Spare Mags??? - Page 3

Spare Mags???

This is a discussion on Spare Mags??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry one extra mag. If travailing to bad area I carry 2 extra mags. And what every else I deem necessary....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spare Mags???

I carry one extra mag. If travailing to bad area I carry 2 extra mags. And what every else I deem necessary.

One extra mag of 13...BUG with 5 rounds and a reload for the BUG of 5. Thats 37. Plus I have two extra 10 rounders in my drivers door of my truck. Thats 57 in my vehicle. and 37 on my person. Go with what is comfortable to ya.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Interesting thread. I carry in the mag plus chamber only. Based this on conversations years ago that you never want to empty a mag into a BG. And I never put too much thought into gang situations where multiple BG's wouldn't back off once one or two had fallen.

Interesting to consider. Thanks.
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Only times you can have too much ammo is if your on fire or swimming
    beat me to it

off duty I carry 10+1 in the G30, 2 G21 13round spares

on duty its G17 17+1 and 2 spares (soon to be a Keltec P11 bug 12+1 and 1 spare)
    in the car its Mr 870 4+1 with 10 extra

I'm of the opinion that one reload is minimum no matter what one carries, however there is a saying that 2 is 1 and 1 is none
    I'd rather go through the "trouble and hassle" of carrying 2 spare mags and never need them in my entire life than to get caught where the brown stuff hits the spinning thingy and wish I had another mag.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    20 rounds total of .40 S&W

10 in my Glock 27 and 10 in a spare Glock + 1 mag in a leather holder.

If I find myself in a situation where more is needed, I'm SOL...
    Proud NRA member

When I wear my 1911, then it is two spare mags.
    With the PT24/7, it is one extra 15rd mag.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your thinking!

Charged mag + chambered round : 17
    Spare mags: 2 x 16 rounds

Total: 49 rounds

To bump up the question a bit (since I think I remember this as a topic quite a while ago), how much ammo should/do you carry for your backup gun (BUG)?

I only have the charged magazine in mine.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I carry at least 2 spare 8 round mags for the colt commander 45 for 25 rounds total and the M&P45c I only have 1 spare for right now due to mag shortage so 17 rounds total,the P11 has 12+1 and 10 round xtra mag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I carry a full gun and one mag right now with my current EDC for 24+1. I am working on getting a second mag to keep my other one company in the dual mag holder I have. Then it will be 36+1.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I carry at least one extra mag.
    But what the heck, nobody ever wished they had less ammo during a fire fight. A whole lot have wished for more.

YEP..........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Is it dead wrong for thinking a MK40, LCP (i know the .380 argument), or .357 is not sufficient without bonus ammo. With the lcp/khar, your could carry 1 spare for mag failure as seems the best practice, but thats still just 12-14 rounds. My carry choice for revolver has 5 rounds. But my revolver has never had a failure of any kind. I will never knock anyone who carries more ammo, but i also cant see myself in a situation needing 40 rounds. Am i asking for it? If your more than 7yrds, I'm probably not firing unless your trying to close that distance. Inside 7, I feel plenty confident with my chances. Is that wrong. Am i falsely comfortable or equipped to protect the wife and twins?

3, 6 rd mags of .380 Hornady Critical defense for my LCP.
    2, 7 rd mags of Speer Gold Dot +ps for my 9.

34 rds total. That otta cover it it until I get home.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I carry two spare magazines with whatever semi-auto I choose to carry.

52 rounds for the Glock 17
    46 rounds for the Glock 19

Some of you might think that is way too much, but better to have more than not enough, and there is no state law restricting how much ammo I can carry.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I always find it interesting to read of a non-LEO carrying more than one spare mag (12+ rnds per mag). When I worked for the military and traveled to Iraq and Afghanistan, we were issued three, 15 rnd mags for the M9 and yet there are non-LEOs here saying they carry more than that. Is where they're going more dangerous than Iraq/Afghanistan?

I can understand carrying a spare mag if your magazine only carries seven or eight rounds, if you're going camping or passing through a dangerous area that simply cannot be avoided, but to carry more than that seems a little odd to me. I can understand a LEO carrying more since they're expected to stay in the fight, but I'm not law enforcement so I'm going to get the heck out of Dodge. I would expect the number of civilians that have gone through more than one mag in a self defense situation to be very small.

I typically carry 15 rnds in the mag that's in the gun. Every mag I carry has Wolff extra power mag springs and I've made sure they're in top condition.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    beat me to it

off duty I carry 10+1 in the G30, 2 G21 13round spares

on duty its G17 17+1 and 2 spares (soon to be a Keltec P11 bug 12+1 and 1 spare)
    in the car its Mr 870 4+1 with 10 extra

I'm of the opinion that one reload is minimum no matter what one carries, however there is a saying that 2 is 1 and 1 is none
    I'd rather go through the "trouble and hassle" of carrying 2 spare mags and never need them in my entire life than to get caught where the brown stuff hits the spinning thingy and wish I had another mag.

The part in bold makes me chuckle. I have a friend that believes in living in a "magazine rich environment."

It seems he got that way after a two on one shootout. He was carrying his 1911 variation, Colt Combat Commander, and met two felons. When it was all said and done one felon was DRT, other was wounded and he, mi amigo, was down to one bullet.

He went through three magazines, and was left with the last round being in the chamber. Now maybe you can criticise his tactics, or lack there of, but he did survive and one of them didn't. He tells me that the next day he went out and bought every 1911 magazine he could find from all the gunstores in that town.

The thing is, one never knows how many rounds they are going to need. I train with, and carry two reloads at work. So why would I want to deviate from that when I'm not at work? When I take the "Joe Schmuckatelli Tactical Mall Ninja" course they require a gun with two reloads. Why would I want to deviate from that training, let alone the training from work?

Just some food for thought. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links