Ohio CCW Laws and Liquor Establishments?

Ohio CCW Laws and Liquor Establishments?

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW Laws and Liquor Establishments? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something I have just come upon and find confusing: A buddy of mine who owns a full service bar/restaurant wants me to bartend for him ...

Thread: Ohio CCW Laws and Liquor Establishments?

Question Ohio CCW Laws and Liquor Establishments?

Something I have just come upon and find confusing:

A buddy of mine who owns a full service bar/restaurant wants me to bartend for him a couple nights per week.

Ohio laws concerning CCW and liquor establishments(Statute 2923.12) are all written around having a Class D Liquor License.

Because he manufactures and bottles his own wines, he has an A-1-A and an A-2 permit. With these permits he is also allowed to sell beer and all the high proof liquors for consumption on his premises and is allowed to be open until 2 a.m.

Ohio laws concerning CCW and liquor establishments say nothing about any Class A Liquor License.

If I go to work for him, can I conceal carry there?

If I don't go to work for him, can I conceal carry there? Without drinking, of course.

Anyone with any similar experience?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Check ORC 2923.121 Possession of firearm in liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions.

Personally, I would not do it. I am not a lawyer and this is a question you may want to consult an attorney on if the law is not clear to you.

2923.121 Possession of firearm in liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions.

(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

(B)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or to a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry firearms and is acting within the scope of the officer’s, agent’s, or employee’s duties;

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry firearms, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (B)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person;

(c) Any room used for the accommodation of guests of a hotel, as defined in section 4301.01 of the Revised Code;

(d) The principal holder of a D permit issued for premises or an open air arena under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code while in the premises or open air arena for which the permit was issued if the principal holder of the D permit also possesses a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the principal holder under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the principal holder by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and as long as the principal holder is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse, or any agent or employee of that holder who also is a peace officer, as defined in section 2151.3515 of the Revised Code, who is off duty, and who otherwise is authorized to carry firearms while in the course of the officer’s official duties and while in the premises or open air arena for which the permit was issued and as long as the agent or employee of that holder is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Yep, listen to Justherenow, the clear intent of the law is that there be no carry in places that serve alcohol. Obviously the law is stupid, and hopefully we'll see it corrected soon.

Links