Concealed Carry on a College campus

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on a College campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a masters student at a private college in pa. I have been wondering if it is leagal for me to carry on campus. ...

Thread: Concealed Carry on a College campus

Concealed Carry on a College campus

I am a masters student at a private college in pa. I have been wondering if it is leagal for me to carry on campus. I know you are not allowed to carry in a public school as in a high school or a elementary school, but were do we draw the line.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gymteach65 View Post
    I am a masters student at a private college in pa. I have been wondering if it is leagal for me to carry on campus. I know you are not allowed to carry in a public school as in a high school or a elementary school, but were do we draw the line.
    Check PA statutes. Some states don't allow carry on any campus (FL, for example) while others don't make it illegal, even though the Univ. Bd of Regents (or whatever you call them) will expel students found with a weapon (even if legal).
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

You often sign a contract at the beginning of the year if you live in on-campus housing, which states that you will not bring a gun on campus.

It's private, so they can enforce whatever rules on guns they want. Read the "student manual." If there's nothing about guns, then treat it like any other private establishment that you can carry in.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Howdy from Hallstead!

PA Uniform Firearms Act

§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is pos*sessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (Added by L.1980, Act 167(1), eff. 12/15/80.)

-----------------------------
    Best site for researching CCW ---> Handgunlaw.us

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

legal?

EW3
    Concealed is concealed. Pocket carry is the way to go here.

But, if you are found out, and the school tries to throw the book at you and throw you out, do you have a plan B?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Howdy from Hallstead!

PA Uniform Firearms Act

§[I]912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
    [emphases added]
    INAL and I have no current knowledge of PA Law.

However, this citation appears to only address K-12.

Thoughts or other citations re: post secondary schools??
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

It's not illegal.

This is why I was asking. I got different answers from every one. I just met the head of security there the other day he is former lawinforcement I think I am going to ask him and see what he has to say. He carries on campus but I know with him that it is a completely different story.

Most schools actually have "campus police". Walk in and ask them (before you carry of course). I had questions for the campus police here at Univ of CO... and the officer I spoke w/ there was very nice and polite and full of information. She had info on campus carry and carry around campus and when she wasn't sure about what she considered a gray area regarding a round in the chamber... she contacted the local DA for clarification just to be sure.

Never go by just campus or just state laws. Depending on where you live... one may trump the other so it is best to inquire both at the campus and county level.

I think I am going to ask him and see what he has to say.
    That's probably not a good idea. There is no Commonwealth law against carrying on college campuses. There likely is some policy for students and employees. So, you can't be arrested or charged with anything (except possibly criminal tresspass, if you were asked to leave campus and refused), but you could be expelled.

You should weigh the risks involved for yourself. If you decide to carry against university policy, you probably don't want to raise suspicions with campus security.

Links