1911 IWB Safety Carry Question??

This is a discussion on 1911 IWB Safety Carry Question?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never before carried a 1911 concealed, especially in an Inside the Waistband holster. I am nervous about accidentially knocking off the slide safety ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 IWB Safety Carry Question??

Question 1911 IWB Safety Carry Question??

I have never before carried a 1911 concealed, especially in an Inside the Waistband holster. I am nervous about accidentially knocking off the slide safety while carrying it in the holster (either Sparks Summer Special or CTAC, can't decide yet) and having an accidental discharge in an area I do NOT want!! ). Am I being overly paranoid?? Thanks, Bill.

2. Remove Ads

As long as your safety doesn't flip off super easy or the holster doesn't rub it and knock it off safe your ok ...

I've carried 1911's iwb with never having this problem

VIP Member
    A good way to build your confidence might be carrying cocked & locked but with the chamber empty for a few days and see if your safety disengages.

I was nervous about carrying my Steyr compact with a chambered round at first...it has NO external safety. After a while, you realize that a mechanically sound pistol is meant to be carried in "condition 1", and the nervousness goes away. Now, I don't even sweat over carrying my 1911's or Browning Hi-Power cocked & locked.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    A good way to build your confidence might be carrying cocked & locked but with the chamber empty for a few days and see if your safety disengages.

I was nervous about carrying my Steyr compact with a chambered round at first...it has NO external safety. After a while, you realize that a mechanically sound pistol is meant to be carried in "condition 1", and the nervousness goes away. Now, I don't even sweat over carrying my 1911's or Browning Hi-Power cocked & locked.
    Very good advice. I carry all my new pistols around the house unloaded for a while , till I get used to em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

mik
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio Bill
    ... I am nervous about accidentially knocking off the slide safety while carrying it in the holster (either Sparks Summer Special or CTAC, can't decide yet) and having an accidental discharge in an area I do NOT want!! ). ...
    Bill -

Although not specifically stated on the Milt Sparks website, I'm betting the Summer Special has a body shield that presses against the safety keeping it firmly in place. The Versa Max II I use has such a shield and I've never worried about the safety being knocked off. It's well protected and I'm quite comfortable carrying my 1911 cocked and locked.

If you need a better endorsement, check out the one from Clint Smith on the MS home page.

All good advice, I too have carried a 1911 IWB with no problems.

OD*
    As the boys have said, you should not have any problem with the safety being placed in the off position. I have carried the 1911 IWB for many years without any trouble at all, a number of those years Mexican style.

Remember, it takes three distinct actions to fire the 1911, thumb safety off, grip safety depressed and the trigger has to be pulled.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

I worried about it when i started as well...but it has never been an issue and you quickly get confident that the 1911 has been around for so long for a reason...try it unloaded for a few days around the house

Administrator

You Should

You Should make certain that your 1911 thumb safety has a postive "snick" on & off. Make sure that it's not easily moved and a mushy on & off.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Provided the safety engages positively and you are using a properly designed holster that is molded around the safety, you should be fine. Mine hasn't disengaged in two months of daily carry.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Been carrying mine for a couple of years now with no issues or problems. I use a Blade-tech IWB. I also agree carrying it empty for awhile around the house until you are comfortable with it.

Brian

the only time I have had the safety get bumped off is on my gun with a ambi safety and that was caused by bumping it on a chair arm of an office chair.
    With an ambi safety one has to worry about the exposed lever on the side away from the body.
    A proper holster will protect the trigger and the chances that all safeties get engaged at the same time by accident are really slim.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Very good advice. I carry all my new pistols around the house unloaded for a while , till I get used to em.
    Amen to that! I had a new 'smith do some work on mine so I carried it Condition 1 on an empty chamber around the apartment for a while just to be sure it was working well. Heck, I put it in that condition and took a nap wearing it. I woke up and everything was just as it should be, now it doesn't bother me a bit.
    Jack

The Milt Sparks Summer Special does not have that shield that comes up over the thumb safety. However.... in my experience, the shield doesn't matter regarding the safety coming off. If the safety is fitted where it has a positive feel when it snaps on and off, it will stay on. That shield is to keep the safety from poking you in the side.
    The SS 2 and I think all the other holsters from Milt Sparks have the shield. I use a VM 2 and an EX and like the shield just for comfort.
    If I'm carrying my Government model, it's in an old Summer Special and I'll eventually remember why I like the others better.
    The only safety issues I've ever run across are with ambi safeties. I have smacked the gun into something and knocked the safety off. This wasn't done walking around the house and tapping furniture, it's more like crawling around under cars or moving lumber.
    Even so, that still leaves several safeties on - grip, finger, brain.

Nothing to worry about. If it were such a problem, no one would carry a 1911 C&L.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links