Went to CCW class and guess what

This is a discussion on Went to CCW class and guess what within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by H8SPVMT I believe most states hold their instructors to a higher standard. One cannot become an instructor in Texas solely by reason ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Went to CCW class and guess what

Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    I believe most states hold their instructors to a higher standard.
    One cannot become an instructor in Texas solely by reason of being an LEO or othewise highly experienced. He must attend a week-long instructor school held by the Department of Public Safety to qualify to teach CHL classes.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

2. Remove Ads

Well I can tell you right now that they were probably lying about carrying off-duty. LEO's that don't carry off duty are just asking for a problem if a threat presents itself, especially since that badge places a huge bulls-eye on the officer.

The law enforcement proctection act allows them to carry anywhere, anytime, without question...that is until they break the law. I do know a new County Lt in my area that made the mistake of pursuing a vehicle off duty, had no credentials and no firearm, and his family with him at the time of the pursuit that could have easily been killed for his mistakes once the vehicle stopped.

2 things a LEO should never leave home without.
    1. Identification as a current certified/licensed LEO
    2. His/her firearm.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    My experience back in 2006 was great. It was in Knoxville and the instructor was a Knox County Deputy named Mike. Very nice guy and very helpful and informative.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

My class was great and the instructor was very very knowledgable. Now i'm getting ready to take a defensive shooting class where we will be using shoot and move, shoot/don't shoot, shooting from our backs, our knees, crouching etc. This will be my third class with him. First being the CHL class, the second being an "after deadly force class" and now this one coming up.

chris@concealedhandguncarry.com

www.concealedhandguncarry.com
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

I guess I was lucky. My CCW class was taught by Jerry and Kay Miculek at Bang Inc.. Good info and I really felt like I got something from it.

Jerry Miculek teaches concealed carry classes? That is amazing. You were pretty lucky.

State certified instructors, certified (approved) curriculum, mandated classroom hours, and generic qualifications. Some classes/instructors do the minimum state requirements, and some go beyond. I've seen a lot more classes and instructors spring up over the past couple of years. Some seem to turn them out every couple of weeks with smaller classes, some once a month with multiple instructors and larger classes. Some take it seriously, and some look at it as a profitable business. Choosing your class/instructor makes a lot of difference here. The costs of our state classes don't seem to vary much, and generally follow an average of approximately $10 per hour. Again...what you get out of the class mainly depends on your instructors and the curriculum. "Shall issue" is the term in our state, and when it comes to range time and 'qualifying', I've seen evidence that they mean exactly that (shall issue) no matter how many holes appear on a 12"x12" piece of paper out of 35 rounds shot. Sometimes the proficiency part may escape definition so long as shots fired go 'downrange'. I believe I attended one of the best classes available in my state at the time, and I got my money's worth out of it and more, and none of the instructors (3 total), attempted to lay out their personal or political agendas on the class.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    report to whoever supervises the instructors AFTER you've passed and received your ccw or various state issued permit and let them know the service was dissatisfactory.

Guy, that sounds like one crappy half a**ed class to me. If I were you, I would find out who regulated them for your state and file a complaint about your instructors and the job they did.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Not sure what state your in...but it sounds like you got screwed with that class.
    Not sure that filing a complaint would do any good, but I sure wouldn't recommend them to friends.

On second thought....I agree with those who say file a complaint. Seems to me if someone wants to teach that kind of class...they should at least believe in it. Sounds like they just wanted to get the money.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Sounded like a waste of time and money to me to receive that kind of information from a "city cop" instructor. My class was taught by a LE instructor who was aided by an Anchorage PD SWAT officer. The information given was very thorough and all but 2 people passed the range qualification. I was one of the three people who got the full 110 possible points from the range session, my Dad also being one too!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Why are they teaching a CWP course with that attitude? The retired 25-year veteran of a local agency who taught my course told us he ALWAYS carries. "Who knows when I'll meet someone I've arrested who isn't happy with me?" He was very pro-carry and pro-self defense for civilians. "We can't be everywhere."

As long as the class was legitimate and you passed, who cares that those two think? If you're carrying within the law, they can't tell you not to.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    Well I can tell you right now that they were probably lying about carrying off-duty. LEO's that don't carry off duty are just asking for a problem if a threat presents itself, especially since that badge places a huge bulls-eye on the officer.

The law enforcement proctection act allows them to carry anywhere, anytime, without question...that is until they break the law. I do know a new County Lt in my area that made the mistake of pursuing a vehicle off duty, had no credentials and no firearm, and his family with him at the time of the pursuit that could have easily been killed for his mistakes once the vehicle stopped.

2 things a LEO should never leave home without.
    1. Identification as a current certified/licensed LEO
    2. His/her firearm.
    I agree, but most of the LEOs that I personally know do not carry off-duty. Some have said that they just get tired of carrying. I don't understand it, but that is the case.

I would think that after they have been in LE for a few years they might have some BG that they have arrested after them, but so far they have not.

I think that LEO would have a much higher probability of attack than the average citizen. They are not encouraged to carry off duty, but told to be a good witness. It is my view that LEOs have a responsibility 24/7, but obviously their departments do not agree.

Regards,
    Jerry

Gotta say it...report these jokers, please. This kind needs to be weeded out, and the sooner the better.
    BTW, my instructor was a former Border Patrol agent from El Paso and was very, very good.

I'm glad you are satisfied with paying $125.00 for the piece of paper, but honestly you were cheated. I'd also write the certifying agency and tell them what happened. Instructors who teach that quality of course should not be able to put their names on any type of documentation....especially one you might need in court some day.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links