It is about time

This is a discussion on It is about time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has finaly acepted the fact that I am going to carry everyplace that it is legal to do so. we had a heated ...

Thread: It is about time

Smile It is about time

My wife has finaly acepted the fact that I am going to carry everyplace that it is legal to do so.

we had a heated discution there a few months back. Her statment was that I acted differently when I was carring, "Like you are on guard or something".

LOL, well YES. and after thinking about this for about 2 weeks (unarmed) I decided that I would be armed everytime I left the house and try to be alert without projecting the fact that I was on guard.

this worked great or so I thought. last Wed I wsa busted and did not know. I can down stairs from "getting my coat" and she told our 16 year old that I had the gun with me and that I have it everytime I leave the house.

Hmm, busted. so I asked,"does that mean you want me to stay home now?" the answer was no.

so as it stands, I will be armed and she will acept it because that is the way I like it and unknown to me, she acepts it or at least tolerates it.
    I'll acept that..
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

2. Remove Ads

What would you do if she issued an ultimatum to choose between her or your gun, or else <insert dire consequences here>?

Congratulations on your wife accepting the fact that you will always be carrying your CCW firearm. She may not be thrilled with the idea but acceptance is the first step in that direction. Give it some time. In time she will become accustomed to you being "on guard." In this way you are much better off than I am about having a CCW permit.

Whenever I visit my Mom & we go out for to eat lunch somewhere she now notices that I prefer the tables in the more "strategic" locations of the restaurant. I politely request to the staff that we get a table where with a view of the interior & entrances. Mom is curious, but she's assuming that I'm being "picky" to the restaurant staff. That's as far as my Mom knows anyway.

My Mom has no idea that I have a carry permit. My Mom is very anti-gun so she can never know if I have anything to do with it. At 74 years old she's set in her attitude about guns.

Again, it's good to hear that your wife as come to accept your carrying a firearm with you all the time.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Now all there's left to do is explain everything and how it works to your 16 year old so that your 16 year old does not 'out' you by mistake or ignorance.

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Congrats

At first my wife was not to keen on the Idea of me carring but just from watching the news everyday and my talking she has come around. Now she asks if I'm carring.

Glad she came around for ya. I remember the look on my wifes face the first time she realized I carried everywhere, especially the time when I had re-adjusted my holster before buckling the seat belt in her tiny Honda accord coupe. We had just left the Walmart.

Stay safe!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My wife was NOT real keen on my decision to carry, oh so many years ago. But, since I have been robbed twice in my lifetime and have vowed to never go through that recovery process again. (Fear of public places and fear of strangers) I told her I need to know we would not be totally defensless like the two times before when we leave the house. (I was pistol whipped the first time and stabbed the second)
    So when Texas went CHL, I got one and have had it since.
    (Both incidences were in other states)

I carry everywhere legal and we enjoy going out. But, like many here I am the sheep dog! I sit where I can see the cash register, when I can, and or the entrance. That "on alert" thing will always be there, brought to me by two young punks who were too lazy to work and wanted to impress their friends at what a tough guy they were.
    (I was out numbered on both occasions.) BTY, I would rather carry it forever and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Congrats on winning her over. Both of my kids and their Spouses have their CHL's, so we are well armed at family dinners out.
    My wifes family is clueless. And my wife wants to keeo it that way. Fine by me! My wife doesn't want to carry, but she has this nice Colt by her bed.

By all means take the 16 year old and teach them. Take the mystery out of the equasion. Once they learn to respect your weapons, they will understand they are not toys.

Curtis

Yea, I'm a new guy here, I came to learn from others even though I have carried for years. (Old Dog new tricks)

My wife took the CHL class before me and did very well. she was excited about our trip to gun store. Never fused when we payed for pistols (I just had to get one also). She likes going to range and regularly out shoots me. We both have our CHL and carry all the time. It is a comfort to know that as we go about our daily lives she is as well armed as I and I believe willing to use if real need arises. I bought a Kel Tec P3AT for BUG and sometime carry. We went to range and she fired about a box of ammo through it and said "nice , mine", and took it for her EDC. That litttle gun goes everywhere she goes even around home. I bought another P3AT with a different color grip and said "mine" (Unless she wants it too then then back to gun store again). Life is good!!!!

Here in Michigan, inside Wayne county where I live , the wait time to receive your CCW in the mail is ridiculous. I was told 3 to 4 months.So in between that time,I pray nothing happens to my wife and child or myself.While Oakland county residents receive their permits in a matter of weeks. I find that very strange and biased. In a age where you can send and e-mail from Detroit to China in a matter of seconds, you mean to tell me it takes 3 to 4 months to do a background check!? If your a law abiding citizen an you reside in Detroit, or work here which is in Wayne county,and crime being what it is in the city,I think your application should be given priority. I am surprised nobody else has the balls to speak up on this issue.

Works for me. It gets better when she starts carrying too!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

My wife used to be uncomfortable around guns but now goes shooting with me

Yesterday we went out to walk the dog and she said "Do you have something with you ?"

With a panicked look on my face I asked "WHY, Can you tell" worried that I was printing

She said, "No, you just took a bit longer to get out the door and I knew you had gotten a gun"

I asked "Well, do you mind?"

She said "No, not any more, I've gotten usd to it"

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am glad that she is accepting. Just some unsolicited advice, but I wouldn't bring it up much for awhile. Just carry whenever you leave the house and don't make an issue of it. Certainly avoid rubbing her nose in it. Soon enough it will just be the way things are and she will get comfortable with you carrying.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    I wouldn't bring it up much for awhile. Just carry whenever you leave the house and don't make an issue of it.
    that is the mode of operation. She is a good wife and will come around the rest of the way on her own. I saw her reading the artical about the car jacking of a lady in Everett (south of us 4 miles) at a gass station. took her 8 miles north of us and jacked another car at a gass station with no one in it. She knows, just needs time to get used to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Now all there's left to do is explain everything and how it works to your 16 year old so that your 16 year old does not 'out' you by mistake or ignorance.
    too late on this advice. they all know to keep quiet about this. only I am allowed to tell about that. I have only told my mom. The 16 year old boy has been to the range with me many times. our 25 and 22 year old girls have been once each. All the kids can shoot well ecept for the youngest. at 4 years old I am giving her some time to grow first... ( she wants a pink gun. )

Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    What would you do if she issued an ultimatum to choose between her or your gun, or else <insert dire consequences here>?
    if I had a wife like that, I would say good riddens. During our dating many moons ago I knew that she was not like that. I do not react well to ultimatums a personal flaw of mine. I also fail to blindly fallow anothers way of thinking or acting. I do however lisen to advice and then do some researching and make up my own mind.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

JDL
    Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post

I would miss her very much.

Links