Went to CCW class and guess what

This is a discussion on Went to CCW class and guess what within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jcabin report to whoever supervises the instructors AFTER you've passed and received your ccw or various state issued permit and let them ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Went to CCW class and guess what

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    report to whoever supervises the instructors AFTER you've passed and received your ccw or various state issued permit and let them know the service was dissatisfactory.
    If this is an NRA certified class you need to report these bozo's to the NRA training division.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

2. Remove Ads

sounds like a couple of money hungry yahoos just offering a class to make some money.

while many may not like the NRA's approach to lobbying and legislation, the NRA has top notch creditably when it comes to testing and gun safety....

Since you were a paying customer and felt a bit ripped-off i suggest you let the state officials know about your experience. Write a well described letter noting instances where you felt these instructors were lacking. Be respectful, and tactful about the experience. And keep your friends from taking a class from these yahoos.

sounds like a couple of money hungry yahoos just offering a class to make some money.

while many may not like the NRA's approach to lobbying and legislation, the NRA has top notch creditably when it comes to testing and gun safety....

Since you were a paying customer and felt a bit ripped-off i suggest you let the state officials know about your experience. Write a well described letter noting instances where you felt these instructors were lacking. Be respectful, and tactful about the experience. And keep your friends from taking a class from these yahoos.

[QUOTE=JerryM;1297732]I agree, but most of the LEOs that I personally know do not carry off-duty. Some have said that they just get tired of carrying. I don't understand it, but that is the case...QUOTE]

Becoming complacent can be dangerous. If the off-duty ID LEO who aided the on-duty IA LEO in the Centennial Bridge shooting recently had not carried, maybe one or both would be dead now. If you don't carry to protect yourself, carry to protect your kid's father/mother, etc... or at least carry to help protect me!
    v/r,

Sheepdog Academy
    Helping to train those who protect and serve...
    www.SheepdogAcademy.com

my class

I thought my instructors were good. The legal part was taught by a DA. He was pro carry, and I bet he even carries, but he never did say. The gun safety was taught by a police officer whose family has taught MI State Police and Federal LEO for years.

We had two different police officers administer the range portion. Again all pro civilian carry. The range instructors were just that, They stated at the begining of the range time that they would stay as long as neccessay to make sure everyone knew how to safely handle and shoot their gun. They gave as much individual instruction as required. Everyone qualified, but I think that was because the instruction was top notch. I think we were required to fire 30 rounds minimum, and needed eight of of ten in the torso of target. They made sure everyone did better than that.

I would have felt cheated. When the wife and I took our class, the instructor had about 15 handguns out for familiarity. I had just taken my wife to the range the week before to help her get more familiar with shooting. She had done well.

Having owned several handguns for over 30 years with thousands of rounds fired, most of the firearms part of the class was directed towards the mrs.

In Utah, no live fire is required so the instructor suggested we visit a range soon. I explained that we just did that the week before, so he was happy.

It was a thorough class of about 4 and a half hours.

We have since done two live fire exercises together.

I had a very good class here in Texas. It lasted all day 8AM to 9PM including the range time. We were told that we had to do the same qualification range test as a LEO and I was shocked at the low level of accuracy that was required. The class was not boring and a lot of ground was covered. We were told that if we had to shoot someone "to make them stop" we would probably go to court but that was better than being hurt.

After reading all your replies I want to thank all of you. I fully intend on doing a lot of investigating into who qualified them. I will never recommend them to anyone I know and will make sure to report their butts to whoever I can that will have the horsepower to stop them. Again thanks to all who replied.
    Thomas Jefferson - “To George Washington, 1796: One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links