CCW renewal. WOW!!!!!!

This is a discussion on CCW renewal. WOW!!!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These messages remind me of when I first qualified. There were two of us at the time qualifying. I had my G26 and the other ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW renewal. WOW!!!!!!

These messages remind me of when I first qualified. There were two of us at the time qualifying. I had my G26 and the other man in the next aisle had a .22 handgun. He had more than his fair share of misfires, etc. and I could see the range officer was giving him more than enough time to complete the qualifications in the required time limits. I'm almost certain that my buddy in the next aisle added a few extra holes to my target. I suppose I should have thanked him under the circumstances. But I didn't want to appear out of line since this was my first time for my permit qualifications.

I honestly wonder how many other people there are out there with CCW permits who really shouldn't have qualified in the first place. It makes me wonder all the same.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

Some people are irresponsible due to the fact that they get a gun and and shoot a couple of shots and think they are experts. They are not gun people who practice.

After the written test at my class we took the range test. I was apprehensive. Some of the students needed help loading their firearms. I used that range to practice until I had the chance to go to a private club. What a big difference. I am much more comfortable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    The biggest flaw you're making is that you aren't recognizing that there are those people who can shoot; those who say that they can shoot; and those who only wish they could shoot.

Those of us who can shoot forget about the other 2 categories most of the time until faced with a raw shooter with no clue what they are doing. Those who like to talk about how great a shooter they are don't have time to remember the truth OR that there are others who are worse. The last group has no clue what shooting is, be it good or bad. The result is that the cold hard fact that a lot of shooters are lousy shots tends to jump up and bite us on occasion.
    How right you are!! I was in a gunshop a few months ago when a guy came in all excited with his target. He had been to the range with a used scoped rifle that he had bought from the shop and was telling everyone that the rifle was a "tack driver". He was really proud of his 1 inch groups fired from a bench rest with a scoped rifle at 25 feet. Not even 25 yards but 25 feet.
    NRA life member.

I'm going for my first NRA handgun safety course with range qualification this weekend. I hope I can some day make it to the level everyone here claims to be. I understand some of these people being talked about are probably CC'ers that never practice and seek out additional training (and shame on them)! But I feel sorry for these people getting a dressing down who are n00bs like I am (and like I imagine we all were at some time) trying to get to the point to where all you seasoned vets are. Hopefully they don't see some of these comments and give up. I hope they ignore all the people making fun of them and focus on their own progression of getting better instead of focusing on why the excellent marksman next to them is teasing them.

I just applied for my CC license a few days ago - in Virginia, Ken Cuccinelli proposed and was able to pass a law that allows online firearms training courses to fulfill the educational requirement. So, I took that and applied - now I wait. I know how to operate my XD45 and I can shoot pretty accurately with it - I just didn't want to pay a lot of money to an NRA instructor so they could certify what I already know.

I started shooting guns later than most folks - I'm 23 now, but my dad first bought a Ruger .22 pistol only a few years ago. I took that to the range and learned the safety rules from my LEO older brother. I wouldn't feel as comfortable with a handgun if I hadn't learned from my brother.

I wouldn't say I'm the best shot. I tend to have a heavy trigger finger, which causes a number of rounds to drift down. But I hit the paper and know how to operate my XD45 service. I definitely try to concentrate on what I'm doing wrong and correct it the next time. And I have seen guys get ejected from the range for hitting the sidewalls ...something I never do :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    I'm going for my first NRA handgun safety course with range qualification this weekend. I hope I can some day make it to the level everyone here claims to be. I understand some of these people being talked about are probably CC'ers that never practice and seek out additional training (and shame on them)! But I feel sorry for these people getting a dressing down who are n00bs like I am (and like I imagine we all were at some time) trying to get to the point to where all you seasoned vets are. Hopefully they don't see some of these comments and give up. I hope they ignore all the people making fun of them and focus on their own progression of getting better instead of focusing on why the excellent marksman next to them is teasing them.
    I don't think anyone is making fun of noobs. As you say we were all one at some time. I think the point you're missing is that some of these people are just not ready to be carrying a concealed weapon at this stage of their training. You seem to have the right attitude. You know you are a noob and are prepared to do something about it. Good for you. Sure there is good natured fun to be found on this forum but I certainly don't think anyone is "making fun" of noobs. I do think people have some legitimate concerns based on what they see in their CCW classes or at the range. After all, some of these people are going to be walking around armed in their community. We should be concerned. We'd be foolish not to be.

Yep, there are some dangerous gunslinger out there...
    It's the reason I stick to a private range...I'm willing to pay extra for the safety.
    At our range...you're either practicing safely or you're gone...it's stressed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    I've found the folks on this forum to be very knowledgable and helpful, and the mods do a good job of keeping the rif-raf out. I don't think anyone's intention was to make fun of new shooters; certainly, it wasn't my intention.

As ming pointed out, shooting is a lot like driving. If you start out carefully, get the proper training and practice, you can soon step up to bigger and better things. Jump into an Indy car with no previous time behind the wheel (but lots of testosterone), and I can tell you that it probably won't end well.

This is one of the reasons I'm going for an instructor's permit. Shooting should be fun, but first it must be safe. Everyone who comes in contact with a gun MUST know and practice the rules of firearm safety.

I don't feel that most experienced people make fun of noobs, we do however question the logic of certain folks like my wife's previous boss. This person would brag that he was well protected because he had a revolver in is car. Upon further discussion it was learned that he was up to renew his permit and had not fired said revolver since he got his original permit, 4 years earlier.

All the people at my NRA classes here in NY were all quite competent. And we had to qualify with guns we never shot.

I love my private range ; ) Can do alot of draw & double/triplr tap, Side to side
    & shoot while seeking cover And my favorite Draw & fire from hip, Hardly ever use sites H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    Did my renewal class this week too. One guy had a Sig 9mm and shot it, then could not get it to fire. He had put a 45acp mag in it. Another guy shot the ground in front of him. And the hits on the targets, OH MY GOD. Most folks can not shoot. People learn to shoot. Get to know your gun, PLEASE!!

I now step off the soap box.
    Gee, and people wonder why I call for more training before you should be allowed to carry in public?

I'm not trying to derail your thread, but I think you make my case for me. I'm not against allowing people to own anything they want to own, in their own home. That includes fully automatic without any Tax Stamp. The caveat is, before you carry anything out and about in public, where people I love frequent, I want to be reasonably assured that you can hit what you are aiming at.

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    Did my renewal class this week too. One guy had a Sig 9mm and shot it, then could not get it to fire. He had put a 45acp mag in it. Another guy shot the ground in front of him. And the hits on the targets, OH MY GOD. Most folks can not shoot. People learn to shoot. Get to know your gun, PLEASE!!

I now step off the soap box.
    What state are you in?

We have no such requirement here in Missouri.
    Where I qualified , you don't shoot your own gun. In fact, you are told not to bring any of your own guns. Your are given either a .22 target pistol or a .22 revolver. You shoot a few rounds of each and then choose.
    20 rounds in the target area qualifies. I think there is only about 10% who don't qualify but they get extra special help so by the end of the day all 40 people int the class normally qualify.

Things may differ on where and how your NRA instructor conducts his class.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    There are lots of people who need lots of practice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links