Summer Carry...

This is a discussion on Summer Carry... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, today friends it was a Carolinal 86 degree day and it was fairly warm and this was on the way from work for me. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry...

Summer Carry...

Well, today friends it was a Carolinal 86 degree day and it was fairly warm and this was on the way from work for me. Well, I got home and strapped on the .38 since I was car washing and paying bills. Man, it was warm, however, I was comfortable. Well, I have started carrying the 1911 more due to rise in crime and it provides more capacity and punch than the .38 snub.

But, I tell ya, when the heat got to really going I thought how hot the 1911 would make me feel. Well, I still want to carry it 24/7 as my primary, but the heat of spring and summer may change my mind. Who goes full size all the time, and how did you get use to packing it in the heat?
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Blue - my 226 stays even with heat. I can tho always cover that with my Smith & Alexander vest, which does not add too much because so thin.

I have reached a point where pretty much come what may, I refuse to downsize unless really no other option.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Even with shorts I can carry my 4" barrelled SA. It's all in how ya dress.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks guys... I know alot people are confident in their .38 and I love my little airweight, but things are getting worse and criminals more bold.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

i carried a 1911 in shorts and T-shirt all summer last year and it was a fullsize 5" all depends how ya dress

Assistant Administrator
    Bud in shorts!

Hey Bud - howsabout a pic - and you can wear sandals too I won't mind.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Shorts and an untucked tee-shirt are enough to cover my SP101. It doesn't hold nearly the rounds of a pistol, but I shoot it best and .357 is a sufficent cartridge power-wise.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I'd run with a pair of dockers shorts, sandals, a light polo styled shirt untucked, my VM-2 supported by a gun belt and 1911 Commander secured and in condition 1. If not that, then carry the handgun in a bag. i do that quite often. the canyon bag by coronado leather is a great way to carry a handgun off your person. nobody gives it a second look.
    john

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Bud in shorts!

Hey Bud - howsabout a pic - and you can wear sandals too I won't mind.
    And socks?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I don't know about a bag. Theres to big of a chance of it getting stolen or forgotten somewhere.
    My ccw should be here before the end of the month and i plan on either a glock 29 or a 640 snubbie in a forward cant hidden by a billowy hawaiin shirt.(yeah right this is seattle, so hidden by a billowy rain jacket)
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

whats wrong with sandals with socks???
    Oh yeah you look like a wank. Add some high water sweats and some aviators and your looking smooth.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

BlueLion, Don't know how old you are but some of the responses tell me they are much younger than I. My running days were over a long time ago. Carry SA Custom Loaded A1 black stainless in Sparks VM2. Cover w/ a polo shirt or short sleve cotton untucked. Deep East Texas Heat. Also was 86 here today too. If mowing, welding, dirty work, I cover w/ a camo sleeveless heavy cotton shirt. How to deal w/ the heat??? If you are used to an AC office & desk job, it will be difficult. Sweat is soaked up by t-shirt. Loose cover shirt will catch all breeze if any. I have to clean my weapon almost daily when working. It is not yet really hot here but had to take down & give a quick clean up even today. Bottom line is you just have to decide to do it, then do it.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Quote Originally Posted by longtooth
    Don't know how old you are but some of the responses tell me they are much younger than I. My running days were over a long time ago. Carry SA Custom Loaded A1 black stainless in Sparks VM2. Cover w/ a polo shirt or short sleve cotton untucked. Deep East Texas Heat. If mowing, welding, dirty work, I cover w/ a camo sleeveless heavy cotton shirt. How to deal w/ the heat??? If you are used to an AC office & desk job, it will be difficult. Sweat is soaked up by t-shirt. Loose cover shirt will catch all breeze if any. I have to clean my weapon almost daily when working. It is not yet really hot here but had to take down & give a quick clean up even today. Bottom line is you just have to decide to do it, then do it.

hello longtooth. nice to speak with another Texan. I'm in Allen, just north of Dallas, not that you needed that info. We must be tolerant our compadre on the West Coast. He might be just now coming of age. all said in good humor of course.
    john

mik
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    i carried a 1911 in shorts and T-shirt all summer last year and it was a fullsize 5" all depends how ya dress
    Bud - What kinda holster and was your T-shirt tucked or untucked?

I've got a Milt Sparks Versa Max II I like a lot, but haven't tried wearing it next to my own hide yet.

OD*
    Who goes full size all the time, and how did you get use to packing it in the heat?
    I really don't know if you ever get use to it or not, I've learned to live with it because the 1911 is what I choose to carry. I carry in one of three ways in shorts or long pants. Either in a Gordon Davis "Security" (Summer Special), an Askins Avenger or a Miami Classic, depending on what I plan on doing.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links