Old Subject, new Post. CCW weapon for wife

This is a discussion on Old Subject, new Post. CCW weapon for wife within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I went shopping for a CCW weapon for her. We looked at the EMP .40, Sig 238 .380, Walther PPS .40, Kahr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Subject, new Post. CCW weapon for wife

Question Old Subject, new Post. CCW weapon for wife

My wife and I went shopping for a CCW weapon for her. We looked at the EMP .40, Sig 238 .380, Walther PPS .40, Kahr P9, P40, Colt Defender .45, New Agent .45, Kimber CDP Ultra .45, Pro CDP, and Kel-Tec P3TA and Glock 19. Yes I know a broad range of weapons. Now the parameters. Prefer 9MM or larger, the CDP frame fit her hand best. The Ultra CDP is out because the 3" barrel models have FTF, stove pipe and other jamming problems. Weight is a serious issue though. She has had 3 neck surgeries in the last 5 years. 2 posterior incisions, 1 anterior incision. She is limited to a smaller light purse with limited capacity. Plus I really don't like purse carry for a multitude of reasons. She has long fingers so some of the micros (P-238,P3TA,) were hard and slow for her to insert her trigger finger. The Kahr was better but the CDP was best followed by the Colts. What I am looking for is suggestions of other weapons to consider, and especially from the ladies, carry options. My wife is 5'7" height /weight proportional. I know this questions has been asked and answered multiple times before, so please forgive and indulge me.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I hate to say it, but it sounds like you are trying to do the shopping for her. She needs to pick out her own carry gun and method. With her medical problems, she may be limited to a .380 or 9mm. Sounds like .40 and .45 maybe to much for her in the smaller guns you have mentioned. She may want to consider something like a Bersa .380, a little larger than the LCP or Sig 238, so recoil will be lighter. Unless you have personally had problems with the Kimber Ultra line, I wouldn't rule them out. I have one that has been nothing but reliable.

I'd try to rent as many of these guns as you can, let her try them and let her make her own decision on her gun and the carry method.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Cool Good call

TX-JB if you knew my wife you'd know I am only an adviser! She will pick out the weapon, I'll proudly and happily pay for it. Hadn't though of the Bersa .380. Good call. Age old problem is lighter weight means greater recoil from a given round. I want her to want to practice often and if it is not fun to shoot she won't practice. As you noted though, her health issues also play into practice with larger calibers when practicing. I might consider a .380 using Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Really want to find something light enough she will carry all the time, heavy enough to reduce recoil, small enough caliber to reduce recoil, large enough to reduce a BG to a DG. As usual I want my cake and eat it too.

Stormtruck2,

I actually carry a Kahr P9 all day every day, so I might be able to provide you with some input. I prefer the P9 for a number of reasons, and it might work out for your wife as well as it does for me. Let me start off by saying I'm about 6' but am a thin guy at 150 lbs. The fact that the gun is less than an inch thick makes it very, very easy to conceal - and comfortable at that. It's also extremely lightweight when loaded. As we all know the gun(s) we carry are supposed to comforting, not comfortable, but damn this gun is comfortable.

Performance-wise the gun definitely delivers. It comes with a 7 round magazine, and an extended 8 round magazine. With 7+1 of 9mm and another 8 in my pocket I feel well protected. Some people will argue that 9mm "just isn't good enough," but that's a whole different topic. In a nutshell, the 9mm is plenty powerful with the modern loads of today - more powerful than most people will give it credit for. Choose your loads wisely and you'll be fine.

The P9 has some very aggressive checkering, which is necessary to keep this ultralight gun from moving in your hands during strings of fire. Since it's so light, it does pop quite a bit. The grip angle and low bore axis, combined with the earlier mentioned checkering make it very controllable though. Practice makes perfect!

I love the trigger. Keep in mind this gun is DAO. Some people will argue that the Kahr trigger is among the best of this type. It took some getting used to for me, because I'm a CZ-75 guy, but after a bit of practice I respect it a lot. It's incredibly smooth.

This gun is much different from the 1911 style CDP you were eyeballing. It's much more simple. Dare I say, Glock simple? I may get some flak from 1911 lovers for this, but the fact of the matter is that 1911s are prone to parts breakage. The 1911 is a beautiful design, and most pistols, including the Kahr inherited the basic Browning locked-breech design. However, the 1911 itself is just prone to break down on you at one point or another - more so than other pistols of this day and age.

There is more I could say about the P9, but I was trying to keep this short and already ended up typing more than you wish to read. Sorry! Let me end this by asking: Have you given the CW9 a look? I think it might be nearly $200 less than the P9. The only differences are that it has pinned in sights instead of dovetailed sights, a traditionally rifled barrel instead of a polygonal barrel, and no laser engraving. It's still a great gun. The P9 is essentially the premium version of the CW9.

If you have any questions about the Kahr, don't hesitate to ask. Take care.
    \

Two that you never mentioned were the Glock-26 and the Glock-36. The G-36 has a much thinner grip...have her grab on to one. Also, do not discount a good ole' S&W snubbie...whatever, let HER pick it out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One of the above posters mentioned the Bersa Thunder .380 - a great gun, which I actually own. Because of the fact that it is of blowback design though - where the barrel doesn't move - and is actually fixed to the frame - the recoil is substantial. The .380 isn't a very recoil intensive round, but because of the fact that the Bersa is of blowback design - even with its heavier weight, the recoil is definitely comparable to a larger 9mm. Still a great gun though! Loaded with features and under $250.

Thumbs up Great advice guys, keep it coming

We did try a CW9 today and it was nice. My wife with her long fingers likes a thicker grip. The traditional rifling vs the octagonal rifiling to me is a plus. We have talked about Glocks, (currently have a G19 with Crimson on it) but haven't really looked at them yet. She likes a full length grip. She feels more secure of her control of the weapon. I really appreciate all the good advice. Please keep it coming. Oh and I can guarantee SHE will be the one to pick the weapon. She out shot me at a fed qualification one time. I don't argue with her.

S: in due course you'll get 1,000x1,000 replies admonishing you for asking your question. I, however, will stay in context. Given the physical issues you describe, she may find the CZ Rami and Beretta 9000s interesting...certainly more-so than the other plastic guns you mention. The 3" 1911s are nice (I have two) but have slim grips and generally require seasoned handling. Good luck!

The babyglocks are solid guns in general, but the G26 has a fat grip, and the
    G36 fires .45ACP - which is awesome - but not for a smaller person. +1 to getting as much input from her as possible. Since this is her gun to carry, she needs to be there in deciding the whole way. Maybe even let her read these forum posts.

She is sitting right here reading them with me. I am merely the typist. LOL We will definitely be looking at the Berettas and the Glocks. I like steel guns, and she likes.... diamonds. LOL

Yup

I understand the problem with having long fingers and the thin grip of the Kahr. It is very thin indeed and almost awkward at first if you have long fingers. Keep in mind though, 1911 style pistols are also very thin. With practice I got used to the thin grip very quickly.

I remember you mentioned you were against purse carry. The .9" grip would allow your wife to carry on the hip very discreetly if she so chose that route. Printing is virtually non-existant with Kahr, regardless of wardrobe. You've probably picked up I love Kahrs, which I do, but I love all guns.

There isn't such thing as a perfect gun. There are pros and cons to each. Compromises must always be made. I'm upgrading to a G32 in .357 Sig for my winter carry for instance. I'm getting more power and capacity, a longer sight radius, but in a larger package.

Get her as involved as you can, like others have suggested, keep asking questions, and don't make a rushed decision. Choosing a carry gun is an important edeavor. Everyone at Defensive Carry is more than happy to provide input, as you can very well see. In then end though, it's up to you and your wife to make the ultimate choice. Cheers.
    Attached Images

This thread is exploding. Every time I click the reload button, more posts pop up. Steel? Keep in mind Kahr makes the expensive K series, which is steel. There we go with the compromise thing. With steel you get more control on follow up shots as you know, but a less comfortable carry and more maintainance. The choices are endless really, regardless of manufacturer. Keep an open mind.

Talking To IWB

Nice pic of your P9. Very current from the time stamp. We are considering IWB carry but she rarely wears a belt, and since a belt is extremely important part of the rig, what now chief? I thought about getting her a garter holster but she said I would claim to be checking to see if shes carrying when I was actually just copping a feel of her leg. What about when she wears a skirt or a dress, what options do we have then? I rarely wear womans clothes: so i have no idea on CCW for woman. I really appreciate all the good input from everyone. Thats what makes this site so great.

Yes, the belt is the all-important part of the rig. Carrying a pistol is a lifestyle change. Making the transition from never carrying, to carrying all the time can be extreme. Some people have to alter their entire wardrobe to accomodate the change. Whether it be buying pants a size up for IWB carry if you don't already wear loose fitting pants, new shirts to prevent printing, or a belt, sometimes changes have to be made to effectively carry. The idea of carrying in a purse is very unsettling to me. What happens when the BG grabs the purse? No more gun. This would be a great time for some women in the DC forums to chime in. Skirt or dress carry is something I've never really thought about. It is possible to wear some pistols in a necklace style holster. With this option you're limited to very small pistols though. I've never thought of a garter holster, but hey, it might work for her. Guns and holsters. You have a lot to consider.

Let me add something else... Thigh holster is what you should search for if looking to carry in that mode. If you key in "garter holster" while searching, you'll just pull up a bunch of novelty nonsense. Galco makes a thigh holster, but it looks a little uncomfortable. It may work though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links