Should I tell my boss I CCW

This is a discussion on Should I tell my boss I CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you like to see a No Guns Allowed Policy? I'm being serious! If you want a No Guns Allowed Policy to be implemented in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I tell my boss I CCW

Would you like to see a No Guns Allowed Policy?

I'm being serious! If you want a No Guns Allowed Policy to be implemented in a place which does not have one presently... The best and quickest way to get one is to tell the boss, you want to carry your gun!

This should be a no brainer!

There currently is no policy of any kind regarding weapons at your small company and you feel obligated to share with the boss, and ask his permission about what should be considered your only ace in the hole (and biggest secret) when it comes to countering a deadly attack!

Ummm... I think you know the answer to that question by now.

BTW... does you boss go out with you on those late night service calls?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut2u View Post
    I work for a small company ,12 people, we do not have a co. policy on ccw . Should I tell me boss that I ccw ? I do ccw when at work . We are in the service industry so I am working on the streets at nite .
    I am the supervisor for the company and I feel I should tell my boss . On the other hand , my friends tell me I shouldn't say anything unless ask ! What do you think ???
    Absolutely do not tell anyone - ever!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

DON'T TELL!!!!
    If you do not have a policy, you are Golden. Do not initiate a discussion on the subject or you will find yourself using a lot of time explaining why you carry, Defending why it is not paranoia, talking about safety with children, asking permission to enter a house, disecting every gun related accident that has happened in the world since 1850 and how to avoid them, etc... and the next day, you will do it all over again.

Oh yes, and about 15 min after you tell your boss, there WILL be a NEW gun policy in the office and you are NOT going to like it.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

No policy, then no problem. It is better not to bring it up and stay concealed.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    A lot of times, a great deal of thought goes in to not having a policy. It may be by design that no concealed carry policy is currently in place. A lot of times, the boss will ignore an issue like this hoping it will not be brought up. If notified, plausible deny-ability is lost and the boss/company may be forced to have a policy. Often it may be a policy they do not want, but cannot avoid because of insurance or other reasons. I would not want to be the one to bring this up and thereby force your company to have a policy that they may not want.

Concealed means concealed. I take that to be out of sight and out of general conversations with those who do not conceal. I have been asked by those who do not need to know if I am carrying and I will look them right in the eye and say “no”. Now they can decide if I am telling the truth or a lie and I don’t care, for it is my business alone and none of theirs. So my answer is, if the boss doesn’t ask don’t tell and if the boss does ask I would still discern why before answering
    SA 1911 4" & 5"
    S&W M&Pc .40
    S&W 686
    S&W 36
    2X S&W 3913
    S&W99 .40

VIP Member
    Uno mas... DON'T ASK - DON'T TELL!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    A lot of times, a great deal of thought goes in to not having a policy. It may be by design that no concealed carry policy is currently in place. A lot of times, the boss will ignore an issue like this hoping it will not be brought up. If notified, plausible deny-ability is lost and the boss/company may be forced to have a policy. Often it may be a policy they do not want, but cannot avoid because of insurance or other reasons. I would not want to be the one to bring this up and thereby force your company to have a policy that they may not want.
    +1: this occurred to me as well.

It may be a bit like speeding past a cop: he knows you do it all the time, and that you are probably safe enough. But doing it right in front of him forces him to take notice and deal with it. I strongly suggest that you leave well enough alone. (If you've read Starship Troopers, remember the fellow who gave Zim the black eye and the trouble his big mouth got him into.)

And I would let others spread the self-defense gospel there - any discussion worth having will touch on concealed carry, and you may be asked a question you may not want to answer.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

The only person you should ever tell is a LEO!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

After the last new gun came out of the closet,

She: "How long have you had that?"
    Proud new gun owner: "A long time!"
    She: "How much did THAT cost?"
    Proud new gun owner: "It was on sale."
    (to be continued...)
    Now THAT'S what i'm talk'in bout, Wives do it all the time with everything else.!

Now if some thing should ever happen to my marriage of 22 yr.s, IF and WHEN I think about dating, I sure hope I can find the girl who hides more gun purchases from me, than me from her!!

NOOOO!!!!!!! DO NOOTTT EVVVER TELL IF NOT ASKED!!!

WASHINGTON DID’NT USE HIS RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH TO DEFEAT THE BRITISH, HE SHOT THEM

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent
    Last edited by oneshot; September 12th, 2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: add message

If you're gonna tell, dust your resume off first and be prepared to enter the job market.

You cannot control another person's actions. You may THINK you know how he'll respond, but is the gamble worth your job? Or worth getting an employee policy prohibiting guns put in place?

What can you gain by telling?

If you've got a burning desire to know the answer, but want some measure of protection, consider whether your company has a "suggestion box" type of thing. Submit a question for the next company meeting, then listen to the response if/when it's presented. Sort of a "chicken" way of doing it, but Grady's correct when he suggests you have no control over how folks are going to take it. Knee-jerk seems to be "in" with this sort of topic.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnut2u View Post
    I work for a small company ,12 people, we do not have a co. policy on ccw . Should I tell me boss that I ccw ? I do ccw when at work . We are in the service industry so I am working on the streets at nite .
    I am the supervisor for the company and I feel I should tell my boss . On the other hand , my friends tell me I shouldn't say anything unless ask ! What do you think ???
    "Should I tell my boss I CCW"

I think you knew the answer to this question before you asked it. Or you would have just did it...

"ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!" Thumper
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

I don't tell anyone anything about my personal involvement with guns or hunting on or off the job. It's no body's business about what you do personally, and it just gives another co-worker an excuse to have some unfounded bias about you, and make trouble for you. People love to talk and gossip about others.

I hunt and shoot, I work with 200 other people and I've not told anyone about my personal life. Like I said ....it's none of their freakin' business. Why blabber and be a braggart about your guns to other gun haters or those who may become gun haters? If you absolutely have to to talk to them about 'stuff '....talk to them about golf or football !! Get the stats from the sunday paper and use those for monday morning conversation. You wouldn't give out your SSN or credit card number openly ....... apply that concept to your gun collection also.
    Ohio Rusty ><>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links