Defensive Carry banner

Driving through State's that don't recognize ur State's CWP

6K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Hubs 
#1 ·
Do you have to separate bullet's, mag, and gun? Can a person just have it loaded but locked up in the trunk? I ask because I drove through Oregon, California, and New Mexico to get to Texas but was told to separate all by the State patrol in each State that I mentioned except Texas. I'm trying to put together a COF at my next IDPA and need to know if there is such a law in any State stating to do so. Thanks for any info

#2 ·
It depends on the state. Some will require the weapon to be locked separate from the ammo while other will allow concealed carry while you are IN THE CAR even though you do not have a permit.

You will have to check the laws for each state that you are passing through.

#3 ·
I thought the MPA allowed you carry in the car while travelling. Doesn't do much good for protection if ammo and weapon are separated.

Did I miss something on this. That was a federal statute, I thought.

#4 ·
Actually I believe the transport issue will follow federal transport laws at that point. I think that is unloaded and locked in trunk or if no trunk then where the occupants cannot get to it. I don't know if ammo has to be separate. Look up the laws for transport though instead of taking my word for it.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Most states require that you seperate the ammunition from the weapon, and have them both out of reach of the driver. Most Law Enforcement also respect it if you tell them that you are traveling and there is a permit carrying member in the car and that the fire arm is also in the vehicle. Always always say I have a Permit to carry concealed, and that I have my firearm located....... Please do not say " I have a gun". This gets the officers really jumpy and excited. Once the officers know that you are a "responcible" individual they usually drop their guard and relax. I have even had a few ask me how I prefer my weapon over a different one. As most of LE are just like us, just they have a badge and a standard to enforce.

If you dont know or are unsure, I would honestly place the weapon in a seperate compartment of definiatly out of immediate reach and keep the weapon unloaded.

Just my $.02

#6 ·
Definitely look up the laws for each state that you will be traveling through. I have to travel through Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania when I go to my mother's house. Maryland is the only one of those states that doesn't allow open carry or honor my Virginia CCW. It can be a bit of a pain, since I'm only Maryland for about 2 miles, but I still pull over on the West Virginia side of the border, unload my gun, and lock it up in my lockbox in the bed of my truck. Once I hit Pennsylvania (approximately 4 minutes later), I pull over at the state Welcome Center, retrieve my gun, reload it and reholster.

Seems like a lot of trouble just for 4 minutes of travel, but I'd rather stay 100% legal than give any LEO a reason to think I'm a BG or do anything to jeopardize my right to carry.

#7 ·
#8 ·
To be honest, laws of carrying in a vehicle vary widely from State to State.

For example, in Missouri, you are able to carry a loaded and concealed handgun in the car if you are 21 and legally able to own the gun regardless if you are from out of State or have a permit or not.

Right next door in Illinois, which is a notoriously anti-gun State which does not issue CCW or recognize permits from any other State simply requires that the handgun be unloaded and stored in a case. If it is a semi-automatic pistol, the magazine may remain loaded, however it needs to be removed from the gun. They both may be stored in the same case and the case can be sitting in the seat next to you.

So, you can see that in just two examples, of States who are adjacent to each other, the rules of vehicle carry vary widely.

The best course of action is to utilize some due diligence on your part and research the rules for vehicle carry for each State you are going to be traveling through.

That is really the best way to avoid being jammed up while on the road and potentially ruining your travels or worse, resulting in you being arrested outside your home State.

Remember, any gun related offense in another State may cause you to lose your ccw status in your home State. That is one hell of a risk for simply not taking the time to know the law for each State you are going to be in.

Good Luck in the future and do your homework. You'll stay on the right side of the law if you do.

#9 ·
I always have resources bookmarked to help me with the CC laws in various states. I have traveled considerably over the last two years and its critical information. I travel to Maryland during the year to visit my son and do some fishing but their CC laws are very strict. Once I get into the state I have to unload and lock the weapons in a gun safe.

Traveling to Minnesota last summer I had to travel through Illinois and Wisconsin, a bummer, because both these states are no carry states. Know the law, find the web sites for assistance.

#10 ·
In New Mexico you can have your gun open or concealed while in your vehicle without any type of permit. It can be loaded or unloaded. Everything else can be on the passenger seat and it's legal. Nothing has to be separated or locked up. New Mexico has extended dominion, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home.

#11 ·
Federal Law on Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation
the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any AMMUNITION BEING TRANSPORTED IS READILY
ACCESABLE
or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the
glove compartment or console.
US CODE: Title 18,926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

I thank you all for this info but I'm not traveling anywhere right know. I'm looking for that one State that makes someone sepertate the gun, mag and bullet's. I went through what was linked but I couldn't find one. I have another question. Does the statement that I underlined ("AMMUNITION BEING TRANSPORTED IS READILY
ACCESABLE ") mean that loaded bullets in a mag would be consitered readily accesable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.