I'm still trying to understand cc concepts....

This is a discussion on I'm still trying to understand cc concepts.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK. I got my ccp and I've been cc now for a couple of months. The number one goal is protection. That is obvious. But... ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm still trying to understand cc concepts....

OK. I got my ccp and I've been cc now for a couple of months. The number one goal is protection. That is obvious.

But... I'm still somewhat in the dark about the concealment goals of carrying.

Is the goal to, 100% of the time, have NO ONE realize your cc? If so, what is the negative to having a "wise" and "observant" or "knowing" person (say 1 in every 300 people) realize you are cc?

Is the goal of cc to 1.) not even have someone notice a "lump" under your shirt, 2.) to have them think you have a phone or similar object, or 3.) to think "That's most likely a gun but I can be 100% sure?"

I understand that for lawful purposes the gun most totally be concealed. But is the "intent" of the law that no one even suspect?

Thanks in advance for you insight.

Goals differ for different people in different places. If you're carrying at a job that will fire you if they find out, then yes -- you'd better not even make people wonder if there's a bulge. If you're in an open carry state where people are very tolerant, then it may not matter if the gun is exposed when your cover garment blows open.

You have to figure out what level of risk is appropriate for your environment, and then conceal accordingly. I personally carry an LCP in a wallet-shaped pocket holster, because my family and friends would panic if they knew I had a gun.

Nonetheless, I still don't carry at my university, because my risk assessment is that getting kicked out of school is a higher risk than needing the gun at school.

If getting caught would cause huge problems for you, then be careful. If not, just make sure you stay legal.

I agree with dnowell. The goal of each carrier differs. Me personally I carry in hopes that nobody has an idea that I carry. My philosophy is the less that know I carry the better off I am.
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed. -Winston Churchill-

One's goal is entirely personal. It is subject to your lifestyle, family, vocation, etc.
    I would say that the closer you are to 100% concealment, the closer you are to 100% tactical surprise advantage. There are so many variables, but this forum is the place to vet them, for sure.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I conceal well because I don't want to deal with the conflict that may follow if somebody spots my gun.

IMO, the intent of the law is the gun be concealed - that is, hidden from view. What someone IMAGINES they see under your coat, vest, or shirt is just that, imagination. A lump or bulge that is not identifiable as a"gun" shape could be any type of belt-hung electronic/storage device.

The "lawful intent" will vary from state to state. In SC, "printing" is acceptable as long as the shape is not readily, positively identifiable as a gun.

I believe it comes under the same clause as a criminal trial. The "jury" must be "sure beyond any reasonable doubt". This puts a LOT of responsibility on someone seeing a bulge and screaming "GUN!".

There are advantages to concealment and advantages to open carry, too. The main advantage to concealment is surprise. The main advantage to open carry is determent.

Out of 10 people who THINK they see a gun under your shirt - 8 will assume you're some type of LEO, 1 will be a BG who suddenly decides this isn't the day to rob the 7-11, and 1 will be another carrier who will smile to themselves and think, "I am not alone".

Occasionally, you will run into the self-important busybody who thinks their wishes are the law of the land. If possible, ignore them. If they continue to harass you, call the store manager or the police. If they call the police, show your permit to the responding officers, calmly explain the situation, and follow their instructions. If you're carrying legally, you'll be ok. The officer may ask you to remove your weapon to defuse the situation, but IMO, I don't think you'd be required to do so.

I'm not a lawyer, but I've never played one on TV, either. My opinions are just that - opinions.

I hope this helps.

I would think that the term "concealed carry" is self explanatory.
    Your weapon should be hidden so that it cannot be identified and will not bring undo attention to you. Treat it like any other secret - you don't even give hints if you don't want anyone to find out. Also, properly concealing your weapon can give you the element of surprise should you ever need to use it.

So, yes, the intent of the law is that no one suspect you are armed.
    Besides, why would you want them to? And what is the positive to having anyone realize you are carrying, even if it's just 1 out of 300?
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    So, yes, the intent of the law is that no one suspect you are armed.
    Besides, why would you want them to? And what is the positive to having anyone realize you are carrying, even if it's just 1 out of 300?
    Thanks to all for the responses... To answer the questions posed above..

I would NOT want anyone to suspect. My question is based on practicality. I could carry a small .22 .25 .380 or such in a pocket. But I choose to carry something with more stopping power. I carry a Taurus Millineum Pro 745 in a Crossbreed Holster. So just by size of the gun, there is going to be at least a small "bump" on the side. So, to me, the "positive" of taking a chance that 1 of 300 will ID you is the difference between a .22 pocket gun and a .45 acp. Hope that explains my thinking.

I'm in SW Colorado by the way so guns here are a way of life. If half the people ID'ed you it wouldn't matter. But that does not preclude me from desiring more information and insight on cc. Heck, you could easily OC around here and see no "raised eyebrows" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    OK. I got my ccp and I've been cc now for a couple of months. The number one goal is protection. That is obvious.

Is the goal to, 100% of the time, have NO ONE realize your cc? If so, what is the negative to having a "wise" and "observant" or "knowing" person (say 1 in every 300 people) realize you are cc?

Most likely you will encounter that "wise and observant or knowing" person at some point in time. Nevertheless, you should make every effort to let no one know you are carrying. It's tactically wise to do so and the mark of a seasoned pro. That being said, you can relax a bit knowing that most people, lost in their own thoughts are not checking you out anyway.

Is the goal to, 100% of the time, have NO ONE realize your cc?
    Bingo! It's your secret weapon against the scum of the Earth that prey on their fellow man. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

cj
    Woah! Someone ELSE in SW Colorado? We may have to meet up at some point!

So what happens if someone spots you? The typical worst is a visit from the police responding to a 'guy with a gun' call. I'm pretty sure the intent of 'concealed means concealed' laws is to prevent the panic that leads to this type of call, and to imply that brandishing is frowned upon.

My personal goal is to have it with me...due to my lifestyle, that means an LCP in my front pocket. There are SOME places where I also don't want to be spotted, and at the moment the pocket option works just fine for me, but most others I know (or suspect) carry in this area carry IWB, or even OWB with a vest. As you pointed out, even the open carriers in this area I've spotted haven't raised an eyebrow...but it's also likely that the majority of people never noticed: most people just don't think to look.

I'm in SW Colorado by the way so guns here are a way of life. If half the people ID'ed you it wouldn't matter. .
    SW Colorado as in Durango Cortez area?

Cortez - Came here last December from coast of NC. Talk about culture shock.....

It varies. In FL, I am almost certain the idea is not to scare away tourists. Concealed is concealed; once you get used to carrying it and begin to 'dress around the gun' in bigger clothes, the .45 will find a place to ride comfortably without showing a bulge.

Is the goal of cc to 1.) not even have someone notice a "lump" under your shirt, 2.) to have them think you have a phone or similar object, or 3.) to think "That's most likely a gun but I can be 100% sure?"

I understand that for lawful purposes the gun most totally be concealed. But is the "intent" of the law that no one even suspect?

Thanks in advance for you insight.
    I am now 72 years old and have been carrying concealed for a long, long time. I have picked up some experience and, in turn, some pretty straightforward attitudes and practices which I'll try to pass along.

For me the only purpose for concealed carry is self protection and protection for those closest to me. I have lived in large towns and small towns and the rumor mill operates pretty much the same way everywhere you go. Tell one person (even someone close to you) and you have also told a lot of others. People do talk and they often talk about other folks's business. I don't want others to know that I carry!! It is none of their business and can (and has) put me at a disadvantage. I did not want my boss to know I carried. I did not want my minister to know I carried. I did not want my colleagues (particularly some of the gossipy ones) to know. Only my closest family ever knew I carried - and nobody else, ever. Nothing prevents the "wise" or "knowing" person from inadervtently sharing your business. Even at 72 I still adhere to that principal.

Concealed means concealed. It is up to the one carrying to see that the gun is 100% concealed 100% of the time. An axiom often quoted in concealed carry circles is that you must "dress for the gun"! Do whatever you must do to achieve an effective carry situation. No lumps, or bumps, or anything that give an observer the idea that you might be carrying. It is not impossible but it takes some thinking and planning and then dressing accordingly. As I said, been carrying for a long,long time and I have never been visually made. Note that I say "visually"! Lord deliver me from "huggy" people.

I raised this very question with my local district attorney (a 2nd ammendment advocate) and his answer was the previously quoted "concealed means concealed". He averred that part of an effective concealed carry strategy is that your potential adversary never even suspect that you carry. He then raised the question, "Why would a concealed carry weapons carrier ever want anybody to know that he carries"? Makes absolutely no sense!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links