Spare Mags??? - Page 4

Spare Mags???

This is a discussion on Spare Mags??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cz75luver I always find it interesting to read of a civilian carrying more than one spare mag (12+ rnds per mag). When ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spare Mags???

Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    I always find it interesting to read of a civilian carrying more than one spare mag (12+ rnds per mag). When I worked for the military and traveled to Iraq and Afghanistan, we were issued three, 15 rnd mags for the M9 and yet there are people here saying they carry more than that. Is where they're going more dangerous than Iraq/Afghanistan?

I can understand carrying a spare mag if your magazine only carries seven or eight rounds, if you're going camping or passing through a dangerous area that simply cannot be avoided, but to carry more than that seems a little odd to me. I can understand a LEO carrying more since they're expected to stay in the fight, but I'm not law enforcement so I'm going to get the heck out of Dodge. I would expect the number of civilians that have gone through more than one mag in a self defense situation to be very small.

I typically carry 15 rnds in the mag that's in the gun. Every mag I carry has Wolff extra power mag springs and I've never had a problem with any of them.
    Most of us armed citizens will be alone, with no hope of backup or help if we ever need to use our sidearms.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I typically carry 15 rnds in the mag that's in the gun. Every mag I carry has Wolff extra power mag springs and I've made sure they're in top condition.
    If you do have a magazine problem in the midst of a shooting incident, however...what do you plan to reload with when you remove the damaged magazine? Or if you have a double-feed (not an uncommon issue in some guns), and you have to forcefully strip the mag to clear it, do you intend to put the same (now potentially damaged) magazine back in the gun?

When you were in the sandbox (thank you for your service), did you ever actually get into a handgun firefight where you went through more than one magazine? If not, why did you bother continuing to carry the spares? After all, if you did not need them, no point in carrying them.

It all boils down to what Sixto said...I have never heard anyone complain that they had too much ammunition in a firefight. More than once, however, I have heard the opposite. Why not be as prepared as reasonably possible? It is reasonable for me to carry my M4 slung across my back when I go to the mall? Nope. Is it reasonable for me to add 1 or 2 spare mags to my already concealed beltline? You betcha'!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    The part in bold makes me chuckle. I have a friend that believes in living in a "magazine rich environment."

It seems he got that way after a two on one shootout. He was carrying his 1911 variation, Colt Combat Commander, and met two felons. When it was all said and done one felon was DRT, other was wounded and he, mi amigo, was down to one bullet.

He went through three magazines, and was left with the last round being in the chamber. Now maybe you can criticise his tactics, or lack there of, but he did survive and one of them didn't. He tells me that the next day he went out and bought every 1911 magazine he could find from all the gunstores in that town.

The thing is, one never knows how many rounds they are going to need. I train with, and carry two reloads at work. So why would I want to deviate from that when I'm not at work? When I take the "Joe Schmuckatelli Tactical Mall Ninja" course they require a gun with two reloads. Why would I want to deviate from that training, let alone the training from work?

Just some food for thought. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Yikes!

Time for the BeltFeed:

Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Is where they're going more dangerous than Iraq/Afghanistan?
    Gang bangers travel in packs, you just never know. Cheers.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I guess I can see carrying a spare magazine in the event the one in the pistol failed for whatever reason. That makes sense.

Ammo and the old saying "its better to have it and not need it, than need it and be SOL) or somthin like that.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

My P2000 mags hold 13. I carry one in the pipe BUT I do not top off the carry mag.

On the advice of my CCW instructor, I carry only 1 spare 13 rnd mag in case of malfunction, that's it. My CCW instructor is a Sgt LEO & has testified as an an expert witness in firearms cases. He's seen over-zealous DAs go after normal citizens who have been in shootouts & carried more than one spare mag. Those kind of DAs like to imply that a person carrying that much extra ammo is a Cowboy, looking for a fight.

Most firearms encounters involving citizens like us involve 2-3 rnds total & occur at a distance of less than 10' & are over very quickly. With the 25 rnds I carry, I feel that I could hold my own until help arrives.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

6+1 in the weapon and an 8 round spare mag. A little light by some standards, but that's what I can manage for 24/7 carry with my attire, occupation, etc. I'm not LEO or in a high risk lifestyle so if I go through all 15 rounds and still can't get myself out of the situation then my number may just be up. Gotta go sometime and at least I will have put up a fight.

EDC, G26, full mag and one in chamber, two xtra mags weak side. ALWAYS...did I say ALWAYS....BUG, LCP, full mag and one in chamber, one xtra mag in pocket.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I carry an extra mag probably half the time. I pocket carry, so depending on what shorts I'm wearing, an extra mag is often cumbersome and I get lazy.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links