Non res. MA license

Non res. MA license

This is a discussion on Non res. MA license within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have re-applied for my MA Non res. CCW class A. There is a new procedure this year that you send in the application with ...

Thread: Non res. MA license

Non res. MA license

I have re-applied for my MA Non res. CCW class A. There is a new procedure this year that you send in the application with payment and then they contact you with a date to come in and finish the application( get your picture taken on an ID card.) Of course this new procedure is done on purpose to shun away Non residents from getting thier permits. BUt I dont live too far from the MA firearms board so I will continue to apply since I'm in MA alot. Has any one gone through this new process and how long did it take for them to contact you? I havnt heard anyting yet and My CCW expires in October. I believe by law that I get 90 days after expiration if my renewal application is in limbo. MA is terrible!

I have not heard about this! Can anyone confirm this, or shed anymore light on it? I travel to MA a decent amount as well and was intending on getting my Non-Res.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntHeavy View Post
    I have not heard about this! Can anyone confirm this, or shed anymore light on it? I travel to MA a decent amount as well and was intending on getting my Non-Res.
    From handgunlaw.us:

Beginning August 1st, 2009, all new and renewal non-resident temporary licenses to carry firearms (LTC) in Massachusetts will be issued through the Massachusetts Instant Record Check System (MIRCS). MIRCS is a computer based application used to manage, process and monitor firearms licensing statewide.
    What this means for applicants:

(1) Applicants will no longer be required to obtain fingerprints from their local police departments;
    (2) Applicants will no longer be required to obtain a passport size photograph;
    (3) An LTC will be issued on a wallet-sized, digitally printed, plastic card;
    (4) To complete the application process, all applicants will be required to appear in person at the following:

Firearms Records Bureau Criminal History Systems Board 200 Arlington Street, Chelsea, MA 02150

Any applicant who submits an application to the Firearms Records Bureau (FRB) after June 1st, 2009, will be contacted by FRB staff to set up an appointment for final LTC processing in Chelsea, MA.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

MA non res LTC

I have my appointment for Friday the 18th. My license expired on Sept 1st so it is not valid. I have not heard of the 90 day clause and I would not take any chances in MA. I am curious if my new expiration date will be the 18th or still the first thereby cheating me out of 2+ weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, they never called me for an appointment. I called every week beginning in August and this past Thursday the 10th they made me an appointment when I called. You may want to call them. I agree completely with what you said about MA. I'm glad I don't live any further away or I would not be able to renew.

Apppointment completed

I have completed my ppointment in MA for my LTC. They manually input the info from the written app. into the computer so they went through most of the questions again to verify. They also do a complete set of finger prints, electronically so there is no ink or mess and they ask you for your reason for wanting to carry because they cannot or did not input your written reason and choose to ask you in person. They take your picture directly into the PC and that's about it.

The guy I dealt with told me that he was not sure if they will require everyone to continue to appear in person in subsequent years or just continue to use the pic and fingerprints but everyone has to appear this first time.

Also, last thing. I did not receive my license right away because he said that the system was not setup to do it immediately yet but that in the future it would. Mine will come in the mail in a week. That is at least three weeks after my expiration date. He said that my new expiration date will reflect my new issue date so I will get my full year.

All in all not too horribly painful but I don't live too far so that made it easier. When I left the next guy was someone from NY which is a minimum 3 hour trip and possibly a lot more. Hope this helps.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I have it on good authority that NR permits do NOT get the 90 day grace period. The law changed a section of MGL that dealt with Resident permits only, the NR section of law was unchanged and (as I was told) thus the 90 day grace period isn't applicable to NRs.

Sponsored Links