I'm still trying to understand cc concepts....

This is a discussion on I'm still trying to understand cc concepts.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for your wisdom. I do dress properly. Even though I have a SuperTuck I wear very loose and extra large, outside the pants shirts. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm still trying to understand cc concepts....

Thanks for your wisdom. I do dress properly. Even though I have a SuperTuck I wear very loose and extra large, outside the pants shirts. I have to believe that, dressed that way, and using a PT 745 in a Crossbreed IWB holster, I tend to "show" no "more" or "less" than the majority of those who cc.

2. Remove Ads

If the 'good guys' don't know I'm carrying - what they don't know won't hurt them;
    If the 'bad guys' don't know I'm carrying - what they don't know may put a big hurt on them;
    If 'nobody' knows I'm carrying - what only I know gives me the advantage.

Bobo

As far as legality...
    In VA open carry is legal without any registration, license, permit, or any OK from the government. So, if you are carrying concealed and for some reason your gun shows, you are just open carrying - perfectly legal.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Is the goal to, 100% of the time, have NO ONE realize your cc? If so, what is the negative to having a "wise" and "observant" or "knowing" person (say 1 in every 300 people) realize you are cc?
    Well there's no harm unless the 300th person is a nervous cop.

I've been spotted i think a few times. One I know because the guy behind me said as I was walking into a store: "You're showing" - with a broad hint type of voice. I assured him it was legal. He assumed it was and seemed amused by it all.

But you can't depend on that.

For me, I'm older, and don't look like your average BG. So, I think if someone has spotted it in the past, they think I'm a cop. But I try to always cover well and check myself in the mirror before I go out. It's an unknown variable if you're spotted so I wouldn't take it lightly.

==> Is the goal to, 100% of the time, have NO ONE realize your cc?

My goal is, 100% of the time, to *have* a weapon and be able to deploy it in time when it's needed.

I don't particularly care who realizes I'm carrying, as long as I'm able to use it when I need it.

If you really want to understand, go to the open carry forum and read of all the headaches, LEO harassment, and garbage that the open carry people go through(and some love the attention). Then you'll understand why CC is the way to go. There is currently another thread running about a guy who told everyone that he carries and it got around to his boss because loose lips sink ships...now he is worried about his job. No up side to the OC, unless you buy into the deterrent angle and constantly want to educate the public...but it appears to be a major headache and a lifestyle choice that will really define you(for better worse) to a LOT of people.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

What is the effect of accidental open carry in Texas

What are the legal ramifications in Texas for either printing or your gun flashing because your shirt rode up or your jacket blew back, etc? Or, God forbid, your gun slipping loose? (I do plan on using a good holster).
    Last edited by CJ810; September 10th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Punctuation, OCD ;-)

Conceal it well...then 1 in 30,000 may not know. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    My goal is concealed 100% of the time maintaining a tactical advantage though it's not entirely possible, as few people knowing as possible but the cat's already out of the bag with some and to the best of my ability to NEVER have to use my weapon.

It's an individual thing as you can see from the replies to your thread but to some extent, we really all do agree on the basic principles of being aware and prepared.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

For me I don't care if you can see something if you are looking for it, or if my shirt rides up for a second getting out of the truck, I just try to avoid being so obvious that I get made by sheep that aren't looking.

You should always try to conceal 110% of the time . But given any situation, a fellow CC holder might just notice that little give away that you are CC , and you might not even be aware of it .
    I might not be playing with a full deck !!!
    But I am playing with a full clip ......
    gunnut2u

My plan is to conceal 100% of the time and no one will call 911 with the dreaded "man with gun" call. Even your behavior can give you away. You need to learn not to fidget with your stuff. I carry a 1911 GSR 4" .45 ACP without any lumps or printing. I use an MTAC (built for a 4" 1911 NOT the perfect fit) and it works very well. The key is getting a thin automatic. Single stack pistols work best, I also have a P229 .40 S&W that carries 12 RDS. It is harder to carry without a lump. It can be done. Ask the Feds they tend to carry P229s esp sky-cops. They don't print, but once again it is subtle habits that mean the most. Making sure you reach with the correct hand, tuck-able holsters, not clanging against the back of the booth at Outback, etc.

I don't think that total concealment is too great of a goal. It has really become the norm!

I alway think about how our society has so completely turned around from a century or so ago. At that time only the scoundrels would conceal a weapon; a small pocket for a derringer, etc. Everyone else carried one openly and it was no big deal.

Now, concealed (and I mean completely) is the norm. I tried open carry one time and I felt like I had a neon arrow pointing to me. I was defensive about anyone saying anything about it (no one did), but I was ready!!

The real combination is what fits you the best, that is weapon, holster and outer wear. It is very subjective from person to person, but it is critically important to be completely concealed in this day and age!

Bill
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

I try to keep my gun completely concealed so that no one knows Im carrying.
    Occasionally my shirt moves up and someone sees it.
    We went out for lunch a couple weeks ago and as im pulling my wallet out my shirt came up with it and completely exposed my entirel holster and gun. The waitress looked right at it and didnt even flinch. Gave us our food and didnt seem to think about it one way or another.

My Alabama permit specifically states that it is not a permit to carry a gun openly. The legality of OC in Alabama appears to be somewhat ambiguous, but my sheriff chose to put those words on the permits.

I carry a Hi-Power in an MTAC, sometimes tucked, sometimes not. I choose not to make issue of the fact that I carry, mostly because I don't want my being a "gun person" to automatically typify my relationships with people. I've told a couple of friends, for various reasons, and a couple more are probably perceptive enough to have figured it out, but haven't said anything. That tells me that if they have figured it out, they get it and respect what I'm doing.

Many I encounter daily would probably be surprised that I carry. If they weren't bothered by the idea, they'd still have questions I'd get tired of answering over and over again, misconceptions I'd have to fight off, etc. I've built a mindset around self-defense, not an identity, and evangelizing CC is not one of my goals.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post

I understand that for lawful purposes the gun most totally be concealed. But is the "intent" of the law that no one even suspect?

Thanks in advance for you insight.
    In response to all of your post earlier, in a state such as Colorado (and Washington where I am), the level of concealment that you choose to hold yourself to is up to you. I don't understand your statement made quoted above. In Colorado, except in Denver, there is no legal requirement to conceal your firearm. The intent of the law is to ALLOW you to conceal, not to FORCE you to conceal. Since Colorado has no law against open carry, there is no grey area between CARRYING concealed or open carry that is illegal.

Brandishing the firearm in a threatening manner is illegal but not carrying the firearm in a holster whether visible or not. Or, if you intentionally flash your firearm in a situation which could be considered as a threat, that would be illegal as well.

Can you tell I am an open carrier?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links