Need help with a research paper please

This is a discussion on Need help with a research paper please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good evening ladies and gents. I have a research paper coming up this semester in my Business Law class. The topic must relate to both ...

Thread: Need help with a research paper please

Good evening ladies and gents. I have a research paper coming up this semester in my Business Law class. The topic must relate to both the business and law aspect of the class. The teacher gave an example of Security Regulations and effects on airlines etc. I am trying to thing of something that relates to firearms. My professor is a republican, this is the first one I have EVER had at this college. I am taking the opportunity to learn, and be able to write about something that normally a teacher might look down upon. Any suggestions?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

VIP Member
    glad to help out, give some more details as to what the paper is supposed to cover for the business aspect
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I think it just has to deal directly with how state and federal laws effect, or are directly related to business. I was thinking of how some states/cities outlaw firearms. But there is just not enough beef there to write a 5 page paper?

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Here are some ideas for you:

1. The State of Montana recently enacted a law stating that firearms produced and sold to a resident of Montana are excempt from Federal Regualations because it does not involve inter-state commerce.

2. Take a look at the lawsuits that have surrounded Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk, VA. The owner declined to provide a list of every used firearm transaction.

3. Today the senate passed a requirement for AMTRAC to allow firearms in checked luggage.

4. A large portion of business law is contracts. You could write a paper on how firearms manufacturers have been sued because some one used the product (Firearm) in an illegal manner. Tie this to Tort Law and look up Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

Monday, March 09, 2009

Fairfax, Va. – Today, the U.S. Supreme Court denied consideration of New York City and Washington, D.C. lawsuits, New York v. Beretta and Lawson v. Beretta, respectively, that tried to hold American gun manufacturers responsible for the acts of criminals

5. How about how the laws of different states affect a manufacturers design of a firearm. Look at what CA will / will not approve to be sold.

6. Anti-Trust, Wal-Mart, and the former Ma/Pa Gunshop could be an interesting paper. Think about how if Wal-Mart or another large retailer is able to essentially put small business out of business.

7. Take a look / dissect a legal disclaimer for one of the large manufacturers

Good Luck on the paper

You can also talk about how no gun signs are/ are not valid in various states. How these signs can affect business.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

Sure... here's one: instead of paying all the security, technology, metal detectors, etc at airports to prevent guns, knives, etc.... why not have a barrel of .38 loaded revolvers and hand one to each passenger as they get on the airplane. Any idiot who would be dumb enough to try to hijack the airplane, is done.

So, are our regulations costing us a lot of money with little real effect ? When simple solutions might be easier, but it's people's fear of guns that prevent it ?

I'm betting all of the passengers on Flight 93, wish they had had one.

I have experienced some trouble concerning transporting firearms on an airline. Usually its o.k., but the basic problem is that you must first declare your firearm (and display it) at the airline check-in counter and then be accompanied (or maybe not) to a TSA checkpoint for a second check. The first check-in may be an inexperienced and firearms averse person or not, and the TSA check-in may be a cynical bureaucrat, a friendly guy, or none of the above. It's kind of luck-of-the-draw and for that reason, although I always travel with firearms, I feel uncertainty and anxiety as I approach the time. And the bottom line is, that the firearm will be transported in checked luggage and so represents not one iota of risk to the passengers in the plane. One would think that the powers that be would target their energies more to preventing something bad from getting on board from a bad guy.
    I must say, I feel that my luggage has been "lost" on more than one occasion by a TSA official who has disagreed with my right to bear arms, and let my checked baggage sit awaiting inspection until my flight has left. Good luck with your research.

Quote Originally Posted by uscarry45 View Post

4. A large portion of business law is contracts. You could write a paper on how firearms manufacturers have been sued because some one used the product (Firearm) in an illegal manner. Tie this to Tort Law and look up Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.

Ding Ding Ding!!! That's the winner!! I had a different subject in mind until I read that. Now for the research!! Thank you very much! This is going to be fun

Federal Firearms Acts of 1934, 1968, 1986 and Assault Weapons Bans effect on supply and demand of controlled firearms. Firearms registry was closed limiting number of full auto firearms to those already registered limiting availability and causing prices to skyrocket. Speculators made huge profits on full auto firearms purchased before the registry was closed. Individual States licensing requirements or banning of weapons effect on ownership, availability and value. Compare value of pre/post ban semi auto rifles due to banned cosmetic details (bayonet lug, pistol grip,flash hider), change in value after expiration of Federal Assault Weapon Ban and influence of State bans (California). Current increase in demand for Evil Black Rifles due to fear of Obama signing weapons ban.

(Interesting note- I mis spelled Obamma on this reply using FireFox and right clicked to get proper spelling. One of the choices was "Mohammad". Truth is stranger than fiction.)

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    "4. A large portion of business law is contracts. You could write a paper on how firearms manufacturers have been sued because some one used the product (Firearm) in an illegal manner. Tie this to Tort Law and look up Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act."

-That would be this law students choice. I dont think I could fit it in to 5 pages though. Get help on this at a local law school, and make sure you use blue book citation.

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Ding Ding Ding!!! That's the winner!! I had a different subject in mind until I read that. Now for the research!! Thank you very much! This is going to be fun
    Great topic. Not sure how much you will find, but it would be interesting to know how much the cities plus manufacturers spent on legal fees. I suspect the cities will try to hide their expenditures.

Good luck with the paper. Maybe you could get back to us with a copy of the paper or an "executive summary"?

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Have you thought of the Security industry itself. Specifically the laws that relate to armed security personnel? Each state has its own set of regulations and law that pertain to armed security officers. Since it is a business that may require certain personnel to carry firearms I believe you might be able to cover both bases easily. There are countless other possibilties as well but few take a serious look at the security field in order to understand what those folks have to put up with, state regulations and laws, company regulations, client mandates, public opinion, and criminal activity to name just a few. Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    How about this:

Federal law allows for interstate travel of firearms when unloaded, legal to own in departure and arrival location, and locked in a trunk. All major US airlines allow for firearms in checked baggage as well.

A case or two have come up with NY State arresting people at the airport who try to check firearms. For example, a lady drove from another state to a NY airport, checked in on her way to a 3rd state and was arrested for possessing an unregistered pistol.

There are additional commerce/business issues as well as only the Federal gov't can regulate interstate travel.

There is even recent news in this issue: Congress is writing a bill that would force Amtrack to allow checked firearms (they are currently illegal)

best of luck

Sponsored Links