Pocket carry with dress slacks

This is a discussion on Pocket carry with dress slacks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been pocket carrying my Ruger LCP every day for the past three months. I originally started with a cheap Ace Case pocket holster, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket carry with dress slacks

Pocket carry with dress slacks

I have been pocket carrying my Ruger LCP every day for the past three months. I originally started with a cheap Ace Case pocket holster, and recently bought a custom made thin kydex pocket holster. There is no thickness at all, but I have noticed with thin dress slacks, I get a slight printing of the edge of the butt. I know part of it is because I've gained some weight, and I should probably bump up to the next size up, but I'm wondering if there are any brands of slacks with thicker material that are better for pocket carry. Maybe even reinforced pockets.

Another problem is that the new holster is form fitted, and leaves the grip clear while covering the trigger guard. Problem is it has a slot in the bottom, and if I'm not careful adjusting, I light up my pocket with the laser.

I know, "be more careful adjusting". But I wonder if there might be something I can do to stop it. Maybe something as easy as electrical tape.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just a thought - I don't have an LCP yet (I actually may pick one up tomorrow) because my 637 is printing thru a little too clearly in it's holster, in the same pocket.

I'm thinking about this wallet-holster for the LCP:
    Ruger LCP 380 Pocket/Wallet Holster

I like the idea of a sheer wall of leather that completely obliterates any possible outline.

Look at carrying a 642 for the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Just a thought - I don't have an LCP yet (I actually may pick one up tomorrow) because my 637 is printing thru a little too clearly in it's holster, in the same pocket.

I'm thinking about this wallet-holster for the LCP:
    Ruger LCP 380 Pocket/Wallet Holster

I like the idea of a sheer wall of leather that completely obliterates any possible outline.
    I carry a Seecamp in that holster in slacks. Absolutely the best.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

--dunno if this may help: My trouser pockets placed my pistol on the thickest part of my thigh. I had a seamstress stitch a seam 1"-2" higher on several of them, which brought it more into the concavity above the quadriceps. They are tailored pretty high-waist ed, so the grip is still well concealed...even while sitting.

No problems with my LCP. Even with trousers where there is a slight bulge, there is no way anyone can tell it is a gun.

In my 48 years on earth, I've never had anyone ask what is in my pockets! Even for all the times there isn't a gun in my pocket.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I use a nemesis holster for my Kel-tec P3AT... No problems

My model 60 carried in a Galco horsehide pocket holster prints, but to my knowledge no one has ever noticed it. I wouldn't worry about it.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I carry a 642 in a Nemesis all spring and summer. My normal "uniform" is Chinos or Dress slacks. I think people have a tendency to look in the mirror and see a print more clearly than a casual observer would. They see a gun because they are looking for a gun. I carry spare ammo and a knife in the left pocket and it bulges as much as the gun. Unless you have a gun whose outline screams gun, I wouldn't worry about it. Since the outline of my 642 is curves, it fits right in with body contours. The square outline of an LCP or other small auto could be a pager or something else. If you don't maintain a demeamor that looks threatening knowbody notices you. Smile at people a lot, it distracts them from looking at anything but your face.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I carry a Kel Tec P3AT in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster #2. I ware dress slacks most of the time. The #2 needed some work to make it work right. I add 1/2 inch filler to bottom of holster and it started to work just fine. As to printing, if a person knows I am packing say wife she can see the very vague printing. I have learned that if I pay no attention to my pocket holster carry nether do other folks.

I assume that you're carrying in the front pocket.

You might want to try a rear pocket holster. They have an anti print flap that covers the entire holster and allows it to print just like a wallet. A little different to get used to on the draw, but extremely convenient and absolutely covert. As an added benefit, it frees up the front pocket for keys, cell phone, etc..... I carry my wallet on my weak side and my Seecamp is always in my strong side back pocket.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Administrator
    Here is what I have learned; Use a soft pocket holster that covers as much as the pistol when pock carrying in slacks. First, it hides better and is far more comfortable. Second, it won't wear a hole in the top of your pocket as fast.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Same problem, similar solution to others. I wear slacks everyday, and changing wardrobe or wearing a jacket was not an option. Put simply, slacks aren't designed to have a bunch of stuff in your pockets, much less a gun. I don't know if there is anything that looks less professional than a guy in neatly pressed slacks with all manner of 'stuff' bulging out of their pockets.

My fix: Get some heavy jeans material or even canvas, have the wife or yourself cut out the pattern to match your pocket. Sew material inside pocket, or you can make it slightly thicker material and make it removable to use in multiple pockets.

This helps prevent wearing a hole in your pocket and stops any printing. As a plus, if you do both pockets, it also helps the slacks look a lot 'cleaner' since nothing is printing(keys, phone, cigarettes, whatever).

Before I finally decided to take the time to sew in some reinforcing fabric, I used a quick fix of a stack of 3 or 4 pieces of paper and folded it in quarters. This stopped the printing, but was far less convenient than the extra material.

The only other option I found viable was using a Smart Carry.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Uncle Mike's and the DeSantis Nemesis holsters are good for pocket carry, I have both. I recently got a DeSantis Superfly which is even better imo. The SuperFly is kind of like a Nemesis pocket holster with an extra rectangular stiff piece that velcros on the front of the pocket holster. That extra rectangular piece in front totally breaks up the outline, even better. At least on my round shape, I find that the lower corner of these pocket holsters becomes bent with the curve of my leg over time, so that over time the worn-in holster doesn't break up the outline of the gun as well. I think the SuperFly fixes this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cl00bie View Post
    I have been pocket carrying my Ruger LCP every day for the past three months. I originally started with a cheap Ace Case pocket holster, and recently bought a custom made thin kydex pocket holster. There is no thickness at all, but I have noticed with thin dress slacks, I get a slight printing of the edge of the butt. I know part of it is because I've gained some weight, and I should probably bump up to the next size up, but I'm wondering if there are any brands of slacks with thicker material that are better for pocket carry. Maybe even reinforced pockets.

Another problem is that the new holster is form fitted, and leaves the grip clear while covering the trigger guard. Problem is it has a slot in the bottom, and if I'm not careful adjusting, I light up my pocket with the laser.

I know, "be more careful adjusting". But I wonder if there might be something I can do to stop it. Maybe something as easy as electrical tape.
    How about something as easy as taking the laser off? Does it really serve any purpose?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links