No firearms signs at 2 places

This is a discussion on No firearms signs at 2 places within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I started carrying I never really noticed these. When I started carrying about 6 months ago I started actually looking for them and so ...

Thread: No firearms signs at 2 places

No firearms signs at 2 places

Before I started carrying I never really noticed these. When I started carrying about 6 months ago I started actually looking for them and so far have only found 2 in places that I frequent. The thing I find a bit funny about this is they are 2 of the places I feel LEAST safe. Not because of the signs but because of the location. Luckily in Indiana it's not illegal to carry when there is a sign posted. They can just ask you to leave.

#1 - The movie theatre. Both theatres in the city I live in have no firearms signs posted. Me and my wife both work till seven so if we go to see a movie it's usually a a 9 o'clock show. By the time we are walking out of the show it's past midnight. Big fairly dark parking lot after midnight with a ton of punks hanging around. Yeah, thanks, I'll keep my firearm.

#2 - The mall. Same thing here. By the time we are walking to our car it's dark out. There is one security guard driving around a MASSIVE parking lot that wraps around the enitre mall that is huge. Tons of punks hanging around. Once again, thanks but I'll keep my firearm.

It still amazes me that business owners think that those signs are going to keep criminals from carrying a firearm into their establishment.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    It still amazes me that business owners think that those signs are going to keep criminals from carrying a firearm into their establishment.
    Don't you know? There's an invisible bad guy fence that keeps them all out!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Hand the management one of these. Make sure you have your phone number on it and ask them to call if they have questions. Be polite and tell them you are spreading the word that gun owners are not welcome.

http://equalforce.org/documents/nogunnomoney_Kansas.pdf
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If a business wants to cut their own throat, I just let them.
    If my licensed and concealed pistol is not welcome, that's just fine with me, there are plently of other places without silly signs that will enjoy having me spend my money in their establishment.
    As far as a major mall, I haven't been to one in almost two years. There are plently of smaller more secure stores for me to shop in.
    I hate getting malled
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Here in Tx they have to post the 30.06 signs, in both english and spanish. I've only ever seen them at hospitals or other major medical complexes. I haven't been to a mall in ages... "Mall is a four-letter word"... Last movie my wife and I saw in a theatre was one of the Lethal Weapon movies...

Other than the grocery store, I only shop at Academy sports, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, my local gun shop and occasionally WW, looking for ammo.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Sadly, in many states the sign can be ignored, with the greatest offense being trespass, and only if you're asked to leave and you don't: I say sadly, for here in Ohio, knowingly carrying into a posted no carry zone (or an unposted one such as someplace serving alcohol by the drink, a governmental entity, church or place of worship without permission of same, school safety zone) ... well, here in Ohio it's a felony.
    Just another of the Buckeye State's stupid laws.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

My youngest son and I went to the Regal Movies about a month ago, on my motorcycle. After we bought the tickets, he sees the sign on the door. I told him that they don't mean anything in PA., and that since we were on the bike I had nowhere to put it anyhow.
    I was at the range the following week, and met a gentleman who does security for Regal part time. He said he never noticed the sign, but he thought that people that CC are his back up. He said the same thing about it meaning nothing in PA. They can ask you to leave, but it is only trespass if you don't. Concealed means Concealed.

I know people here in Ohio who claim they won't get their CHL because you "can't carry anywhere". In fact, I've seen far FEWER "No Guns" signs than I EVER expected. Where I live, other than statutorily barred places (liquor establishments, etc.), VERY few places are posted. NONE of the grocery stores are. NONE of the banks are. The used book store is, but the new Books a Million isn't. The two big malls in the area are posted, but the one across the street from the office isn't. The two mall parking lots are posted, but that's only civil trespass, IF you get caught. Put your gun in the glove box or trunk before you go there and you WON'T get caught. They can only order you to leave anyway.

Almost the ONLY place I HAD to go, not barred by law that was posted was Kinkos, and they've UNposted since I started carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I know people here in Ohio who claim they won't get their CHL because you "can't carry anywhere".
    Too bad one could say that you can't get robbed anywhere...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Michigan has a stupid law about entertainment complexes intended to fit more than 2500 people in them... so most movie theatres around here are a no-go already. The ones that are small enough to be okay.. are in the parts of town I don't really want to visit, no matter how much weaponry I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Sadly, in many states the sign can be ignored, with the greatest offense being trespass, and only if you're asked to leave and you don't: I say sadly, for here in Ohio, knowingly carrying into a posted no carry zone (or an unposted one such as someplace serving alcohol by the drink, a governmental entity, church or place of worship without permission of same, school safety zone) ... well, here in Ohio it's a felony.
    Just another of the Buckeye State's stupid laws.
    Just to be clear here about Ohio's laws:

1. If forbidden by Ohio law like a school or government building, it's a felony.

2. Private property "no guns" sign, is a misdemeanor criminal trepass.

3. Private property "no guns" in a parking lot is only a civil trespass.

Links