How many bullets are enough? - Page 2

How many bullets are enough?

This is a discussion on How many bullets are enough? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For me I have always carried an extra mag. Being here in Iraq I carry what feels like 300lbs of extra ammo for my M9 ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How many bullets are enough?

For me I have always carried an extra mag.
    Being here in Iraq I carry what feels like 300lbs of extra ammo for my M9 and my M4, so for me to carry an extra mag or two back in the states is really no inconvience at all.....

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Equate it to this..."I dont know how many of you guys it takes to kick my ass, but I know many your gonna use."-Ron White.
    The more ammo the marrier.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar

Terminl Balistics as viewed from a morgue.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    In my time in the Army, I never felt worried because I had too much ammo (even when toting an M60). As a civilian, I've never worried that I was overdoing it by having an extra mag or two.

We are, however, bound by practical concerns, such as comfort and concealability. My EDC is a compact 1911, with a 7+1 loading. I typically carry an extra 8-round mag. When I pocket carry my P-3AT, I load 6+1 with an extra 6-round mag. If I carry my Detective Special, I load 6 rounds and carry a 6-round speed loader. If I've got a BHP, it's 15+1 with an extra 15. Having at least one reload is an ingrained practice.

I don't expect to need the reloads, but I sacrifice nothing by carrying them, and in the very rare circumstance that I might have to use my handgun at all, they might make a difference.

Unlike LEOs and active military, I don't have to put myself in harm's way as a normal practice. Instead, I try to avoid hazardous conflicts. The best defense is to be somewhere else. If I knew that a conflict was likely and unavoidable, I certainly wouldn't choose a handgun as a primary weapon. I'd grab an AR w/ lots of extra mags, plus a 12-gauge, maybe a Barrett .50, and I'd probably wish I had that M60!
    +1 Beautifully said

I am not a doctor or a lawyer but I do talk to medical people all the time. After reading Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue, I have started asking some of the medical professionals I know about what they see when they treat gunshot wounds (Damage specific without violating HIPA) and they seem to agree with deadmeat2. I shoot center mass, that puts my rounds through clothes (possibly a jacket) and then through the sternum. If I change EDC rounds it will be from .45 1911 to a 10mm 1911 since that is the weapon my hands know best. Short of a vest the 10mm will punch through clothes, sternum, ribs, and most other things to reach center mass without being redirected by bone. Also this will give me a few more rounds that its counterpart in .45 as a bonus. The down side of this change is that I do not know of a 3in barrel version of a 10mm 1911 so this will probably be a winter carry/car gun.

Or more specifically I want the maximum amount of stopping power in those 2-3 rounds. With 2 8rd backup mags on me.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I now carry my Glock-36 daily...6 + 1, an extra mag makes me feel pretty comfortable for the places I go and what 'I think' I might encounter.
    If I have to use lethal force, a few 'well-placed' rounds are better than 14 mags of 'pray and spray'...OMO

Stay armed...get training and practice (it'll beat five extra mags anytime)...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    Being here in Iraq I carry what feels like 300lbs of extra ammo for my M9 and my M4

That's nuts! Never ceases to impress me what US soldiers are capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by RmScadd View Post
    I am confused.

How many bullets is enough?
    One more than absolutely needed. How many will that be? Dunno. My crystal ball was issued DOA, same as yours.

I have read that most firearms encounters occur ...
    Blah, blah, blah.

What happens to you, next time, won't be average. It'll be whatever it is. You'll either prepared for that or not. It's that simple.

So, you get to choose the right mix that works for you, within the confines of reliability, size, weight, convenience, cost, comfort, and so on. Everything has a cost. And everyone's going to value the mix differently.

Why then do I read so much on this forum about topping off the mag after chambering a round, carrying extra mags, etc. My Sig will allow 15+1, so if I carry two extra mags, I will have 45-46 rounds. Why do so many consider this the right thing to do with CC?
    IMO, basically: if you've got the ability to carry one more round, then doing so ain't gonna kill you. While the flipside might be true: not having it just might.

It's also not strictly about round count. What if your gun jams; what if your magazine fails; what if ... The point is, you double-up or triple-up the guards against failure, so that you won't get caught with just your finger and a phone when the chips are down. You don't know for certain whether a failure of equipment will occur, or whether you'll drop a magazine, or whatever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think it's pretty well been said. Carry what you feel comfortable with, and then add one more mag. Most auto accidents are minor fender benders. The rest are somewhere beyond that. If you're in a "fender bender" confrontation one mag will probably do. If, God forbid, you're in a "nine car pile up" type encounter one mag ain't going to get the job done.

After 40 years of showers and sleeping in clean sheets, I still dream the same dream. I'm in the jungle and I ran outa ammo. I still wake up sweating and scared to death. Scared because I RAN OUT of AMMO.

Every morning these days I dress with two: J frame 642 and SP101 and two speed strips. (Before 9-11 just one, a J frame ,was needed to make me comfortable). Every morning I ask myself if that is enuff.....odds are "yes". Yet it is still an arguement. Good luck answering that question for yourself.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

I think the consensus is as many as "you" need. The point at which I feel prepared is going to be different from everyone else here.

I am confused. I have read that most firearms encounters occur between 2-3 meters, last 2-3 seconds, and involve 2-3 shots being fired. Why then do I read so much on this forum about topping off the mag after chambering a round, carrying extra mags, etc. My Sig will allow 15+1, so if I carry two extra mags, I will have 45-46 rounds. Why do so many consider this the right thing to do with CC?

Thanks for your advice and opinions. I am learning a great deal from all of you.

i'm sorry, but why would you even need to ask someone an answer to this question?? what if a BG has a gun and a couple extra mags? what are you going to do with 3 bullets? pray for a headshot? ha.

it's like my dad says to everyone who tells him "chances are you'll never come across an instance where you'll need to use your gun, let alone an extra mag" - he always replies, "i'd rather have an extra mag and never use it, than to need an extra mag and not have one..."

i'll be honest- i don't carry an extra mag on me. i have an extra one in the car, along with a box of 50 in my trunk, but nothin on me personally except my 12+1 .40.....
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

I am confused. I have read that most firearms encounters occur between 2-3 meters, last 2-3 seconds, and involve 2-3 shots being fired. Why then do I read so much on this forum about topping off the mag after chambering a round, carrying extra mags, etc. My Sig will allow 15+1, so if I carry two extra mags, I will have 45-46 rounds. Why do so many consider this the right thing to do with CC?

Thanks for your advice and opinions. I am learning a great deal from all of you.
    I'm comfortable with a 5-shot revolver with no extra ammo. Actually, I'm comfortable not carrying a gun at all. In my life circumstances, the chance I'll need to fire a gun in self defense is very low. The chance I'll need to reload is even lower. The cheeseburgers I eat are a greater threat to my health than bad guys trying to get me.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Unfortunately, BGs do not consult statistics to make sure that you receive an average SD encounter. And unless you have ice water running through your veins, when the SHTF you will pull the trigger on that BG until the gun stops firing. You will use it until the threat stops.

If there is anyone else around, like extra BGs or remaining perceived threat, you will want that extra mag.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Its just a level of preparedness that I have been doing most of my life. IMO, It's always better to error on the side of caution, just apply the philosophy as needed. That, and I'd rather have to many, then not enough.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    I'm comfortable with a 5-shot revolver with no extra ammo. Actually, I'm comfortable not carrying a gun at all. In my life circumstances, the chance I'll need to fire a gun in self defense is very low. The chance I'll need to reload is even lower. The cheeseburgers I eat are a greater threat to my health than bad guys trying to get me.
    Quite an interesting outlook on your life that you've stated.

Someone once passed this little observation along to me: "If something bad happened to someone else, it can happen to you. Don't exist in a state of denial. Just because we don't want to face an attacker tomorrow does not mean it will not happen."

An instructor once said this to me in regards to "Warrior Spirit": "I know what Warrior Spirit is. I know what people who have it look like. I cannot give it to you, you cannot buy it, and without it you are very likely to fail. Without it you are very likely to think carrying your gun is a burden, will get you in trouble, or won't be needed..

For me that kind of says it all.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I think you just need to find a balance you can live with. There are so many ways you could find yourself in a SHTF scenario - and most of the ones that come to my mind would not find me using the pistol I have with me. Perhaps that's because I've experienced quite a few already: tornado ripping my home apart, car losing a wheel going 80mph, boat tipping over while somewhere in the ocean, bicycle going one way while I end up another... As well as the major BG situation I've personally experienced: my home being robbed while I was in it. Not feeling ready to face somebody who wasn't aware I was in the home, I called 911 while being very quiet, and the BG left immediately after hearing my cat knock something over in another room. I didn't have a firearm then but even if I did I'd still do it the same way... if they had approached me it'd be a whole different tale, I know this.

I know that it likely comes across as such because it's the topic of the forums, but it's easy to get the impression here that the only SHTF situation people here are prepared for is a BG trying to harm you/loved ones.

So I suppose I take the "Swiss Army Knife" approach.. be prepared for everything in smallish doses... and have a backup kit in my home and car for the Big Problems. And realise no matter WHAT I do, it may never be enough.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links