indicates that Kentucky law is much like MO. In KS, we're not so lucky. Walking past a gun-buster sign is an immediate crime and when I'm confronted with one in a place I have no choice about going to, I disarm. If I have a choice, I take my business elsewhere.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

cvhoss,

What I don't like about chat forums is that the written word doesn't contain the voice inflection and body language that a conversation has.
    When I said I would never tell anyone to break the law I wasn't aiming that at anyone. I was just making a statement that I would never tell anyone to break the law. Have I ever gone into a place that had signs posted. I will take the 5th on that.

What I tried to convey was that to many times we don't think of the consequences until after the fact. We have to be ready to face the consequences when we push the envelope or break the law.

You are very correct that in some states even with a sign all they can do is ask you to leave. WV is that way. But other states as pointed out make you an instant felon if caught if you go by a NO guns sign.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Links