Went to CCW class and guess what

This is a discussion on Went to CCW class and guess what within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I went to my one day CCW class about two weeks ago and I guess I have to say it was interesting. To start ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Went to CCW class and guess what

Went to CCW class and guess what

Well I went to my one day CCW class about two weeks ago and I guess I have to say it was interesting. To start with the class was held at the local gun shop (which was no problem for me, saving 25$ in the process). I guess the problems started with the instructor saying that he was a city cop and his co-instructor/brother is a local cop. Now this in itself is no real problem to me but the way they went about the class kind of struck me as a couple of liberal cops who don't want others to carry. I may be way off base here but the class format went something like this, "If you draw your weapon for any reason you going to jail, not be detained but jail" Every few minutes they informed us that they never carry unless on duty. Now the city cop is a former city cop and "decided" to quit to take over the family business. Good for him but every time I would bring up a question about CCing and OCing all they would say is "Well I wouldn't do that because I don't want to be the guinea pig and end up in jail and press the court just to lose".
    I had asked the question about carrying in a mall. I didn't know if they considered that an entertainment facility but I guess not. But what about one with a theater attached to it. They told me not to carry there at all or I could be hauled off. Any way that was the speed of the class. Then we got to the NRA certified test. They both told us straight out the they don't agree the the NRA should be the convening authority for the test but the state does so they have to give the test. They gave it to us alright, answers and all. Everyone in the class got 100%, then we went to the dirt berm range where people who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if they were in it passed the class. I consider myself a decent shot and i used a very very high maintenance .22cal that was dirty and had a few jams and miss fires on the first round and still passed with flying colors. I even told them I wanted to re-shoot with my 9mm, but they said it was "ok" and I had "done well".
    All in all i'm glad I went through the class so I can get my CCW but to me all it was, was 125$ for a piece of paper with the NRA logo on it. I kind of feel cheated but that is why I come here to vent and look for the right advice from your experience. Thanks for letting me vent and hope to have my CPL in a month and start my carrying life. I intend to OC but I want to get used to CCing first. TTYL.
    Thomas Jefferson - “To George Washington, 1796: One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i would feel cheated to the class i took was awesome they made shure every body was trained with a gun they showed us a little on just about everything the guy was a retired cop and he was a Vietnam vet he provided all the gun we only shot 9mm to 357mag he even let us shoot the 1911 that he had in Vietnam and yes it was very nice
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Here in Texas you have to qualify with at least a 32 caliber handgun,I don't know if giving answers to the written test is legal where your at ,or if there is a minimum points to pass on the shooting test,but if there is and they violated any part of the testing procedure I would report them to the state,Instructors are suppose to instruct in what is or isn't legal under the law and keep their personal feelings out of it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

now i had the opposite experience....... one of my instructors was a LEO and was very very pro about carrying...was a GREAT class...still if i have any Questions i email him and he gets right back with me.... Very informative.....

Thanks Dutches

i would also feel cheated if i had gone to your class..... sounds like those guys just want the money........
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

post honest, truthfull reviews on google etc and spread the word. If the class was a rip, save others from the same torture. I would have been disappointed too.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Here in Texas you have to qualify with at least a 32 caliber handgun,I don't know if giving answers to the written test is legal where your at ,or if there is a minimum points to pass on the shooting test,but if there is and they violated any part of the testing procedure I would report them to the state,Instructors are suppose to instruct in what is or isn't legal under the law and keep their personal feelings out of it
    I believe most states hold their instructors to a higher standard.
    I couldn't believe the instructors would fudge knowing this could come back and seriously bite them in the butt. Without hearing their side it is hard to say... but cops in general know how the system works when it comes to their area of the world.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Treated the wife to a CCW course. Half her day was taught by a Lawyer and half by a Judge. Both were very positive on carry, but the perspective on the ramifications of actually using your weapon were very important lessons as well.

I'm sure that there were a few 'cowboys' that had not thought enough about the actions that would follow using the weapon. I think that a fair balanced course would have to involve the negative things that happen after the trigger pull.

"I was in fear of my life, I just wanted to stop the attack and I'm too shook up to give any statements without my lawyer present..."

in KY if your a ccdw instructor and had proof shown against you for lack of training you are screwed. I'm pretty sure its a felony charge here if your reported and convicted. sounds like the two jokers in your situation should find a career path away from law enforcement and ccdw instruction.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    My class was direct and to the point, but I thought too brief and not as comprehensive as I would have liked. My instructor was well-trained and knew his material, but I think it was too short.

On the upside, I have learned a great deal here at DeeCee, Phoenix... stick around, and you'll soak up lots of good info...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Here in Tx they had an instructor that was giving a class that was less than what TX required,he's not teaching anymore
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was trained by a Des Moines SWAT officer and I must say, he was just awesome. He explained to us all the laws and scenarios where we can and cannot use deadly force. He made us aware of the importance of laws since not following them could turn into expensive lawsuits and jail time.

He joked about his service firearm being a .40 caliber Glock, but his bug was a .45 1911 wilson combat.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    My instructor was great. Although the classroom was only about 40 degrees last November, that included the heat being on, it was a good time. We took the NRA format as well, and the test was open book, open neighbor, use a pencil so if your wrong you can change your answer, but in our state, they only require you to take a test, not pass it. In our state, they only require 2 hours of range time, which only requires a few shots being fired. Our instructor had tougher requirements that ment you had to hit the target 80% of the time.

On another note, 2 instructors up in the northren part of our state was arrested for selling the certificate of completion for the NRA classes . They never held a class, but all of their students had the certificate to prove they took it. Several people are losing their CHL's for buying them because they obviously broke the law by claiming to have took the class. On top of that, those same people may face criminal charges as well. The Sheriff basically made a public announcement that if you bought one of those certificates, things would go very smooth if you just came into the Sheriffs office instead of them coming for you.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    Well I went to my one day CCW class about two weeks ago and I guess I have to say it was interesting.

All in all i'm glad I went through the class so I can get my CCW but to me all it was, was 125$ for a piece of paper with the NRA logo on it. I kind of feel cheated but that is why I come here to vent and look for the right advice from your experience..
    What State ?
    Are these "trainers" officially associated in any way with the NRA?

I would write a letter to the Govt. Agency in your state that regulates the training.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that in many self-defense shootings, the defender isn't even charged, although he is expected to give a statement, etc. etc. Learning how to cope with the aftermath of a shooting is important. There are classes/lawyers who handle such issues.

It was a major disappointment to me to find out how many cops don't know the laws they're enforcing. Not all, of course, but mistakes are made, as are offensive assumptions on the part of some first responders.

It behooves us to learn how to protect ourselves legally as well as physically.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Seems to me that the instructors in the original post are anti-ccw, as ironic as that sounds.

They are spreading excessive fear among the students that they will be arrested for any SD use of the firearm, regardless of how justified it is.

They are passing people on the shooting portion even if they're poor shots. Are they paying any attention to safe gun handling? I doubt it.

So what does society get when students finish their class?

Fearful carry permit holders, poorly versed in the law, who are bad shots.

Enough of those on the streets is going to result in disaster and make ALL CCW holders look bad.

The end result will be further infringement of our 2A rights "All in the name of public safety".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links