Texas CC - prevalance of 30.06 signs

This is a discussion on Texas CC - prevalance of 30.06 signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tex45acp I have seen quite a few of both in my travels. What I see mostly is the "Unlicensed Carry of a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas CC - prevalance of 30.06 signs

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    I have seen quite a few of both in my travels. What I see mostly is the "Unlicensed Carry of a Firearm....." in resturaunts, grocery & conveinence stores, etc.
    If I see the 30.06 or 51% signs, I take my business elsewhere.
    In general, I don't patronize businesses with 30.06 signs. Sometimes, though, it's unavoidable -- some hospitals, for example.

I don't hold the 51% sign against the business. That's simply a legal requirement and the proprietor of the establishment doesn't have an option if they're making 51% or more of their revenue from sales of alcohol for consumption on the premises. I wish that weren't a requirement, but that's currently the hand we're dealt, until we can get it changed.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    In general, I don't patronize businesses with 30.06 signs. Sometimes, though, it's unavoidable -- some hospitals, for example.

I don't hold the 51% sign against the business. That's simply a legal requirement and the proprietor of the establishment doesn't have an option if they're making 51% or more of their revenue from sales of alcohol for consumption on the premises. I wish that weren't a requirement, but that's currently the hand we're dealt, until we can get it changed.
    I agree. I dont like doing business with businesses that post optional 30.06 signage, however I have no problem with businesses with the 51% sign. They're just complying with the law, no option about it.

I don't like to support businesses with 30.06 posted either, but there is one exception, Memorial Southeast Hospital. Because of my medical condition LOL.

Forgive my beligerance with my statements!!! I do understand those unavoidable exceptions like medical facilities. What I was referring to were standard retail establishments that posted either the 30.06 or 51%, to basically keep law abiding, CHL and handgun carrying patrons out of their business'. Sometimes the frustration overtakes rational typing!!!

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I think most people were just trying to make sure you knew that 51% signs are mandated by law based on the relative volume of alcohol sold (and thus the type of liquor license) and are not the fault of the business owner, but rather the laws of the state of Texas...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Unlicensed sign?

Does anyone know where to get one of the signs that prohibit "Unlicensed Carry of a Firearm"? I cant find it, I seem to recall it on the DPS site?

A friend of mine owns a piece of property with a business on it and while he is a fan of CHL people he wants to post that no unlicensed firearms are allowed.

Thanks!

Alex!

The only 51% sign where I really take the business to task is the one at Jared Galleria of Jewelry on I-10W in San Antonio. I don't know who they're selling the alcohol to, but a friend told me he couldn't even get a beer there. Can these guys not read or what?

All the other Jared's, by corporate policy, have legal 30.06 signs, which is why I'll never buy a thing from them.

Let me put in another plug for Texas3006.com. It's a great resource, and one we can all have a hand in keeping up to date.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Does anyone know where to get one of the signs that prohibit "Unlicensed Carry of a Firearm"? I cant find it, I seem to recall it on the DPS site?

A friend of mine owns a piece of property with a business on it and while he is a fan of CHL people he wants to post that no unlicensed firearms are allowed.

Thanks!

Alex!
    The only sign like that I can think of is the one that says that the unlicensed carry . . . is a felony . . .

This sign is required and is only valid in places that sell alcohol. If your friend's business sells alcohol, he should already have one. If he doesn't sell alcohol putting one of these up won't mean anything. It is already illegal for someone without a license to carry a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Does he really believe that someone who is illegally carrying is going to pay any attention to the sign?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Does he really believe that someone who is illegally carrying is going to pay any attention to the sign?
    He should probably also post a "NO CRIME ALLOWED" sign.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Some hospital have 30.06 signs at the emergency room entrance, but not at the main entrance. This is a real problem for me as I am in and out of hospitals quite a lot. I never really know if the whole hospital is posted or just the emergency room area. Nursing homes very from home to home, some have 30.06 signs and others just firearms prohibited signs. It seems the law is not addressed by many hospitals and business with entrances on different sides of the building.

I didnt know Grapevine Mills mall had a sign. My wife finally caught on when as we were about to walk into a place, I would step to the side and read every sign on the front door. Not that many around Ft worth/Mansfield area. Thats a good website that has places with signs. If everyone would sign up on this site and enter the businesses as they find them, this will turn out to be a very usefull website.

Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    The only 51% sign where I really take the business to task is the one at Jared Galleria of Jewelry on I-10W in San Antonio. I don't know who they're selling the alcohol to, but a friend told me he couldn't even get a beer there. Can these guys not read or what?

All the other Jared's, by corporate policy, have legal 30.06 signs, which is why I'll never buy a thing from them.

Let me put in another plug for Texas3006.com. It's a great resource, and one we can all have a hand in keeping up to date.
    The last time I checked, the Jared's Jewelry store outside Hulen Mall in Fort Worth has the 30.06 sign, but, IMO, it does not appear to be legal. On the glass to the left of the double doors it is in Engllish, on the glass to the right of the door, it is in Spanish. Someone approaching the door from one side would only see one of the signs, therefore, they would not have been given proper notification, IMO, according to the statute. Also, the sign is white lettering stuck to the inside of the glass. In certain lighting conditions, it would be almost impossible to read it. But, whether the sign is technically legal or not, I never go there because they apparently do not want my business.

Those of you talking about Grapevine Mills (I'll assume Katy Mills since it's also a Simon Property), have you actually read the signs?

The verbiage does not meet the requirements of 30.06. I believe they use the old verbiage.

And as said, the 51% signs (which meant nearly nothing to a CHL holder until Sept. 1 this year) are a requirement of TABC. The business has no say in whether a CHL holder can carry there, Texas law prohibits it. As of Sept 1 however, the sign must be properly posted, prior to, it was up to us to know. But it should be plain and clear what business would be a 51% business. ie. a restaurant that serves alcohol would have a food and bev. license so alcohol sales can not be above 51%.

Also, if a business has 51% sign improperly posted, you can report it to TABC.

Those "Illegal carry of firearms" signs are also a TABC requirement for businesses that sell alcohol "not" for on premises consumption, like liquor stores, convenience stores etc. They don't mean anything to CHL holders, it just tells the person already illegally carrying that the penalty is heavier there. So for the friend that wants to post a sign, I'd ask why he wants to spend money to tell someone who is committing a crime, that they are committing a crime. It's kinda silly.

And lastly, I'll go a different direction on the 30.06 site. I know the guy put a lot of effort into it and has good intentions but it's all but worthless because of all the garbage that's reported on the site. It really needs tighter reporting filters. People report 51% signs and as we should all know now, it's State law, not the business. And 99% of the 30.06 reports are false. "No guns allowed" does not prohibit a CHL holder from carrying so why report it as a 30.06 posted business? Why report anything that does not meet the requirements of 30.06? If it's not valid, it doesn't exist.

The ones that are valid, like the medical facilities and Hospitals, there are reasons those places are posted, and sometimes why some but not all entrances are posted. No one should really get upset about those. Not very many churches are reported yet most of the mega-churches are posted. Those SHOULD be reported so people know. AMC Theater that has a postcard sized transparent sign on the bottom of a window is irrelevant, yet people go nuts. More silliness.
    Kimber Pro Carry HD, Bobtailed
    Kimber Combat Carry
    Ruger LC9
    Ruger MkII .22 Target
    S&W M&P .38 Special

Quote Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
    And lastly, I'll go a different direction on the 30.06 site. I know the guy put a lot of effort into it and has good intentions but it's all but worthless because of all the garbage that's reported on the site. It really needs tighter reporting filters.
    They are getting better, I tried to report a gun buster sign and it was rejected on the basis that it was not an attempt at a 30.06 posting.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links