How many bullets are enough?

This is a discussion on How many bullets are enough? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading through the thread, I must say there have been some great answers posted here. There are a few things that come to mind ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How many bullets are enough?

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    After reading through the thread, I must say there have been some great answers posted here.
    There are a few things that come to mind for me and this is how I feel.
    #1 is shot placement, always. How good of a shot are you? How often do you practice? I consider myself a "good shot", but I also know that when SHTF things will be a lot different than standing still in a controlled environment like a shooting range. The BG will not likely stand still 21 feet away while you empty the gun into him.
    #2, what kind of gun do you carry? What caliber? How many rounds does it hold? What is the ballistic rating of the ammo you carry? I come from the "go big or go home" camp. About the smallest caliber I carry is a .357 Magnum(or a .44 or a .45). After shot placement the next most important thing for me is bullet that will penetrate and expand.
    #3 is your location. Do you live in a high crime area? A large metropolitan area where the police are likely to be reasonable close, or a very rural area, where your response time is likely to be a lot longer? Do you often travel to unfamilar places?
    These things are only some of the things to consider, since crime never makes an appointment, and bad things can happen to good people anytime, anywhere.
    At home I tend to feel more secure, even when I'm alone and carrying my own firearm and knowing there are at least 6 more loaded handguns along with an AR-15 and two 12 guage pump shotguns within fairly quick access. Outside of the house I have one(sometimes 2) and at least one reload for each, and that is my minimum.
    I doubt that if I ever have to defend myself or my family that I'll ever be upset about shooting too well, having too big of a gun, or having to much ammo available. The reverse could be a different story.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Really? So I guess my 55 rounds mean I'm screwing up somehow, huh?
    Could be, I don't know you. But if more is better is your thing then why not 110? I just threw out what I was thinking, it's easy to be offended if that's what your looking for.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I've lived in a family that carries. We all do it differently. Only two of us Carry all the time, and between us we do it radically differant. One carries one with one spare mag. I carry 3, with 3 spare mags for my primary, and a spare each for my two Bugs.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I carry 3, with 3 spare mags for my primary, and a spare each for my two Bugs.
    A great quote comes to mind, from In The Line Of Fire:
    Horrigan: "I was wondering where you hide your firearm. Don't tell me ... Let me guess."

I was wondering whether you got a truss with each gun, when you bought them? Three, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Really? So I guess my 55 rounds mean I'm screwing up somehow, huh?
    But if more is better is your thing then why not 110?
    Every mix is a choice. Whatever mix works, within the confines of size, weight, concealability, comfort, price, firepower, future psychoanalysis fees, pros/cons from chest-poking on a public discussion board ... you know. Pick the mix that works for you. But, we should try not to flick raspberries at others for their choices. It's done for reasons we don't ourselves understand any better than the person making the choice. Better to simply outline the rationale for our own choices, then leave it to others to make theirs ... without denigrating how it's made. We'd probably all be better off. Just a thought.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ... Better to simply outline the rationale for our own choices, then leave it to others to make theirs ... without denigrating how it's made.
    But... but... then they might make a decision DIFFERENT from mine! You know, WRONG!

You're absolutely right about giving the rationale for choices: for starters, I could do a Mel Gibson given my bulk (or pull the large-guy-in-jail trick), but my 100 lb daughter has fewer options for carry. Without knowing our sizes one might think that we disagree when in fact I believe the two of us are pretty much on the same page. Example #2: some who've made good financial choices can afford the extra weapon, while my foolishness in times past put me in the situation today where a BUG is waaaaaay out of the question and will be for years.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

It's a matter of preference.

With my S&W Model 36, I carry one or two (or rarely three) speed loaders. That gives me ten, fifteen (or twenty) rounds.

With my Norinco M1911, I carry two extra magazines. That gives me twenty one rounds.

With my Glock 19 and anything else that holds more than ten rounds, I carry one extra magazine. That gives me between twenty six and thirty rounds.

I've never heard (or heard of) anyone say, "I wish I'd brought less ammunition to that gunfight." You can choose not to use all of the ammunition you bring. You can't choose to use ammunition you didn't, whether you need it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    But... but... then they might make a decision DIFFERENT from mine! You know, WRONG!
    Yeah, that's about what it amounts to.

Gotta say it.

I asked this to my E8 Team Sergeant once 40+ years ago, and will always remember his reply:

When you're lying in the grass, don't ask ME for ammo.

I try to keep at least 15 rounds on me, whether that be in the gun or in the gun and in spare magazines or speed strips. With semi-autos, I usually have at least one spare magazine, not so much because I'm expecting to have to hunker down against a siege but more because, as has been said, the magazine is most likely the weak link in the semi-auto platform. I don't usually carry a BUG, but if I do I usually eschew spare magazines altogether.

Given the studies of actual shooting, I believe the extra ammo gives the average CCW person a psychological comfort. Being a non-LEO citizen I am not going to a drug bust or surround a house of a felon. Then I would carry a trunk load of ammo and would have trouble walking! For places I go, the topped off mag. in gun and a second mag. can start a small war. This would mean I would be behind cover having a shoot out. Not going to happen to this guy where I live. Carry what you feel comfortable and safe with. That is what's important plus carry a true defense caliber like 9mm/38 Special or larger. Spraying bullets is not good defense and bullet placement is important. This is just me and my opinion.

... the average CCW person ...
    Regarding statistics about "average" encounters, a very wise person once said to me:
    "The only sure thing is that an individual person's encounter with crime won't be 'average.'

The only sure problem is that an individual won't know in advance how remarkable it might be.
    "

- Anonymous

Notwithstanding the many comments here, I feel very safe with 5 rounds of .38 Special in my S&W revolver. In 50+ years, including U.S. Army service, I have never needed to point a loaded weapon at anyone, much less fire in self defense.

I guess it depends on where you live, work, or visit.

Some people get wrapped up in MACHO BRAVADO and EXCESS testOSTERONE. If you feel like more of a man because you are carrying two extra magazines, then by all means do so....

gold40

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Some people get wrapped up in MACHO BRAVADO and EXCESS testOSTERONE. If you feel like more of a man because you are carrying two extra magazines, then by all means do so....
    Who said anything about carrying reloads to feel like more of a man? How does preparedness relate to macho bravado and excess testosterone? Why do you feel the need to insult people that think differently than you?

[QUOTE=gold40;1305175]Notwithstanding the many comments here, I feel very safe with 5 rounds of .38 Special in my S&W revolver. In 50+ years, including U.S. Army service, I have never needed to point a loaded weapon at anyone, much less fire in self defense.

I wish I could say the same.

Never been a cop, have you ?

I'll just let the rest of your post go as "just so much ignorance of who you are speaking to or about" .
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Some people get wrapped up in MACHO BRAVADO and EXCESS testOSTERONE. If you feel like more of a man because you are carrying two extra magazines, then by all means do so.
    It's not a matter of chromosome count. It's a matter of failures happening, which one cannot correct without reloads; and a matter of problems involving multiple attackers, which may be difficult to withstand without reloads. Can't use what you don't have with you. That's it, and that's all. It has nothing to do with testosterone, and it's hardly bravado to recognize reality.

Are we missing something, here? Do you, perhaps, have foreknowledge that allows disregard for mechanical failures and anything other than single attackers who drop at the first round striking?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links