clairification carrying gun across Il.

This is a discussion on clairification carrying gun across Il. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am going from missouri to tenn. i have at least i think i have looked but unable to find my answer. the way i ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clairification carrying gun across Il.

clairification carrying gun across Il.

i am going from missouri to tenn.
    i have at least i think i have looked but unable to find my answer.

the way i understand it... the FOID is for a resident of Ill.

nonresident does not have to have that so called FOID to transport across the state.
    just have it locked in case
    unloaded.

is this correct or am i missing something.... thanks for the help.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

2. Remove Ads

You have it right. The FOID enables Illinois residents to buy and sell firearms and ammo. It is not a permit to carry. However, you can purchase ammo in Illinois without a FOID card. You can just show them that you are not a resident of Illinois--you don't even have to show them your permit.

I keep my ammo and gun separated and locked up when going through Illinois. I have family who live in that state, so I cannot avoid going there.

When I go to Tennessee, I go through Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and then into Tennessee. As soon as I cross into Kentucky, I exercise my right to carry.

I don't believe that it has to be locked in a case, just in a case with the case closed and the ammunition removed from the gun and separate.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by doctorw View Post
    You have it right. The FOID enables Illinois residents to buy and sell firearms and ammo. It is not a permit to carry. However, you can purchase ammo in Illinois without a FOID card. You can just show them that you are not a resident of Illinois--you don't even have to show them your permit.

I keep my ammo and gun separated and locked up when going through Illinois. I have family who live in that state, so I cannot avoid going there.

When I go to Tennessee, I go through Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and then into Tennessee. As soon as I cross into Kentucky, I exercise my right to carry.
    yea when i go to nashville....... otherwise its different route when i go to memphis
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Man it must sux to live in Illinois or Wisconsin. To live under that kinda state control just don't make any sense in this day and age. For any state to deny your right to CC for self defense is ludicrous IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Drive fast and try not to stop for gas in that hole!
    Last edited by Scott; September 19th, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: removed profanity work around

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    Drive fast and try not to stop for gas in that hole!
    LOL!!!!!
    Last edited by Scott; September 19th, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: removed quote of profanity work around

On a more serious note; yes, you are correct that you do not need the FOID card. The gun must be enclosed in case, you can keep ammunition in the case so long as the firearm is unloaded. I personally leave my ammo in a bag seperate from the case, because I don't take it out of the mag, and I don't want any problems. In addition, the glove box does not count as a locked case. I travel through IL to see family in KY, I lock the pistol in one of the car safes and keep the magazine in a bag or suitcase.

Check out these links for more info:

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

720*ILCS*5/*Criminal Code of 1961.

Firearm Owner's Identification Information

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I don't believe that it has to be locked in a case, just in a case with the case closed and the ammunition removed from the gun and separate.
    Correct!

Gun in an enclosed "container" so that no part of the gun is visible. A zip up gun bag is acceptable. Magazines may be loaded and the storage of them for transport is NOT regulated as long as they are not IN the gun. Loaded mags may be in the same container as the gun, just not in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Man it must sux to live in Illinois or Wisconsin. To live under that kinda state control just don't make any sense in this day and age. For any state to deny your right to CC for self defense is ludicrous IMO.
    Yeah, it sucks pretty hard!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    I avoid Illannoying all together when I travel, but if you have to, better to unload and case it so you dont catch any heat.

Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post
    Correct!
    Gun in an enclosed "container" so that no part of the gun is visible. A zip up gun bag is acceptable. Magazines may be loaded and the storage of them for transport is NOT regulated as long as they are not IN the gun. Loaded mags may be in the same container as the gun, just not in the gun.

RXtion gave the correct answer.
    Unloaded and in a case.
    The case does not have to be locking but it has to have some type of method for securing it closed, ie, zipper, snap, buckle, tie, velcro, etc. The case has to completely enclose the gun with no portion of the gun outside the case.
    A case is defined by statute as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."
    Ammo can be in the same case as the gun. Mags can be loaded but just not inserted in the gun. Empty mags can be in the gun.
    You are correct concerning FOID. As a non-resident you are not required to have a FOID and you cannot get a FOID. FOID only applies to IL residents.
    183 FBINA

Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post
    Correct!

Yeah, it sucks pretty hard!
    Thank you for the clarification. I did not see it on the ISP webpage (may be there, I just didn't see it). I have never wanted to take chances in while passing through IL.

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    Thank you for the clarification. I did not see it on the ISP webpage (may be there, I just didn't see it). I have never wanted to take chances in while passing through IL.
    same here.... thanks for the info....
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

It is on the ISP website somewhere, though I am not sure how to actually find it. After doing a quick search of the ISP site I can't seem to find it readily accesible. However it is linked to on illinoiscarry.org.

Here is the link. I suggest you folks who travel through Illinois print this out and keep a copy in your vehicle. Many people in this state are ignorant of this law. I had a range master at the bass pro shop firing range in Gurnee IL tell me I couldn't have loaded magazines in the case with my gun and I'm sure many LEO don't know this as well.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Illinois law requires residents possessing ammunition have a valid FOID card. The location of ammunition being transported, including ammunition being transported in loaded magazines, is not regulated if the firearm is possessed or transported lawfully.

RXtion is batting 1000%. Got the right .pdf brochure.
    There's a link floating around the internet that is for the brochure that was printed in 1998. It's a bit different and no longer available but sometimes I'll see where people will refer to it.
    Here's a FAQ on the ISP's website that also answers your transportation questions.
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
    Before you get too worried about the non-resident question and the answer where it is "recommended" the firearm "Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state." That phrase was included so a person would be covered by the federal FOPA. It's not required by IL statute but is the wording from FOPA.
    183 FBINA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links