Where Your CCW Points? - Page 2

Where Your CCW Points?

This is a discussion on Where Your CCW Points? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Small point Wayne, thinking of electrostatic possibilities. I don't think in fact that is likely - high voltage sure but no current to speak of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Assistant Administrator
    Small point Wayne, thinking of electrostatic possibilities.

I don't think in fact that is likely - high voltage sure but no current to speak of and no temperature aspect.

If we look at the methodology in the Mythbuster's deal, it was using a live round as a fuse bridging device but cranking up the current flow so high that it was simply high temp that made it cook off.! They had to pull major amps in the end.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Post Ditto: Common Sense

I carry in a horizontal shoulder rig & I have since before some of our forum members were born. I have never had a negligent discharge. Not even close.

Hate to break the ol' news to you but, if you carry at the waist in a canted holster & you N.D. ~ you're near as likely to plug somebody with a ricochet off any hard surface.
    You also are covering the heads of everybody walking around below you...if you are walking around on an above or upper floor.

The secret is a properly functioning high quality firearm in a good high quality holster.
    You holster your doggone firearm safely & you leave it alone unless you need to use it.

Sorry to hafta give you this other news, but, high quality handguns do not discharge all by themselves.
    Embarrassed people who have a Negligent Discharge tend to tell big "blame shifting" lies but, handguns just do not spontaneously go off.

It's important for a shooter to understand the inner workings of their firearm fire & safety system.
    All MODERN top quality handguns are safe to carry loaded.

No matter what exact or specific body location you choose to carry at...it's important that you properly holster your properly functioning firearm & then LEAVE IT ALONE.
    If you follow that advice you'll do just fine in a shoulder rig or any other good quality holster.

You can tie that "Static Electricity Bull" up outside too.
    It just is not going to happen.

Now...if you get hit by a Lightning Strike...maybe...but, then you'll have other problems to worry about.

You need to select a high quality firearm...you need to understand your firearm...you need to practice with your "carry firearm" until it becomes a part of you...you need to always holster & de~holster in a known safe direction & you need to know how not to fidget with your weapon.

You need to understand and respect your "carry firearm" but, you should not ever be afraid of it.
    There is a huge difference.

VIP Member
    Yeah, it's something I think about. I thought it through before deciding where to mount the bedroom pistol safe and the gunsafe. It's something I think about when I'm carrying.

I went to a gunshow this weekend and was checking scopes mounted on plastic replicas and even then I was still very concious of where the plastic muzzles were pointing.

I'm with you Josh. It's something of which I'm always cognizant.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I would say better to be more cautious than less. More cautious never hurt anyone with regards to where the firearm is pointed.
    Blinky

Dalai Lama - May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times

While firearms as a rule don't go off by themselves, a mechanical problem can cause a discharge when you least expect it. This is even more likely in a cheapo handgun where quality control may be sacrificed. For example the first Norinco (Chinese made) 1911 .45 auto I ever inspected had a very interesting mechanical flaw. When it was cocked and locked a small amount of jiggling or a bump to the trigger would cause the hammer to come free of the sear. Then, as soon as the safety was flipped off, the hammer would drop.

Needless to say, if such a flaw wasn't noticed it could seriously ruin your whole day. or or

It probably isn't the best idea to assume that a firearm is always in 100% safe operating condition. Inspect them once in a while and you may avoid a nasty surprise.
    "Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." -- Winston Churchill

Administrator
    That's exactly why you can count the number of Norcs that I own on the number of toes that are on my left hand.
    Norinco 1911s are great base guns for the frame & the slide but, I would not carry one for self~defense with the original Chinese internals. Just my opinion on that.

Senior Moderator
    Some great points guys. We do have to trust mechanical integrity. We drive a mechanical contrivance 70 mph down the road at night and trust the machine.

If we couldn't trust mechanical integrity of our gun we couldn't carry them at all. QK makes a great point about this. He doesn't trust a gun and doesn't carry it.

If we carry a gun it's highly likely the muzzle is gonna cover some part of us or somebody else sometimes.

As mm said, ...unless you get a finger or some kind of "finger substitute" ON the trigger, no well-designed modern firearm is going to shoot.". Which leads to what Tom357 said, "...I do worry about an ND when I draw or handle it,..." to which I would add or re-holster the gun.

But in the holster, I trust the mechanical integrity of all the guns I carry and don't have concern one about a discharge.

If we follow the 4 rules, then there shouldn't be an issue. As many have said here in this post, guns just don't "go off" by themselves. I trust my CCW to go off ONLY when my finger pulls the trigger. In that manner, I always try to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when I am handling, finger off the trigger of course. When my gun is holstered, whether on my belt or not, I have complete faith that it will not hurt me or anyone else.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Administrator

The various safety/fire systems.

A SIG that has been decocked simply cannot go off by itself...actually even if it's cocked it can't discharge all by itself.

A Glock cannot spontaneously discharge since the striker is not fully cocked until the trigger is pulled completely back to release.

A Colt 1911 cannot do it's own thing either...not to even mention the Colts that have the added FP Block parts.

Walther...perfectly safe.

HK ~ No Problems.

Ruger...same.

I could go on & on...I can't think of any quality handguns that are inherently unsafe.

The ultra cheapo striker fired Zinc Die Cast Sat Nite Special semi~auto pistols...I sure would never carry or trust.

Good topic. We moved into our new home a few months ago, and honestly there is NO cover in this house. I am very conscious, when gearing up in the upstairs bedroom, that I know where the wife is downstairs so that even if I ND no one will be hurt. This floor simply will not stop a bullet.

P.S. I've not even handled a pair of Thunderwear so I'm not qualified to say anything positive or negative about it, except that, were I single, I might consider it
    I haven't used Thunderwear but SmartCarry does not point the muzzle at any body parts. You cover yourself more with an IWB (which I use) than with SmartCarry.

Lead Moderator
    unless the gun is in a holster , its in a safe. Occasionally it sits on the desk, while I type, but always in a safe direction. I don't really worry about it going off by itself. I am more concerned with me accidently discharging it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    This is to address the original post; I am not venturing into the area of Untouched Firing Occurrences (UFOs )

My reasoning is that the safety rule "don't point a firearm at something you are not prepared to destroy" applies to a firearm in the hand. This rule does not apply to a properly secured firearm, either in a holster with the trigger guard completely enclosed, or locked in a safe---obviously a firearm must point somewhere all the time.

"My reasoning is that the safety rule "don't point a firearm at something you are not prepared to destroy" applies to a firearm in the hand. This rule does not apply to a properly secured firearm..."

Ditto!! A very good point that up to now has not been mentioned. As several other posters pointed out, "If we carry a gun it's highly likely the muzzle is gonna cover some part of us or somebody else sometimes" and "obviously a firearm must point somewhere all the time."

Your gun should always be in a holster, properly secured or somewhere in-between one of the before mentioned conditions (in which case it should be in your hand) unless you are performing maintainence on it. I'll never say it can NEVER happen, but as long as your finger is not on the trigger, the chance of an accidental discharge with a modern, properly maintained firearm and good ammo is literally none. The problem is very rarely with the gun, but rather with the person handling it.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

OD*
    The problem is very rarely with the gun, but rather with the person handling it.
    Exactly! An inanimate object can neither think, nor act on it's own volition.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

CMG, first I am glad no one got hurt in your AD. However, the 1911 you had was probably very old and made up of parts from here and there secondly. The military was not as good about keeping good ammo on (fresh) as they are today. So, in my assumption that this was long ago being guys are lining up to be paid your ammo and pistol was probably old and needing retirement.

I think most people get a fear of the 1911 in condition 1 based on accounts like this where the person who is very competent as you are has come in contact with a weapon and ammo that was unserviceable at the time.

Now, just recently and out of complaceny I was getting ready to switch over to my .38 for some reason and realized that I had forgot to drop the magazine before taking the weapon off safety and ejecting the round. Man my eyes got big! This has never happended to me not even in the service. Well, I dumped the round mag and ejected the live round. Always, Always, Aways, think and fight against complacency because as I was taught by Uncle Sam complacency can get you or someone else killed. Respect your weapons and slow down when unloading and loading.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links