Texas CC - prevalance of 30.06 signs

This is a discussion on Texas CC - prevalance of 30.06 signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't seen many of these signs. I don't know if I'm missing them or if it's just not that common. For EDC how often ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas CC - prevalance of 30.06 signs

Texas CC - prevalance of 30.06 signs

I haven't seen many of these signs. I don't know if I'm missing them or if it's just not that common.

For EDC how often is it that you have to change your plans, leave your gun in your car, park further away because you can't have the gun in the car in the p/l, etc.?

I'm just wondering how much of a headache that part of the law is?

2. Remove Ads

jgp
    We have it pretty good here. Except for:

Six Flags
    Grapevine Mills Mall
    Ft. Worth Stock Show
    Ft. Worth Zoo (inside the gates, after you've paid admission!!)

And the usual:
    Bars
    Courthouses or offices of the court
    Polling places
    Hospitals and nursing homes*
    Churches or other place of worship*
    * only if effective notice is given

A few others, but if you look at some of these you'll see them. It's rare that I'm caught off guard and have to return to the car. That mall was one of those. Here's a cool resource for TX CHL:

Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home

Not affiliated, just appreciative.

I had my first reciprocity experience into Louisiana last week. Those folks can't carry into restaurants that serve alcohol period. I didn't see any kind of signs up anywhere though. I guess you'd just better know.

Jerry
    Texas CHL Instructor
    http://safety-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by jgp View Post
    I had my first reciprocity experience into Louisiana last week. Those folks can't carry into restaurants that serve alcohol period. I didn't see any kind of signs up anywhere though. I guess you'd just better know.

Jerry
    You were misinformed on that; I carry in Louisiana all the time and have done my home work on it. There are two types of liquor licenses in LA, one is a class A which is for a bar or bar area of a restaurant. The other is a class AR, which is for a restaurant that serves alcohol with it's meals.

It is illegal to carry in a bar that has only a class A license or in the bar area of a place that has a class AR license. It is perfectly legal to carry in the restaurant area of a place that has a class AR license.

The easiest way to tell if it's off limits, is if you can take an under aged person in the place for a meal, you are ok to carry there. For instance, you can not take a child in a bar to eat, but you can take them into a TGIF.

Of course, if the place is posted against firearms, you can not carry regardless of the type of liquor license it has.

On a side note, open carry is legal in Louisiana, however I don't, because I feel it gives the bangers an advantage if they know I'm carrying.
    John Luttrell

VIP Member
    Here in the Houston/Sugar Land area the only places I have seen them is at hospitals and other major medical complexes...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Rarely see a legal sign down here in the "Valley",usually any court buildings,federal,or posted hospitals,any place I don't have to go that's posted don't get my business,If I know I can't carry inside I plan in advance to take my jeep instead of my bike
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

jgp
    Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    You were misinformed on that; I carry in Louisiana all the time and have done my home work on it. There are two types of liquor licenses in LA, one is a class A which is for a bar or bar area of a restaurant. The other is a class AR, which is for a restaurant that serves alcohol with it's meals.

It is illegal to carry in a bar that has only a class A license or in the bar area of a place that has a class AR license. It is perfectly legal to carry in the restaurant area of a place that has a class AR license.

The easiest way to tell if it's off limits, is if you can take an under aged person in the place for a meal, you are ok to carry there. For instance, you can not take a child in a bar to eat, but you can take them into a TGIF.

Of course, if the place is posted against firearms, you can not carry regardless of the type of liquor license it has.

On a side note, open carry is legal in Louisiana, however I don't, because I feel it gives the bangers an advantage if they know I'm carrying.
    Thanks for the clarification, John. Handgunlaw.us does use the wording "class A license" but doesn't mention that there is another type. Then it goes on to try to clarify:

"Carry in Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
    NO
    Note: What is defined as carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol is a place like Friday’s or Red Lobster. This does not mean a bar or the bar area of a restaurant. Handgunlaw.us believes you should
    never consume alcohol when carrying your firearm. In some states it is illegal to take even one drink
    while carrying a firearm."

I guess that's what I get for only reading the "Cliff Notes" version.
    Texas CHL Instructor
    http://safety-on.com

CJ810, like JGP said we have it good around here.

Be sure to check out Texas 30.06 and make your contributions.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The Attorney General of Texas, thatt time in 1995, (Dan Morales), before he was indicted, gave a letter ruling that if the business was to post that sign prohibiting firearms, they were assuming the risk of protecting all employees and customers in their establishment. If some used a gun in their establishment as a weapon,they were LIABLE for the safety of everyone. That is why most businesses do not have them. Those that do,have decided to ignore this caveat. He made the ruling in response the BOMA orginazation of businees Office Managemant organization. If they post, and if something happens,they can be sued out of existence. I do not think this has been repealed, to my knowledge; just a citizen, not a legal eagle.

I've run across very few 30.06 signs. The 51% sign, though, yeah I've seen plenty of those...

Very, very rarely in the DFW area. And when I do, they are not correct, and therefore ignored.

BTW: You used to be able to go to Grapevine Mills mall and get in via the Gamestop entrance. Place might not be there anymore, but back in the day they refused to post the sign, and was the only exterior door that did not have it. Everyone with a CHL new to use that door to get in and out of the mall. ;-)

If the Ft.Worth Zoo property is owned by the city (tax payers) the 30.06 sign is most likely an illegal post.
    PC 30.06 part 3e.
    Last edited by kj5634; September 20th, 2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: more info

Katy Mills mall is posted, but only at the mall entrances. The anchor stores (at least Bass Pro) are not posted, nor are the entrances from those stores into the common area of the mall.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kj5634 View Post
    If the Ft.Worth Zoo property is owned by the city (tax payers) the 30.06 sign is most likely an illegal post.
    PC 30.06 part 3e.
    Furthermore, is it enforcable/legal if it's on the grounds past the entrance? BTW, I've been there twice this summer and didn't see it... Where is it?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KE5LDO View Post
    The Attorney General of Texas, thatt time in 1995, (Dan Morales), before he was indicted, gave a letter ruling that if the business was to post that sign prohibiting firearms, they were assuming the risk of protecting all employees and customers in their establishment. If some used a gun in their establishment as a weapon,they were LIABLE for the safety of everyone. That is why most businesses do not have them. Those that do,have decided to ignore this caveat. He made the ruling in response the BOMA orginazation of businees Office Managemant organization. If they post, and if something happens,they can be sued out of existence. I do not think this has been repealed, to my knowledge; just a citizen, not a legal eagle.
    Welcome to the forum
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have seen quite a few of both in my travels. What I see mostly is the "Unlicensed Carry of a Firearm....." in resturaunts, grocery & conveinence stores, etc.
    If I see the 30.06 or 51% signs, I take my business elsewhere.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links